BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Race car on BJ tilt bed. Cars about 1100kg, trailer circa 7-800kg.
1800kg. Close enough.
Not to tow safely it isn’t.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I’m afraid you need a bigger car.

The maximum towing weight of a 330d Touring is 1800Kg, your going to be knocking on the door of that limit plus you have to remember that whatever you are towing should not exceed 85% of the towing vehicles weight which your car and trailer will by some margin.

You need to consider something with a higher towing capacity ie a heavier tow car something like perhaps a 5 Series or an SUV.
https://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/bmw-330d-touring/

This is a review of the 3 and it’s highly regarded but not for the weight you want to pull - safely - in a nutshell if your near your towing limit the combination will not be stable which is to be avoided at all costs.

I’d look into some of the other cars listed at the base of the review, the 520d scores highly but I’d be thinking along the lines of a Discovery tbh.

Soldato
Hey guys.

Any peeps here with an F15 X5?

Been to drive an m50d over the past few days and we're very impressed with it in almost every way.

Had a nice drive of the excellent 2013 Cayenne S earlier also. The 4.2 V8 Diesel was savage, with a wedge more torque than the X5, plus it's non-DPF or AdBlue rubbish either.

Completely gone off the F-Pace as something just doesn't feel right enough inside (feels cheap and not as comfy), and even though we haven't driven the we wanted (V6 Supercharged Petrol), I don't think it'll sway us back that way.

As a note, this is to replace our 2007 Nissan Murano LPG wagon of joy as we unfortunately need something newer to satisfy car allowance criteria .

Man of Honour
It's a jacked up F11 5 Series.

Which means it's excellent, the only real downside is they are very expensive for what is now a previous generation car. A G31 5 Series touring can be had for same or less money and is a more modern and newer car.

Caporegime
VEOKfXQ.jpg

Throttle actuator gone. Stupid plastic gears bmw put in wear out. £750 each from BMW and there are two. One for each bank of 4.

Will be getting rebuild upgraded ones with lifetime warranty for much less.

Luckily the fault cleared so I can still drive it over Xmas but these actuators are a case of when not if.

Soldato
It is a really stupid design fault which could have easily been fixed with a revised part, which they annoyingly haven't done.

I've got the rebuild.org ones in mine and they've been fine since they were fitted by the previous own 2 years/30k miles ago!

Soldato
It's a jacked up F11 5 Series.

Which means it's excellent, the only real downside is they are very expensive for what is now a previous generation car. A G31 5 Series touring can be had for same or less money and is a more modern and newer car.

Thanks for that.

Agree on the logic of the new G31, there are some in the same ballpark price for a 30d, with nice spec, around 1yr old and 2-10k miles. A little slower but hardly anything in it except a bit more torque once at speed .

Luggage space is down around 70l vs the X5, which is a big thing for us when transporting the dog and stuff when going away. The estate is a little too snug inside also and we prefer the space and height of an SUV. The compromise is having a slightly older model .

But even being an older model it's well spec'd and the Heads Up Display was fantastic. Tyres will be more of a shock come replacement time, but you can grab Eagle F1 Asy 3 for £800 for 4. More annoying should a spare set of winter tyres be purchased!

It just felt right to be in and can be explained as an 'Ooooooooooo' feeling :p

Caporegime
It is a really stupid design fault which could have easily been fixed with a revised part, which they annoyingly haven't done.

I've got the rebuild.org ones in mine and they've been fine since they were fitted by the previous own 2 years/30k miles ago!
Nice. I was suspecting they would go soon as it’s starting being a bit jerky on 60-70% throttle when pulling away.

Soldato
Hey guys.

Any peeps here with an F15 X5?

Been to drive an m50d over the past few days and we're very impressed with it in almost every way.

Had a nice drive of the excellent 2013 Cayenne S earlier also. The 4.2 V8 Diesel was savage, with a wedge more torque than the X5, plus it's non-DPF or AdBlue rubbish either.

Completely gone off the F-Pace as something just doesn't feel right enough inside (feels cheap and not as comfy), and even though we haven't driven the we wanted (V6 Supercharged Petrol), I don't think it'll sway us back that way.

As a note, this is to replace our 2007 Nissan Murano LPG wagon of joy as we unfortunately need something newer to satisfy car allowance criteria .

I've had one for just over 2 years, and sold it a couple of weeks ago. 40d Msport. It was excellent as a daily and long motorway mile muncher, the 7 seats option that it had was only useful for kids however, adults, no chance. Engine / economy / reliability / practicality etc, happy with it. I only changed it as I simply fancied a change. Fox is right, the newer gen 5 series you could get for the same money, but I like you prefer the SUV position for a family all rounder and long trips etc.

Interestingly, you say you drove the Cayenne S. That's what I replaced the F15 X5 with - albeit a bit newer than the one you quoted you drove. The Porsche drives a LOT better than the X5, it handles better, is quicker, is more grippy and sounds way better - however 1) it's pricier and 2) the tech is a big step back vs the X5.

tldr - buy an F15.

Soldato
It happened over a year ago but has anyone see this before?

Basically an M2 driving like a knob outside a meet in Scotland (supercar Sunday or something along those lines).

https://thumbsnap.com/HTzgbPea

I feel like there is a time and a place for it but hat wasn’t it. There is a video just a few seconds before the crash happened.

I like to give it the beans now and then, and not saying that I’ve never been over the speed limit but that was way, way to fast.

22 year old lad driving, I hope he has learnt some lessons.

Caporegime
Piston head thread is 64 pages and I couldn’t find an update. Just a discussion about the correlation of PCP causing young drivers to crash.

Caporegime
Piston head thread is 64 pages and I couldn’t find an update. Just a discussion about the correlation of PCP causing young drivers to crash.

See it a lot up here where I work. The apprentices and a lot of the younger guys who still live with their parents and thus have a big chunk of disposable income spend it on PCP deals. We've got a lot of M's, S/RS's, Rs, and AMGs. We also have a lot of them crash or end up banned. We've binned a couple of guys recently due to bans and having the need to drive for work. Their own damn fault frankly.

Gone are the days where you'd save a few grand to buy your first car and do it up/put up with a less powerful car whilst you became a more experienced driver. Finance allows people even on relatively low incomes to buy very expensive and powerful cars with the outcomes seen above.

Soldato

tldr - buy an F15.

Aye, we're in that mindset. Thanks for the info.

We had a sit in an equivalent 2016 Cayenne S, but it didn't have the PASM, had 15k less miles, but was about £15k more. The interior looked identical but wasn't as impressive as the 2013 one in red with leather dash.

Even being a 2013, the S drove better than the F15 with the PASM settings giving a marked change in comfort when played with. Sound as you say was nicer than the F15 also.

But the F15 just felt more of a rounded package to sit in, better tech and it drove well with a good sound (probably some fake speaker sound).

But what I don't get is a 3yr older Cayenne, with similar pace, less tech and 15k more miles was the same price as the F15. That's a huge difference!

Now we'll see if BMW want to sell us the car as the salesmen isn't that experienced. No part ex so we'll aim to get some money off the sticker price, get them to throw a 2nd year warranty and see if their finance will match the better bank rate. No rush from us, let's see how desperate they are and we can play the haggling game.

Back
Top Bottom