BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
In my experience with this issue, over 2 cars of which one is a 630d, both cars showed as having an outstanding recall until the recall work was completed, at which point the marker disappeared and they showed on the site as yours does - without an outstanding recall.

For my car, which was a 2015 530d, the recall was finally fixed by replacing the cooler. But this had an older, different engine to yours.

For my Dads car, which is a 630d like yours, the recall has been temporarily fixed by updating the software to monitor the cooler. He received a letter informing him that this was temporary and that eventually when supply allowed, the cooler would be replaced. Whenever his car is booked into a BMW workshop they tell him that they will need to check the cooler and might have to keep the car if it's not ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
In my experience with this issue, over 2 cars of which one is a 630d, both cars showed as having an outstanding recall until the recall work was completed, at which point the marker disappeared and they showed on the site as yours does - without an outstanding recall.

For my car, which was a 2015 530d, the recall was finally fixed by replacing the cooler. But this had an older, different engine to yours.

For my Dads car, which is a 630d like yours, the recall has been temporarily fixed by updating the software to monitor the cooler. He received a letter informing him that this was temporary and that eventually when supply allowed, the cooler would be replaced. Whenever his car is booked into a BMW workshop they tell him that they will need to check the cooler and might have to keep the car if it's not ok.
Going here:

Putting in my VIN it says:
There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here, to either request a convenient appointment for your vehicle or contact your local Centre for more information. Enhancement code 0011170700.

Man of Honour
Yes, this is correct. My Dad's 630d also shows that.

There will probably remain an open technical enhancement on the car until such time as they are finally able to resolve the issue with replacement parts.

So, it's possible to have no open safety recall but an open technical enhancement. Notice the difference in phrasing between safety recall and technical enhancement. Ask the dealership to confirm the safety recall has been completed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, this is correct. My Dad's 630d also shows that.

There will probably remain an open technical enhancement on the car until such time as they are finally able to resolve the issue with replacement parts.

So, it's possible to have no open safety recall but an open technical enhancement. Notice the difference in phrasing between safety recall and technical enhancement. Ask the dealership to confirm the safety recall has been completed.
They told me on the phone a 'recall is outstanding'. So we'll see, one of the managers is meant to return my call so I'll get clarification then.

Man of Honour
Grr.

About to drive to work this morning and get this warning on the iDrive:
*snip*

Get out and take a look:
*snip*

Looks like I've taken it to Halfords to have it slammed bruv init. Looks like rear air suspension failure. I only bought it from a BMW approved dealer on 30th May.

Rang up, explained, she told me to hold because "you've only just bought it, we'll try to get you in asap". To then be told the soonest they can do is 7th August. As well that my car has an outstanding recall, and that can't be booked in until September, why wasn't this done before selling it to me?

Anyway... having to go 2 weeks without a car is a PITA. Especially as I've basically only had it 2 months. It says I can drive it, but I don't feel very confident, just looking at how low it is...
Have you got BMW roadside assistance on the vehicle? If so you can contact them and they should collect it and take it into your chosen dealership, on the occasion we used them for the same issue on our 5 series they jumped the service queue for us as well to the next day from delivery on site. They also organised the courtesy vehicle for the same day. All in a very good service and we were not left without a vehicle.

Last edited:
Soldato
About the legislation around selling cars with safety recalls, not everything else. And as it turns out it is already illegal, so it's not completely 'lolworthy', considering it already is the law, but I didn't know that when I emailed them.

As a general point, if you think there is something unjust, that isn't currently legislated against. Do you really think it's 'lolworthy' to contact your MP about? Considering they're public servants who create laws...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
About the legislation around selling cars with safety recalls, not everything else. And as it turns out it is already illegal, so it's not completely 'lolworthy', considering it already is the law, but I didn't know that when I emailed them.

As a general point, if you think there is something unjust, that isn't currently legislated against. Do you really think it's 'lolworthy' to contact your MP about? Considering they're public servants who create laws...
You don't even know whether it's a safety recall or a technical enhancement.

Soldato
You don't even know whether it's a safety recall or a technical enhancement.
I'm on the phone to BMW Service at Chelmsford and they tell me "There is an outstanding recall on your car". What more am I meant to go off of?

Why are you even picking a fight here? Actually idc, think what you want.

Soldato
Car has been picked up. Enterprise are dropping me a 5 series touring in a couple of hours apparently so that's a bit of a result. I moaned to BMW UK Customer Services about all of this, including the issues with the display key some of you may remember from earlier.

Anyway - they forwarded it on to BMW Chelmsford. He said they'll expedite the fix on my cars suspension and also the recall. I then said so you've sold me a car that needs a recall "Oh no we wouldn't do that". Well what is it then? I just got bluster and no real answer...

And with the display key: long story short speaking to the sales manager he said if I give them a 10/10 review on the survey then they'll give me a display key. After previously telling me they can't get me one due to BMW no longer making them and the app does everything now, when they were originally trying to fob me off. I said I'd prefer if you gave me the key and then I'll do the survey. I asked for the offer in writing too. He then got all shirty "I'm the sales manager, and if you don't take this deal then you just won't get a display key and that's the end of it".

Well it's not really is it, it's the most simple/easy cut and shut small claims case ever. Car advertised with display key, doesn't come with one. Either reimburse me or give me one, and it shouldn't be bloody dependent on me giving them a 10/10 survey.

Part of me thinks just give them their damn survey, take the key and have nothing more to do with them. But being blunt they're shady as ****. I wouldn't recommend them to any of my family + friends, and after the suspension is resolved I'm gonna go to a different approved used BMW for future servicing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom