BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
£150 for a brake fluid change? What a joke.

They used to charge about £70-80, whilst independent garages will charge around £40.

EDIT: Just looking at BMW's service website https://www.bmw-service.co.uk shows that it should only be £71 (+standard "money for old" scope of £19)

I tried this page, but when I put in my details it doesn't come up with any service options, it might be because its still under its 3 year warranty.

Could you take a screenshot of this for me?

I think this may be the price the lady on the phone at Sytner was trying to get a quote on but she said the system wouldn't let her query it the vehicle isn't 3 years old yet.

If it is only £90 I'll wait until the warranty has ended and book it in.

Cheers

Soldato
A lot of the M-lite cars being made unappealing by the PPF. The stock exhaust for example on the 140i/240i is now a lot more muted as unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust has been programmed out as well as generally being more retsrictive. No doubt there is a power loss as well. Not allowed to install an M Performance Exhaust either as it isn't compatible.

Will be i lnteresting to see what the new Z4 is like in its top trim.

I'm guessing the 340i and 440i are also affected.

The early X3 M40i had a pretty lively exhaust, so that would be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

Manuals are also disappearing because of the new emissions standards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read this, develops the same power as the straight 6 335i, does that mean that that the x40i will turn into the x45i and where will it stop?

I think the x40i remain 6 pot going forward. So the next 1 series won't have a 140i. Whilst the 2 series still might.

Not sure they have an engine under development for it though unless they string the B58 for a few more years? But then it won't be clearly faster than the new 4 pots.

The M2 just got given the S55 and so will likely just get detuned M3/M4 engines going forward.

Man of Honour
It's such a nonsense phrase. Sticking M in front of the model was the marketing teams response to Audi convincing everyone that an S3 was somehow better than a 135i Sport because the name started with S.

'M lite' just sounds so ridiculously naff.

Soldato
I have to say I agree with Fox (and that's as a previous M135i owner, a car which I think is excellent for what it is). BMW M have had nothing to do with the M140i/240i/550i, etc. Aside from having a big powerful engine and the larger M Sport brakes as standard they are completely normal 1 series, 2 series, etc. underneath. The actual M cars are very very different to the standard models from which they are derived.

Soldato
It's such a nonsense phrase. Sticking M in front of the model was the marketing teams response to Audi convincing everyone that an S3 was somehow better than a 135i Sport because the name started with S.

'M lite' just sounds so ridiculously naff.

Well BMW don't call them M-lites. But at least its a term which makes it clear its not an M car.

Soldato
I have to say I agree with Fox (and that's as a previous M135i owner, a car which I think is excellent for what it is). BMW M have had nothing to do with the M140i/240i/550i, etc. Aside from having a big powerful engine and the larger M Sport brakes as standard they are completely normal 1 series, 2 series, etc. underneath. The actual M cars are very very different to the standard models from which they are derived.
You could argue the 'full fat':p M's aren't that different to the normal models using that analogy, what other different do you get suspension and possibly a cf roof?

Man of Honour
You could argue the 'full fat':p M's aren't that different to the normal models using that analogy, what other different do you get suspension and possibly a cf roof?

Err the engine?!

M lite is nonsense rubbish owners forums have come up with to make themselves feel better about not having an M car. Which is a shame as imho the M140 etc are good enough without needing to worry about that.

They are no more M Lite than a 540i M Sport fitted with the same engine is...

Back
Top Bottom