BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Finally took delivery 2 weekends ago, still running it up to 500 miles.

In the mean time, in for a protection detail today.

Very happy with the colour choice in the end.

2qcm4x2.jpg

Soldato
The auto mated to the 330d and 335d engine is literally a ZF match made in heaven. The same can't be said for Jaguar who have used similar ZF gearboxes (including the newer 8 speed ZF in the D4 and D5 Discovery) and still seem to just have lumped it with a default OOB map. BMW at least seem to tweak the software so it behaves beautifully.

Cant say i agree at all. Having had an XF, XJ and a f06 640d there is little to no difference at all

Man of Honour

2qcm4x2.jpg

The anthracite wheels they usually come with are so nice - why would you have them gloss black instead :(

Associate
Sorted the wipers on my Z4 today, turns out the relay was old and sticking, now the wipers stop properly at the bottom of their sweep rather than continuing back upwards a couple of cm. Not an issue at road speeds but on a motorway the wind pushing it up too meant it was a bit of a pain!

Soldato
The anthracite wheels they usually come with are so nice - why would you have them gloss black instead :(

Ferric grey is standard. I did have orbit grey option originally but didn't like the design of the 436m wheels.

I figured a year down the line I'd refurb them anthracite as a change (although not as dark as orbit grey).

Soldato

2qcm4x2.jpg

The black alloys look rather lovely here. The caveat here being that those wheels are as clean as they'll ever be! :)

Soldato
The black alloys look rather lovely here. The caveat here being that those wheels are as clean as they'll ever be! :)

They obviously lose their gloss when caked in brake dust, but they don't really change colour much compared to silver or light grey wheels. It's why I think anthracite is the best of both worlds, doesn't make the car look too blacked out (which I'll admit my car is pushing to the limit) and doesn't look dirty that quickly.

Associate
I used to have a Msport 330cd (e46)... it was a fairly big disappointment.
I bought it about 6 years back, jumping on the powerful diesel bandwagon after hearing a lot of good things about them. However...
It never felt anything like a sports coupe, it had a monumentally harsh ride and didnt seem to be particularly brilliant drive either - even after i bit the bullet and swapped out for uprated springs after it ate 2.
It always felt bloody heavy, which it was of course it was 1550 odd kilos or something like that - but most of that was in the front.
It was swift though but never felt like it was urgent... it just accelerated but you never got much of a rush ... ok a big dollop of torque but that never got carried through the red line as is the deal with most diesels.
The audio system (professional audio) was poor, i upgraded with an 8 inch sub in the ski slot and big amp but it never really felt great.

It was lovely inside though, nice cream leather and the electric seats were nice plus it had a lot of space. The movable headlights were good and it looked the part on 18s especially after i lowered it but ultimately it was a bit of a let down.
Prob should have gone for the 330ci instead but the naff Msport ride would still have been there.

Associate
So today I put a deposit down on my first ever BMW, and should be picking it up on Friday ready for a 250 mile round trip over the weekend. It's a 530D with Msport plus pack, pro-nav.. 65 plate with 23k miles on the clock. Pretty new tyres all round and 19in wheels.
Can't wait, nice little upgrade from my 2012 Mondeo

Man of Honour
So today I put a deposit down on my first ever BMW, and should be picking it up on Friday ready for a 250 mile round trip over the weekend. It's a 530D with Msport plus pack, pro-nav.. 65 plate with 23k miles on the clock. Pretty new tyres all round and 19in wheels.
Can't wait, nice little upgrade from my 2012 Mondeo

Sounds like basically the best car ever.

Associate
Shame about that... That model of 5 is dam near brilliant apart from those awful runflats which along with the 19s and Msport suspension will prob ruin the ride.

I do think the best config on the 530 would have been normal 18s with none of the rock hard sports suspension, its a 5 series diesel ... not a bloody caterham.

Interior sounds lush.

Associate
Did you use bimmercode or E-Sys?

Thread on f30post regarding coding:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777

Plenty of guides and info on that thread. Also worthwhile searching on f30post for other info regarding coding.

I’ve used the obd2 dongly thing and e-sys to code a few things on my car too. Dead easy but boy was I nervous when I first connected up.

I felt the same the first time. Seemed like a lot of info to take in from all the guides and setting up the software. Once you get into it and connect it up there's not that much to it.

Man of Honour
Shame about that... That model of 5 is dam near brilliant apart from those awful runflats which along with the 19s and Msport suspension will prob ruin the ride.

I do think the best config on the 530 would have been normal 18s with none of the rock hard sports suspension, its a 5 series diesel ... not a bloody caterham.

Interior sounds lush.

It actually rides fine on the 19 inch RFTs with M Sport suspension.

Soldato
So i paid the remaining balance on an e92 m3 yesterday, i've 'upgraded' from a porsche 996 turbo. I cant get it till saturday though as they got the wrong rear tyres delivered (i'm not complaining as 2 new rear tyres are nigh on £500). I've got a nice little 218 to pootle in till then, not quite as quick as either car but better than the alternative of a 1st gen a class. Also has a sport plus button which doesnt seem to do much, although at 650 miles from new this courtesy car may not be run in yet. Details of my m3 are its white, with a red interior and has 21,000 on the clock:D oh and it has a V8 rather than daft turbos:p. Will post pics when i get chance.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato
Cant say i agree at all. Having had an XF, XJ and a f06 640d there is little to no difference at all

Then, in all honesty, I have to assume you're not very intune with your cars. It's a well regarded fact, even within JLR, that they continue to get the ZF gearbox, horribly wrong. Do a kick down in both cars at 60mph and see what gear you end up in. In JLR cars, you'll go from 8th, to 4th, which will put you just under the redline and immediately change into 5th. The BMW, which has a much better mapping to the gearbox, will put in 5th or actually even just 6th and let the very capable engine do the work. Ironically, the Ford diesel unit in the Disco is exceptionally capable, ruined by a poor mating to a great gearbox.

Soldato
Then, in all honesty, I have to assume you're not very intune with your cars. It's a well regarded fact, even within JLR, that they continue to get the ZF gearbox, horribly wrong. Do a kick down in both cars at 60mph and see what gear you end up in. In JLR cars, you'll go from 8th, to 4th, which will put you just under the redline and immediately change into 5th. The BMW, which has a much better mapping to the gearbox, will put in 5th or actually even just 6th and let the very capable engine do the work. Ironically, the Ford diesel unit in the Disco is exceptionally capable, ruined by a poor mating to a great gearbox.

Having had a 640d and now have a XFS x260 I'd have to disagree entirely with you, the gearbox in both is mapped very very well to the engine, the XFS is very smooth and kicks down quite happily to an appropriate gear.

Back
Top Bottom