BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Grr.

About to drive to work this morning and get this warning on the iDrive:

Get out and take a look:

Looks like I've taken it to Halfords to have it slammed bruv init. Looks like rear air suspension failure. I only bought it from a BMW approved dealer on 30th May.

Rang up, explained, she told me to hold because "you've only just bought it, we'll try to get you in asap". To then be told the soonest they can do is 7th August. As well that my car has an outstanding recall, and that can't be booked in until September, why wasn't this done before selling it to me?

Anyway... having to go 2 weeks without a car is a PITA. Especially as I've basically only had it 2 months. It says I can drive it, but I don't feel very confident, just looking at how low it is...
I wouldn't worry - I've been walking past a neighbors that often has the collapsed rear subframe look. Must have happened twice now (uncertain if it was the same side or not!)

Man of Honour
When you start driving, it may get back to the correct height and drive fine, but there could be a slow leak which means overnight it sits back down again. So check that too.

Caporegime
Looks like BMW like building in stupid design flaws. They did on the V8 on the F90 M5 by putting the plastic coolant expansion tank above one of the Cats. Over time the heat causes the plastic to get brittle and leak along the bonds and drip over the ignition system causing shorts and damaging the injectors and coil packs on a couple of cylinders. BMW did a recall and replaced the expansion tank with another plastic item which does the same thing. Absolutely moronic.
This is nothing new with BMW (and other manufacturers tbh) plastic components are far cheaper to manufacture than metal ones, they generally will still outlast the warranty period of the car by a good few years by which time it's the 3rd or 4th owners problem and whom are highly unlikely to be buying a new car anyway so they simply don't care.

This had been going on since the days of the e36/46 etc, I know as I e had a fair few plastic components (mainly cooling related) failing on older cars due to repeated heat cycles.

Unfortunately, cars are built to a strict budget rather than a high engineering standard.

Man of Honour
Anyway... having to go 2 weeks without a car is a PITA. Especially as I've basically only had it 2 months. It says I can drive it, but I don't feel very confident, just looking at how low it is...

It's an Approved Used Car, which will include 1 year of BMW Emergency Service as well as the warranty. If you are concerned the car is not safe to drive, call them. They'll send someone out who will advise and/or recover the car to the dealer. You'll also be provided with a hire car, probably today, to bridge the gap between now and a loan car being available at the dealer. This is usually for 48 hours but they can extend at their discretion if required.

This service is included as part of your warranty and is designed to keep your on the road if your car breaks down.

Soldato
Part of the AUC warranty means they will supply a like for like car if yours is waiting for parts/repair. BMW UK have contracts with luxury car hire firms. As ever, it's down to how good your local dealer is as they have to request it.

I suppose they might argue you can drive it, but I certainly wouldn't to be driving that for long, it's not going to help anything.

I'd drop it off to them and ask for a loan car. Not your fault they haven't got the parts

It's an Approved Used Car, which will include 1 year of BMW Emergency Service as well as the warranty. If you are concerned the car is not safe to drive, call them. They'll send someone out who will advise and/or recover the car to the dealer. You'll also be provided with a hire car, probably today, to bridge the gap between now and a loan car being available at the dealer. This is usually for 48 hours but they can extend at their discretion if required.

This service is included as part of your warranty and is designed to keep your on the road if your car breaks down.
Thanks all. Got a meeting now but will call them afterwards.

I am happy to drive it to them on town roads, but I am not confident driving it 40 miles on my motorway commute to work. Will demand a replacement car in the meantime.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the same issue with my 530D a number of years ago. BMW picked it up on a low loader and took it to the local dealership, and a couple of hours later Enterprise turned up with a 330D touring with 200 miles on the clock for me to use whilst my car was being repaired.

Soldato
Just had a health check done on my 3 series.

3 tyres are at 7mm - makes sense as I've just had them done.

However one tyre is at 6.5mm which is quite a difference considering the tyres have only done at most a thousand miles.

I'll ask the tech shortly, but any ideas? Dodgy new tyre?

Soldato
Just had a health check done on my 3 series.

3 tyres are at 7mm - makes sense as I've just had them done.

However one tyre is at 6.5mm which is quite a difference considering the tyres have only done at most a thousand miles.

I'll ask the tech shortly, but any ideas? Dodgy new tyre?

Measure it yourself. I had my tyres changed the other day, and Kwik-Fit wrote 3mm on the report for one of the tyres when I had measured it at 2.4mm at its lowest point.

Soldato
Soldato
As well that my car has an outstanding recall, and that can't be booked in until September, why wasn't this done before selling it to me?
I've also just wrote to my MP about this.

I think it's probably 'excusable' for an independent garage to sell a car with an outstanding recall, although maybe they should be legally obliged to inform the purchaser that there is an outstanding recall.

But for a Main Dealer, to be selling its own brand cars with approved used warranty, with an outstanding safety recall is alarming. If it isn't already against the law, I think it should be.
So I've written asking if it is against the law, and if not does my MP agree that it should be. As well the recall was from 2022... If this fault hadn't developed I wouldn't have known about it until booking in my next service which is in 2025, that would mean 3 years my car would have gone without having a safety recall fixed. I don't think it should be legal IMO.

Caporegime

I think it's probably 'excusable' for an independent garage to sell a car with an outstanding recall, although maybe they should be legally obliged to inform the purchaser that there is an outstanding recall.

But for a Main Dealer, to be selling its own brand cars with approved used warranty, with an outstanding safety recall is alarming. If it isn't already against the law, I think it should be.
So I've written asking if it is against the law, and if not does my MP agree that it should be. As well the recall was from 2022... If this fault hadn't developed I wouldn't have known about it until booking in my next service which is in 2025, that would mean 3 years my car would have gone without having a safety recall fixed. I don't think it should be legal IMO.
When I had a recall on my airbag from BMW they sent me a letter telling me about it. I'm sure you can check for recalls on the VOSA site?

Soldato
When I had a recall on my airbag from BMW they sent me a letter telling me about it. I'm sure you can check for recalls on the VOSA site?
I didn't own the car when the recall came out, it was in 2022, I bought it 2 months ago. You can check for it, yes. It doesn't tell you whether it's been rectified or not though.

Either way I don't think it's crazy legislation to:
  1. For all dealers to notify purchasers of cars of outstanding recalls.
  2. For 'Main Dealers' selling own branded cars to rectify outstanding recalls before selling them.

The BMW Roadside assist has been, says the compressor is working but the air suspension won't raise, so could be valves, pipes, the 'air-bags' themselves. Either way, he's gonna get it collected and arrange me a replacement :)

Thanks @[TW]Fox and others.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Really? Why? :confused:

This is probably the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve recall, which isn't like an ordinary recall in that a part is replaced and everything is completed for ever. It requires them to check it every time the car is in the workshop. I don't think it means your car was sold with an outstanding recall on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? Why? :confused:

This is probably the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve recall, which isn't like an ordinary recall in that a part is replaced and everything is completed for ever. It requires them to check it every time the car is in the workshop. I don't think it means your car was sold with an outstanding recall on it.

I've explained why in my posts and the posts you've quoted.
This seems sensible to me:

Either way I don't think it's crazy legislation to:
  1. For all dealers to notify purchasers of cars of outstanding recalls.
  2. For 'Main Dealers' selling own branded cars to rectify outstanding recalls before selling them.
From gov website:

Undetected EGR System leaks may cause thermal activity in the intake manifold​

Recall numberR/2022/255
Recall date22-08-2022
Recall typeSafety recall

Reason for recall​

Undetected EGR System leaks may cause thermal activity in the intake manifold.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled​

Contact the local BMW dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair​

The engine management control unit (DDE) will be programmed with improved software incorporating the latest OBD functionality.

Number of affected vehicles​

Last edited:
Soldato
Lucky for me. It already is illegal:

If you are selling a vehicle to a consumer you will need to check for outstanding recalls andthese safety recalls must be attended to prior to the consumer purchasing the vehicle
“The distributor shall act with due care in order to help ensure compliance with the applicable safety requirements and in particular he…shall not expose or possess for supply or offer or agree to supply, or supply, a product to any person which he knows or should have presumed, on the basis of information in his possession and as a professional, is a dangerous product”
DVSA considers that this identifies that a product with an outstanding safety recall should not be passed to a consumer. Producers and distributors are professionals in their field and should therefore be fully aware that safety recalls exist and that they can occur on any product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom