BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Hi Guys,
in your experience how accurate are trip comp MPGs? In my mondy I know it was accurate within ~1.5 mpg, however my 4 series is way out on several refuels. I'm hand calculating 27-28mpg each time, and each time the dash is showing 32+mpg. Is there a way to recalibrate it?

Keep in mind that just because a journey shows as being x miles it's not necessarily the case. You will have sideways movement and swing out wide on bends etc. Otherwise if you're going off the trip comp then yeah...pretty far off!

Soldato
But my point is that it shouldn't matter whats being used it will be right surely? As to the above poster with mpg issues, it's not some sort of schoolboy error and using US gallons or some sort or rounding error is it?

Associate
Does anyone know the real world difference Efficientdynamics would bring on an e92 335D?
I have had an 07 (non ED) 330D in the past so I am reasonably knowledgeable about them, however I remember reading at the time it wasn't any real world difference for my manual 330D.
Looks like the book figures are quite different: 37.7mpg & 200g Co2 vs 42mpg & 177 Co2 on the ED version.

According to HonestJohn, changes include:

Auto Start-Stop (I will not be using this as I don't think it does much favours to a 10 year old car)
Brake Energy Regeneration (can't make much of a difference?)
Active aerodynamics (I assume these are some sort of flaps on the kidney grills?)
Electric power steering (this concerns me, had hydraulic power steering on my e92 330d and the feedback was amazing, the electric one on the F30 330d was very poor)
Optimum gear shift indicator (N/A for an auto)
Low rolling resistance tyres (N/A for a 335d)

My gut feeling that with stop start disabled the real world difference would be zero, is there something I am missing?

Associate
I'm 99% sure, simply because having moved from an e46 to an e92 the steering wheel was incredibly communicative on both - you'd get plenty of feedback of what's happening, when you are about to lose grip, etc. Everything was predictable and confidence inspiring.
When moving to the F30 the steering wheel feedback was basically inexistent, you felt what the car was doing through your stomach rather than the steering wheel. Much like my current A4 B8 :D, although the F30 had tons more grip.

If it was electric, then why on earth did BMW make the steering on the F30 so poor?

LE: seems like it came with two versions, again I am very confident mine was hydraulic. :)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=WD52-EUR-03-2007-E92-BMW-330d&mg=32

Last edited:
Associate
See above - on pre LCIs (mine was March 2007, M57TU) it was also available as hydraulic. Found a few pumps on the internet
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-St...E92-E93-325d-330d-330xd-DSP1829-/221885792318
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Steering-Pump-Fit-BMW/dp/B01MYPFU0D
I also kind of remember the typical cap of the power steering fluid top up, but it is fuzzy as it might have been the one on the e46. :D

The F30 was indeed very poor in terms of feedback, although mine also had VSS which apparently doesn't help. Haven't driven an F10, but I will take your word for it. :)

In any case, looks like the 335D stuck with the hydraulic one (no surprise as it's still the M57 engine even in the 335d LCI, unlike the N57 in the 330D)

Man of Honour
It was electric. Didn't know the F30 was poor though, it's fine in my F10.

Fine is subjective, it's hardly the king of feedback. Your old E39 would have been significantly better on that front.

It's interesting to see how people's mindsets change over time. I remember back in the day one of the weaknesses of the E46 M3 compared to say a 996 was steering feel. It was never that good on that front but today people seem to uphold them as good, because compared to today they probably are. My E Class is dire when it comes to feedback. It's perfect for the car but as you speed up it adds weight but not feedback and frankly feels horrible but modern drivers seem to equate that with feedback.

Colleague at work has a real old and tired 996 Cab. Rattly thing, suspension is dead and frankly needs 10K spending on it. He asked me to drive it and give him some thoughts and the thing that struck me most was within 50 yards I remembered just how good steering could be. Same when I drove an old 993 at Silverstone and all modern cars miss that, even the current GT3's. Hard to explain, you just need to go drive one to know it.

Soldato
Fine is subjective, it's hardly the king of feedback. Your old E39 would have been significantly better on that front.

It's interesting to see how people's mindsets change over time. I remember back in the day one of the weaknesses of the E46 M3 compared to say a 996 was steering feel. It was never that good on that front but today people seem to uphold them as good, because compared to today they probably are. My E Class is dire when it comes to feedback. It's perfect for the car but as you speed up it adds weight but not feedback and frankly feels horrible but modern drivers seem to equate that with feedback.

Colleague at work has a real old and tired 996 Cab. Rattly thing, suspension is dead and frankly needs 10K spending on it. He asked me to drive it and give him some thoughts and the thing that struck me most was within 50 yards I remembered just how good steering could be. Same when I drove an old 993 at Silverstone and all modern cars miss that, even the current GT3's. Hard to explain, you just need to go drive one to know it.

I can't find the exact post but my two criticisms of the E46 were the raspy engine at low revs and the lack of feedback through the wheel. Having never driven a true sports car I figured it was because I was used to old Jap cars and French hothatches.

Back
Top Bottom