BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
BMW told me that my front discs needed replacing as well, they quoted something like £690. Took the car to a friends garage asking for a quote on how much he would charge if I supplied the original BMW parts? The front pads needed changing but when he checked the front discs, got out his micrometer etc. he said they well within spec, no pitting and no lip so he had no idea why they said the discs needed changing. So I ordered the front pads and wear sensor, cost I around £80 and he charged me £60 to fit them.

Now I know Fox might not be happy with not using a dealer :) but there was no way I was going to give them any of my money after apparently trying to pry some money from me for work that didn't need doing.

Don
I've noticed this with dealers and discs. They always seem to want to replace them. Last time my XJ had a service it needed rear pads and they wanted to do the discs too. They only had 34k miles on them. They gave me some rubbish about braking performance being degraded unless discs and pads were changed at the same time.

Man of Honour
I think what they do is recommend disks if they don't think theyll last to the next pad change. Which means for those of us who have clue the recommendation will come to early.

Caporegime
I've noticed this with dealers and discs. They always seem to want to replace them. Last time my XJ had a service it needed rear pads and they wanted to do the discs too. They only had 34k miles on them. They gave me some rubbish about braking performance being degraded unless discs and pads were changed at the same time.

I had the same fight. I normally find I can get 2-3 pad changes per set of discs.

Soldato
That's reassuring to know! Thanks mate.

My insurer has already instructed BMW to carry out the work, so now it's just a matter of waiting to collect my car and for the two insurers to sort out the claim. Hopefully liability is admitted immediately and it doesn't turn into a long drawn out saga.

Fantastic news - the entire suspension and steering rack needs to be replaced as the impact pushed the wheel into the wheel arch. It failed alignment checks even after multiple attempts at changing it.

Another week in the shop at least and an even higher bill :(

Soldato
So finally got round to taking some pics. Alls good apart from the bolster wear.
y4mCQtdbt9tM2b5xwXo0LDLlONHHcysUQFUt5hGGyussVqVF8rKvmp71lSicf2mCdfew-YN5W-pyCw9SLMiEWtlkbEe3Y-mgkOoicxVKtaNV5zre6eIk1j5sAxHGb9-1r0Gl-UQGhq5k-s5Z8NY7ypRf-kSlBpzSFrsQYpF-5S-2LgaJfg3bC3nwzwlu9_qaVhfBbq2660Du98BGVgEkJqdyQ

y4m1bcVF1XsXiHY8DjLuscnkClKU40un8HXQyqKkmFQt-pBxemgxa8wCy7_5v34S344alLxv6nMtbY_AdKaurpWfMg-Zy4SKG-uOoDUTydsxkw9m_VeoWj4wyy4kciYdQ_5YfCYdp733RnXXrJF89OSolaKkdBWNv1C6iHl4yEXUNWwWqt-y9IeG8yEjWwC11glS5el7m3uglnvzV8-ERVKmA

y4mGn-OxgBk70vCbsyCSpg_bzlOpBft2Ubr8MbsvEmEskJaGCd5LG7-xXHo-4DPgz5QihXwjRp3EHSoFeDdOjH873Q5CJp1tECDi7o5ldvPilVV0IwnPwlqqZ7NHurxfTf8hLLWgmblCx9tR1dT0x-E5FdHE4J6WReO2F3NBxApp6gbYdAqsarOYVfcqnNO2CvqNDZIHHmmrIvkdBTak3Mr3A

y4mw9RDx3z283lS9V0tgvApvyLVgXPwRwxoYYWQeaUg4d3JteXefI_CxmNKnzTvwp1UWMx8pWTKSHrJAF-DHZtdOXuyfsyK4fclKzD9-5MYYJq8MVHiqfIHJml08Hdw0ARueI7yOeL_ly8ohZ_dZFeEFzKDveGNDHxhSMtSflP7D7-RK-mkbdiL2UEx9Y_ZjI1hjubcFr26tvzNxgmiF9cHaQ

Soldato
Woke up to find passenger headlight enclosure full of droplets/condensation today (2013 e92 m3) car isn't under warranty, I cant see any cracks or any breaks in the seal from a quick visual check, I probably don't feel confident trying to reseal it myself.
I will probably book it into a local indy next week, What sort of price should it be to re-seal the unit?

Soldato
So I'm settled on an E60 530/535d. What are the options to have? I've seen cars such as m sport/business edition. LCI is after 2008?

I would like heated seats/Spyder alloys and logic 7.

I'm leaning more towards the 530d but I am also tempted by the twin turbo set up of the 535. Though with the 535d I've read issues of thermostats failing and blocking dpfs does this also affect the 530? Or am I better to find a decent 525d as I've read it's just the map that's different compared to the 530?

Associate
Get a 535d for sure, as a person that had 2x 330Ds I always regreted not going for the 335d (it was 50% more expensive). This is not the case now, so well worth the premium on the 535D. LCI was intruduced with 07 plates. You can easily tell by the gearstick, front headlights (LED indicators) rear LED tail lights and different door card panels.

The thermostat will be tired on both of them, but the part is £50 ish from BMW (replaced on my both M57 engined and N57 engined 330D). You will have the M57 on the e60.
The engines are the same bar the two turbos and some minor differences in injectors etc.

Ran 2 330Ds for about 30k miles each . Some issues here and there but nothing major.

Last edited:
Associate
By OcUK standards, probably. E92 330D with 90k miles and a F30 330D with 107k miles. Both with 2 owners and FMBMWSH though.

Nowadays you can still get some dealer history or decent independent examples with a bit of patience. I'd have no issues with buying an 120k miles example though, provided it has good history.
Of course there are some with 5+ owners with DPF removed and dodgy remaps, and I'd steer clear of those.

Equally important is that you do some research when things go wrong. I maintained the BMW service history but did a lot of additional work on my own (glow plugs, thermostats, intake manifold gaskets are guaranteed to be shot and never replaced).

Also, things like the inevitable DSC pump failure should be handled by a refurb with lifetime warranty from ecutesting.com rather than dropping £2k at BMW.

DPF is at risk for any models bmw will say £2k for this as well but there are other options that can sort it out (professional cleaning at high temperature in an oven or even aftermarket units) for significantly less ££. Without removing it and turning it in a locomotive.

If you want a car where you just go to the dealer and never bother about anything else then it's certainly not the right option.

Associate
had my m240i for just over a week and I'm already regretting it :eek: the steering feel is so bad also its a quick car but it really does struggle to get the power down and anything other than a perfect day with warm tyres the rear tyre grip is frightening:(

Soldato
Fantastic news - the entire suspension and steering rack needs to be replaced as the impact pushed the wheel into the wheel arch. It failed alignment checks even after multiple attempts at changing it.

Another week in the shop at least and an even higher bill :(
But a perfect example of why you take it to a BMW approved repairer and it gets done properly! Hope it gets sorted soon.

Associate
I had a test drive of a 120i automatic yesterday.. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

In the past I've heard some bad things about certain car manufacturers having bad automatics (sorry, cant remember which). What's the general consensus with BMW automatics, any problems or issues I should be weary of?

Soldato
Soldato
I had a test drive of a 120i automatic yesterday.. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

In the past I've heard some bad things about certain car manufacturers having bad automatics (sorry, cant remember which). What's the general consensus with BMW automatics, any problems or issues I should be weary of?
BMW in their none-M models use the ZF 8 speed which is a very widely used gearbox and is very good, and can be almost as quick to change manually than a DCT (with sports automatic option ticked)
Even the new M5 uses the ZF 8 speed to fit with the 4WD system

What year was the 120i?

Back
Top Bottom