BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
imagine it costs a fair chunk, not a fan of the massive screen as it would be a bit off putting.
I'm driving a 3 Series GT and according to the iDrive i average 22mpg, anyone know if that is about right? Its a 328i. I don't mind terribly as i only do 5-6k miles a year just seems a bit low.
I'm toying between replacing it with something electric through work, keeping it or changing to a X3. There's an X3 M40i near me but not sure the power is needed and the running costs i suspect will be a fair bit higher. There's also a X3 30d M Sport with 4 additional packs added to it which is a bit cheaper but a bit slower.
I've only ever bought a car because my other ones have died rather through choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
imagine it costs a fair chunk, not a fan of the massive screen as it would be a bit off putting.
I'm driving a 3 Series GT and according to the iDrive i average 22mpg, anyone know if that is about right? Its a 328i. I don't mind terribly as i only do 5-6k miles a year just seems a bit low.
I'm toying between replacing it with something electric through work, keeping it or changing to a X3. There's an X3 M40i near me but not sure the power is needed and the running costs i suspect will be a fair bit higher. There's also a X3 30d M Sport with 4 additional packs added to it which is a bit cheaper but a bit slower.
I've only ever bought a car because my other ones have died rather through choice.
22 is less than my 440i gets. I'd be annoyed

Man of Honour
There's an X3 M40i near me but not sure the power is needed and the running costs i suspect will be a fair bit higher.
i "upgraded" from a '63 N20 428i to a '18 B58 440i, so basically the same engines as to what you have and what you're looking to get
the petrol consumption is roughly similar (urban inner city miles the 28i is a slight bit more frugal than the 40i but not by much, however on motorway miles the 40i is a lot more efficient than the 28i)
the only difference is that you move up the insurance bands so that's more expensive
the insured warranty is exactly the same regardless of engine as both my cars were the same model (i'm not sure if bmw differentiates between the 3gt and the x3 for insured warranty purposes...fox may know)

performance-wise, not even close. 360hp vs 245hp, torque curve and throttle response hands down 40i wins

Last edited:
Man of Honour
according to auto trader urban should be 34mpg, wonder if that's having it in eco mode or something. i'd imagine your 440i is much more fun to drive than mine too.

There is absolutely no way a petrol 3 Series does 34mpg urban driving. If you're just doing short trips of under about 5 miles, in town and often from cold then no engine is going to be particularly economical and what you're getting sounds about right. I once did a month of just very short trips to and from work in a 530d and the tank averaged about the same as you're getting.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So the M2 is currently averaging low 20s, as I've been enjoying it rather a lot :o
However, even motorway cruising is compromised due to the lack of 7th gear.

I assume being a BMW it won't blow up if I stick 95 in it for long distance cruising? It's the N55 and not the S55 engine, if that makes any difference. Ta.

Soldato
So the M2 is currently averaging low 20s, as I've been enjoying it rather a lot :o

I assume being a BMW it won't blow up if I stick 95 in it for long distance cruising? It's the N55 and not the S55 engine, if that makes any difference. Ta.

Doesn’t it say on the fuel flap? Mine says V Power recommended but will take 95. It will just back off the timing and give you less power but as you are cruising it doesn’t matter

Edit: To clarify I don’t have an M2

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Doesn’t it say on the fuel flap? Mine says V Power recommended but will take 95. It will just back off the timing and give you less power but as you are cruising it doesn’t matter
Yes, but just wanted to find out what it will actually do. Thx :)

edit- fuel filler cap says 98, and then (RON 95) down below.

Out of interest, is it the same for S-coded engines?

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I just use whichever fuel grade the manufacturer recommends - which they presumably do so for a reason. Not sure why you'd want to do otherwise?

Soldato
Soldato

It'll be fine, I normally average about half / half

Soldato
I just use whichever fuel grade the manufacturer recommends - which they presumably do so for a reason. Not sure why you'd want to do otherwise?

I remember touring round the Highlands and stayed on Skye when I had my E43. Getting 98Ron wasn’t possible where I was so had to use 95Ron, it is presumably why manufacturers let you use 95Ron despite recommending 98Ron

Reactions: mjt
Back
Top Bottom