BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I think that's the thing if you're out for a proper drive no doubt a Porsche would be better. As a kind of GT car and something you always want to look back at when you park it up in the carpark the i8 is a pretty nice bit of kit

OG

OG

Associate
I'll take any advice of what makes a 'non-tragic 3 touring 320i for 17k' please and thank you :D

After doing a fairly lengthy amount of research (I swear this thread is a godsend), having longer term plan conversations with wifey and realising that actually the majority of our driving is motorway related the specification has changed somewhat!

We've upped our budget to a max of 20k and now looking at a diesel rather than petrol. So targeting a LCI 320d touring, sport or m-sport with technology pack, not overly fussed if manual or auto (coming from a manual) and aiming for around ~40k miles (plan would be to keep this for about 5 years). Quite happy keeping an eye out, we won't be in a position to buy anything until around November time.

A quick question, I had always assumed you can ONLY get extended warranty on a car BMW deemed AUC (i.e sold by their dealership) but from reading the warranty guidelines that doesn't seem to be the case... would someone be able to confirm pretty please? I do also assume that only if it has full historical dealer service history then the extended warranty can be purchased, if it's part dealer/part indy then it's a no?

Thanks for your help

Man of Honour
Honestly it makes me cry seeing how much people still seem happy to spend on the F30 generation 3 Series. But anyway that isn't what you asked so I'll move on.

You can buy a BMW insured warranty for a car that doesn't have an existing warranty however it is significantly more expensive and there is a period of time during which you cannot claim initially.

OG

OG

Associate
Honestly it makes me cry seeing how much people still seem happy to spend on the F30 generation 3 Series. But anyway that isn't what you asked so I'll move on.

You can buy a BMW insured warranty for a car that doesn't have an existing warranty however it is significantly more expensive and there is a period of time during which you cannot claim initially.

Thanks for the info, any ideas about the historical service history as well? Does it have to have full dealer service history? The T+C from the warranty guidelines seems a little vague in that respect:

a) Care of the vehicle - you must keep your vehicle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and genuine parts, or parts of equivalent specification must be used.
b) After each service, please ensure that the relevant service details are completed in your service records by the servicing garage and obtain a VAT receipt for the service. You must keep all such receip

Man of Honour
Can't remember the history requirements unfortunately.

You should be fussed about auto v manual, the auto box is one of the best gearboxes ever made. It is a far better car as an auto than as a manual.

Associate
Thanks for the info, any ideas about the historical service history as well? Does it have to have full dealer service history? The T+C from the warranty guidelines seems a little vague in that respect:
Unless something has changed since I took my warranty out years ago, you should be fine with a (mixed) full service history, it's not main dealer exclusive.

I've made plenty of claims over the years and never had an issue.

Soldato
After doing a fairly lengthy amount of research (I swear this thread is a godsend), having longer term plan conversations with wifey and realising that actually the majority of our driving is motorway related the specification has changed somewhat!

We've upped our budget to a max of 20k and now looking at a diesel rather than petrol. So targeting a LCI 320d touring, sport or m-sport with technology pack, not overly fussed if manual or auto (coming from a manual) and aiming for around ~40k miles (plan would be to keep this for about 5 years). Quite happy keeping an eye out, we won't be in a position to buy anything until around November time.

A quick question, I had always assumed you can ONLY get extended warranty on a car BMW deemed AUC (i.e sold by their dealership) but from reading the warranty guidelines that doesn't seem to be the case... would someone be able to confirm pretty please? I do also assume that only if it has full historical dealer service history then the extended warranty can be purchased, if it's part dealer/part indy then it's a no?

Thanks for your help

Not sure I could stomach 20k for an F31 320D.

Are there no 330Ds in that bracket? :(

As others have said, you DEFINITELY want an auto in a diesel.

AFAIA you can get an extended warranty on most vehicles, but there are mileage brackets.

OG

OG

Associate

AFAIA you can get an extended warranty on most vehicles, but there are mileage brackets.

20k Is very much the upper limit, although it does appear that cars with the spec we're after do get awfully close to that price these days. Something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107175135498 ticks all the boxes.

I've had a look at the warranty estimator and yup it certainly looks like anything above 60k miles shoots the price up quite substantially.

Cheers

Man of Honour
£20k~ should be able to get you a decent 330/335d, even with the way prices are now. It's worth spending that little bit more if you need to.

Soldato
20k Is very much the upper limit, although it does appear that cars with the spec we're after do get awfully close to that price these days. Something like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107175135498 ticks all the boxes.

I've had a look at the warranty estimator and yup it certainly looks like anything above 60k miles shoots the price up quite substantially.

Cheers

Any reason you haven’t considered an A4? You’ll get one for similar money, and they’re much newer interior wise :)

Edit: I’m getting a pre LCI 320D in a few weeks - if you’re anywhere near the south coast, you’d be welcome to come down for a proper test drive/look around :)

Soldato

I agree, I had a 330d as a courtesy car and in manual mode it was poor. I ended up leaving it in auto as i never knew where the power band was (used to driving a N/A auto). I'm amazed at how fast the gear changes are though, even compared to my dct, I'd say there's nothing it it time wise.

Man of Honour
22k for a 5 year old 2l diesel!!

Just get a pre-LCI and spend £12k and you'll have 90% of the same car

It's a 330d. He wants to potentially spend £20k on a 320d - which isn't really wise imo. I wouldn't personally get an F30 at all, but if that's what he wants, a decent engine and spec is essential, if the budget is there.

Soldato
It's a 330d. He wants to potentially spend £20k on a 320d - which isn't really wise imo. I wouldn't personally get an F30 at all, but if that's what he wants, a decent engine and spec is essential, if the budget is there.
Ah sorry didn't clock that

OG

OG

Associate
Any reason you haven’t considered an A4? You’ll get one for similar money, and they’re much newer interior wise :)

Edit: I’m getting a pre LCI 320D in a few weeks - if you’re anywhere near the south coast, you’d be welcome to come down for a proper test drive/look around :)

Thank you kindly for the offer, I'm up in Cambridgeshire so not particularly local :D

An F31 was what both me and my wife agreed on from a fairly long initial list of used car potentials, perhaps I was a bit too keen on the '320d for 20k' comment as that would be an absolute upper limit for a low mileage and high spec example which I'd really not want to stretch to. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109036951138 ticks all the boxes

Soldato
Something like this would be the minimum requirement for an F30, for me at least: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108236543098

Nice spec. Mine is pretty much the same but not extended leather and adaptive suspension.

WBAC prices on these seems to have increased. I've been trying not to think about changing to M340i or even B9 RS4 so have been interested in trade prices for these.

Soldato
An F31 was what both me and my wife agreed on from a fairly long initial list of used car potentials, perhaps I was a bit too keen on the '320d for 20k' comment as that would be an absolute upper limit for a low mileage and high spec example which I'd really not want to stretch to. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109036951138 ticks all the boxes
I wouldn't rule the pre-LCI out. There's not a huge difference tbh

Back
Top Bottom