BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
I rented an XF last year and whilst most of the car was almost Kia levels of quality and integration the engine and gearbox combo was excellent and did not appear materially worse than that in my F10.

Soldato
Then, in all honesty, I have to assume you're not very intune with your cars. It's a well regarded fact, even within JLR, that they continue to get the ZF gearbox, horribly wrong. Do a kick down in both cars at 60mph and see what gear you end up in. In JLR cars, you'll go from 8th, to 4th, which will put you just under the redline and immediately change into 5th. The BMW, which has a much better mapping to the gearbox, will put in 5th or actually even just 6th and let the very capable engine do the work. Ironically, the Ford diesel unit in the Disco is exceptionally capable, ruined by a poor mating to a great gearbox.

The only thing I have a problem with in the Jaguars ZF box software and it isnt what you mention, is say you are heading to a roundabout. You judge that you may not have enough time to carry on without stopping, but when you get a bit closer you think there is a big enough gap if you put your foot down. So after you have taken your foot off the accelerator expecting to slow down, then split second decide to carry on and put your foot down, there is an annoying delay where the car does absolutely nothing but coast with your foot down and then the engine picks up as it should. Its only a split second of a delay but it is there.

It can be a bit unnerving as it could put you in a dangerous situation if you werent careful but you learn to drive round it. It used to happen on both the XF and XJ and to a lesser extent the 640d but it did used to happen, so perhaps its more of an autobox problem. Some of the autoboxes in the US are by far the worst for it.

Soldato
Thanks, I saw a YouTube video of someone coding EBT and it didn't look too bad. Just ordered this cable - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K0RCY9S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I presume I am looking to change 6NH to 6NS

Try and grab the F30 coding sheet, nice document that lists coding that can be done. From the coding sheet below:

AcAvate Enhanced Bluetooth Enhanced Bluetooth requires the vehicle to be equipped with HU_NBT or have a combox if you have HU_CIC or HU_ENTRY.
This enables you to stream audio via Bluetooth, enable artwork, and USB stream music as well.
If 6NH doesn’t exist, add either 6NK of 6NS.

MODIFY THE READ FA - Change 6NH to 6NK (w/o BMW Assist) or 6NS (w/ BMW Assist) from the vehicle FA.
VO CODE - CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY or HU_NBT.

Associate
The only thing I have a problem with in the Jaguars ZF box software and it isnt what you mention, is say you are heading to a roundabout. You judge that you may not have enough time to carry on without stopping, but when you get a bit closer you think there is a big enough gap if you put your foot down. So after you have taken your foot off the accelerator expecting to slow down, then split second decide to carry on and put your foot down, there is an annoying delay where the car does absolutely nothing but coast with your foot down and then the engine picks up as it should. Its only a split second of a delay but it is there.

It can be a bit unnerving as it could put you in a dangerous situation if you werent careful but you learn to drive round it. It used to happen on both the XF and XJ and to a lesser extent the 640d but it did used to happen, so perhaps its more of an autobox problem. Some of the autoboxes in the US are by far the worst for it.

Same thing happens in my A6 BiTDI, it's frequently annoying and occasionally got me into bother. As above, I usually drop into sport gearbox setting at junctions and roundabouts.

I have test driven a couple of BMWs and didn't notice much improvement.

Associate
@Bear - I get the same driving my F30 in comfort mode, anytime I get to a very busy roundabout or junction I flick it into sports mode, I've had a few brown trouser moments trying to take off in comfort mode.
Never noticed this on my F30 330D, but then again I did have the M Performance Power Kit soon after buying it. Makes the whole car a lot more cooperative, comfort becomes nearly as responsive as sport mode. Always seemed to be in the right gear!
I think the gearboxes also adjust depending on driving style - they can be reset however.

Soldato
Soldato
Annoying issue cropping up with 340i. When coming to a stop, junction or in traffic, a few times recently it has dropped out of gear, so I then go to pull off and its in neutral.

Anyone had that before?
Sounds like it may be an issue with the gear selector... is it under warranty? No other issues with the box I assume?

Soldato
Annoying issue cropping up with 340i. When coming to a stop, junction or in traffic, a few times recently it has dropped out of gear, so I then go to pull off and its in neutral.

Anyone had that before?

I’d get it in as soon as, they’ll probably replace the entire gearbox, could be the synchro? The real problem is showing the problem to the dealer as until they are convinced they’ll probably send you away.

Associate
My F11 535i passed its MOT today, as expected. Amber warning on front brake discs and pads though (iDrive says front pads due in 3800mls). Quote to replace both £595... seems a little steep or is this as expected do you think?!

Back
Top Bottom