BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Because it's a piece of **** to clock a car these days and it's becoming increasingly common.

There’s a guy round the corner from me who will clock anything with a digital odometer for around £20. His customers seem to generally own modern BMWs / Audis etc which have been used for long distance work trips. He regularly takes over 100k miles off, and the smarter owners will go to him every 6/12 months before the service so all the records look like they match up, with the car doing 4-5k miles per year instead of 30k. As a buyer it’d be almost impossible to spot unless you had dealer level equipment.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Or if you can’t even be bothered to do that, google Km/ mileage blockers. Some models even have half count modes and all sorts and are just plug and play. Plenty of threads about people finding them still fitted to AUC type cars. Of course 99.9% will go totally undetected as you’d just remove it before a dealer visit or lease return.
The situation is ludicrous really.

Soldato
Man that's disappointing to here. Encryption systems are widely available for them to validate this stuff too. All the cars are connected the Internet they should easily be able to verify whilst keeping the crypto material off the car and on bmw servers.

It's fairly new, had 2 services. One 6 months ago. Also two drivers on the system. Both small people..

Suppose it could all faked.

How do I check with bmw with the car and see if its still under warranty. Age wise it is, but service wise...

Caporegime
There’s a guy round the corner from me who will clock anything with a digital odometer for around £20. His customers seem to generally own modern BMWs / Audis etc which have been used for long distance work trips. He regularly takes over 100k miles off, and the smarter owners will go to him every 6/12 months before the service so all the records look like they match up, with the car doing 4-5k miles per year instead of 30k. As a buyer it’d be almost impossible to spot unless you had dealer level equipment.
I think I’m beginning to understand why my mate was so keen on that silly mile f11 from the other week, I dare say he gave it a good “haircut” and profit into the “bargain”, I’ll ask him when I see him next.

Didn't realise clocking was so rife these days, I’m assuming they can easily overcome the “tamper dot” etc nowadays?

Soldato
I think I’m beginning to understand why my mate was so keen on that silly mile f11 from the other week, I dare say he gave it a good “haircut” and profit into the “bargain”, I’ll ask him when I see him next.

Didn't realise clocking was so rife these days, I’m assuming they can easily overcome the “tamper dot” etc nowadays?

Unless he managed to hide the MOT history, it will be obvious.

Then when the new owner realises, it's a case of taking the seller to court.

For the record I know someone who did this (private sale) and won. The defence of "I didn't know it was clocked" also didn't pass muster as it was irrelevant. The car was misadvertised.

Soldato
Just read about road tax increases for cars over 40k. Omg.

Thats pretty expensive. All 5 series with an option and the car jumps in price by 1.5k

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he's just discovered what happened 2 and a half years ago.
Lol. Yeah sorry. Unreal. Found a lovely car, but 1 too many options puts it over 40k. So that's an extra £1300 on ownership for the next 4 years.
Perhaps could negotiate with dealer, but think the price might be already considering this.

Soldato
Or if you can’t even be bothered to do that, google Km/ mileage blockers. Some models even have half count modes and all sorts and are just plug and play. Plenty of threads about people finding them still fitted to AUC type cars. Of course 99.9% will go totally undetected as you’d just remove it before a dealer visit or lease return.
The situation is ludicrous really
so are some marques more resilient ? strikes me this requires similar attention to the middle-man key fob attack

liked this comment from elsewhere
its undetectable, i suppose the only way to get around it is buy a car with higher mileage, i want a f10 5 series for my daily and unfortunately there the most common to be ‘clocked’, so looking for one with higher mileage but full service history

Soldato
Lol. Yeah sorry. Unreal. Found a lovely car, but 1 too many options puts it over 40k. So that's an extra £1300 on ownership for the next 4 years.
Perhaps could negotiate with dealer, but think the price might be already considering this.
It goes on the list price, not what you pay, so negotiating won't help. The only loophole/workaround is to choose options that are dealer-fit (i.e. they can be invoiced separately from the car)

Soldato
Nowt worse than an ex-smokers car. Never get rid of that stink.
Yeah. He seemed to suggest it would get rid of it, and they would so it, plus clean carpets and lining. But I drove there and he didn't say it stank, but neither did I ask. Tbh I didn't think I needed to. Odd.

Also, why not treat it before viewing? . People don't really smoke anymore, and the few that do, many don't smoke in their car.

Odd.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Do smoke bombs work? Woah. Someone smoked a lot!!!
Yes and no. I've bought 2 ex-smokers cars and the first one worked like a charm and you couldn't tell it was an ex-smokers car other than the ash stains in the driver's window rubber and gap.

The second one smelt like a mixture of toilet cleaner and cigar because I just let the detailer use the "smoke bomb". I used Airvidox Car Odour Remover the other week as I was prepping it for sale, and it stank of chlorine like a swimming pool and then the smell went away complete. Not sure why I didn't ******* do it when I bought it :confused:
YMMV, so unless it's an amazing deal or a rare car, move on.

Also, change cabin filters, deep steam clean the interior, etc.

Soldato
Saw a new shape 5 series at a bmw garage today. Fully loaded, but first service record was basically at 25000 miles.

It had done 25001. So literally just serviced. Is that a concern?

Back
Top Bottom