BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
It's a 320d with a splitter, it's hardly an exotic and rare sports car, the exclusivity is worthless :p

Yeah I can see the point. I still really like the look of it though. I can see past the spec but my dislike again is why oh why did they not come with projectors as standard.

Would you say a 330/335d is a better choice. I am talking E90/e91 shape.

Only reason of my looking into one is I miss driving a BMW. Sad but true. As much as I love the sound of my focus st and it goes fast in a straight line I just haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Also my mileage is forever increasing so a diesel would be a viable option doing 20k a year up and down a motorway.

Man of Honour
Isn't the D3 a 6 cylinder?

No, not the E90. It's a 4 cylinder.

Yeah I can see the point. I still really like the look of it though. I can see past the spec but my dislike again is why oh why did they not come with projectors as standard.

The reason why is that any specification added when ordered new incurred a quite hefty custom order charge for some reason, so almost all of them are zero spec EU spec cars. Which means they don't even have climate control.

Yes a much better choice.

Associate
Sorry to interrupt these absolutely lovely cars (may be a bit of a convert now...) but I thought I'd throw some pictures of my total shed in the mix. :D

The rear is the only end of the car that looks semi presentable - even if the number plate is knackered!

Blooming in the middle of the LCD screen - not the end of the world, but annoying...

It does have HK though, which I have to say is absolutely fantastic for a car audio system.

And finally... it's been to the moon! Currently on the return journey. :D
Light warnings are active because it's been fitted with LEDs rather than conventional bulbs.
Need to rectify that, or fit a decoder.

Scabby as hell, but for £650 it drives spot on. :)

I love cars like that! What a bargain even at that mileage, I’m sure you’ll get plenty more miles out of that. Looks like it was a high spec one at one time

Soldato
Just a few questions guys. I have a 1 series coupe, 120D an N47. It's an M-sport but very basic model.

When I turn on the car first it shows a small car in the dash with a date (7/18) and a distance (6000KM) The distance is on top. I presume that's when the next service is due? I have the car a few months and have done nearly 5000KM and that distance value hasn't changed. I know it got a full service at a respected BMW dealership just before I bought it so I would have thought they would have reset the service interval?

Second the dealer I purchased the car from put new tyres on the car. They are all supposed to be runflats. Now, I got a slow puncture a few days ago and it got repaired, it was a nail right in the middle of the tyre so the tyre guy said it was ok to repair. But, we got talking and he went around the rest of the car, and it turns out the only runflat tyre on the car was the one that had the slow puncture, and that runflat is pretty worn more than the other tyres. So should the dealer have put all runflats on it before selling it to me? I am not sure what my rights are here or if I have any at all. I am sorry to say that I just never checked them when I got the car. It is driving really well and there is no problem that way.

The tyre guy also said I should get the rear wheels aligned, that they looked off. He said it was hard to do. Is it something I should get done? And is it a tricky job? Since I will need to replace the rear tyres soon anyway, is it better to wait until then? Or should I get it done ASAP? How much roughly would it normally cost?

Soldato
Servicing is all condition based, so the way you drive has a major bearing on how soon the service will fall due, so you can use the indicator on the dashboard to judge when to service it.

Wheel alignment isn’t especially hard as far as I know on a 1 series. I had mine done (albeit it is the newer F20) and it took about 1 hour for a 4 wheel alignment on a hunter machine. Cost was £96 and that included alignments for the next 24 months I believe.

Soldato
Servicing is all condition based, so the way you drive has a major bearing on how soon the service will fall due, so you can use the indicator on the dashboard to judge when to service it.

Wheel alignment isn’t especially hard as far as I know on a 1 series. I had mine done (albeit it is the newer F20) and it took about 1 hour for a 4 wheel alignment on a hunter machine. Cost was £96 and that included alignments for the next 24 months I believe.

Thanks, I am a pretty sedate driver. I stay under the speed limits usually. I have just done almost 5000KM and the indicator hasn't changed yet, and the date is still the same too.

Is it 6000 for the next service it's showing, mine shows 8000 but if you look in iDrive that's for when the brake pads will need changing?

I don't know, I don't have Idrive on mine. :(

Man of Honour
If it hasn't changed its probably the brakes. It doesn't actually know how much pad is left so when it gets down to about 3000 miles it just sits there until the first stage wear sensor is triggered whereupon it continues counting down.

Why is it in km? Are you in Ireland?

Soldato
If it hasn't changed its probably the brakes. It doesn't actually know how much pad is left so when it gets down to about 3000 miles it just sits there until the first stage wear sensor is triggered whereupon it continues counting down.

Why is it in km? Are you in Ireland?

OK, so it's brakes and the date is when the next service is due? It sounds a little early as it only got a service in March.

Yes, I am in Ireland.

Associate

Only reason of my looking into one is I miss driving a BMW. Sad but true. As much as I love the sound of my focus st and it goes fast in a straight line I just haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Also my mileage is forever increasing so a diesel would be a viable option doing 20k a year up and down a motorway.

If you can find a decent LCI E90/91 330D with the N57 3.0 that would be my vote. I really enjoyed the LCI E92 I had with this engine. Plenty powerful and pretty reasonable on fuel once warmed up. The N57 is pretty reliable too. The 335d, while more powerful, is the older M57 which isn't as refined or economical.

Soldato
If you can find a decent LCI E90/91 330D with the N57 3.0 that would be my vote. I really enjoyed the LCI E92 I had with this engine. Plenty powerful and pretty reasonable on fuel once warmed up. The N57 is pretty reliable too. The 335d, while more powerful, is the older M57 which isn't as refined or economical.

Yes I read about the 330d n57 being fairly decent for what it is. There seem to be more of them compared to the 335d. I'm going to go view a couple, would you say Auto over Manual? Do the 330d come with paddle shifters like the 335d?

Associate
Yes I read about the 330d n57 being fairly decent for what it is. There seem to be more of them compared to the 335d. I'm going to go view a couple, would you say Auto over Manual? Do the 330d come with paddle shifters like the 335d?

I'd say the auto, mine was auto in M Sport trim and had paddles. Not sure if having paddles is dependant on trim/options, Fox is likely the man to answer conclusively. The ZF 6 speed generally does a decent job of keeping the engine in the vast slug of torque. Can't imagine a manual being the better option.

Soldato
The auto mated to the 330d and 335d engine is literally a ZF match made in heaven. The same can't be said for Jaguar who have used similar ZF gearboxes (including the newer 8 speed ZF in the D4 and D5 Discovery) and still seem to just have lumped it with a default OOB map. BMW at least seem to tweak the software so it behaves beautifully.

If it's like the older E6x/E9x era, paddles were spec'd with SAT (Sports Auto Transmission), which can be retrofitted and coded (shifter easy, paddles harder, but still dooable).

I added the SAT Shifter to my M57 E60 530d, coded $2TB to the VO and it made a nice little upgrade to the shift times and dash cluster (reads S1 through S6 instead of M1 through M6 when in manual mode).

Back
Top Bottom