BMW and M Power Owners

Too much into sunset of petrol engine, bmw should have developed the 3 cylinder - power , mpg, weight, reliability, tonality - audi have higher powered 3 cylinders, not to mention gr corrola.

trying to replace m52/na6, in 20 years mpg improvement with a 340i isn't enticing, emissions aside;
perhaps neu-klasse ev will deliver tesla compatible weight vs i4 , & better mpg than 340

Too much into sunset of petrol engine, bmw should have developed the 3 cylinder - power , mpg, weight, reliability, tonality - audi have higher powered 3 cylinders, not to mention gr corrola.

trying to replace m52/na6, in 20 years mpg improvement with a 340i isn't enticing, emissions aside;
perhaps neu-klasse ev will deliver tesla compatible weight vs i4 , & better mpg than 340

BMW have a 3 cylinder engine.

The fact that my old 3 cylinder fiesta would do 50mpg on a run should tell you everything you need to know about the law of diminishing returns.

Reactions: mjt
trying to replace m52/na6, in 20 years mpg improvement with a 340i isn't enticing

A 320-380BHP 3.0 straight six that can return 50mpg isn't enough of an improvement from an old 150-190bhp NA six from an E36 that would probably struggle to crack 35mpg to be enticing?

That's a pretty special take

I'm currently away with my boy and got around 47MPG on our trip to the hotel. Some motorway, some flowing A roads. Quite impressive economy figures are possible in modern cars, especially turbocharged ones.

In the 18 months I have had it the overall average in my M340i is 36. The overall average in my 2015 530d, a car I was always happy with efficiency wise, was just under 38.

If that isn't progress I am not sure what is.

I've always found the G20 320i and 330i to be quite average for efficiency, for what they are. A 320d is notably more efficient than a 320i, and faster too.

I’m off to look at an M340i touring next week and before I look at it (as it’s quite far away from me) I’d like to do an online check. Any recommendations at all (feel free to send a referral link if it helps you out too!). Thanks.

I’m off to look at an M340i touring next week and before I look at it (as it’s quite far away from me) I’d like to do an online check. Any recommendations at all (feel free to send a referral link if it helps you out too!). Thanks.
VCheck or car vertical. Fat Shmee (Jayemmoncars on YT) has a Car Vertical discount code I believe.

I think I’ve got some vouchers left for Total Car Check, which I used when purchasing my car.

You can have one if you like. I looked into them as car vertical seemed expensive - they all use the same database, but with less marketing apparently.

Last edited:
Drove about 150 miles today, and about 145 miles in my car came up saying that the coolant was low and that, while I didn't need to stop, I needed to fill it. It then got to the point of saying I needed to pull over and stop the car.

I managed to limp home as I was very close and called BMW roadside assistance. The guy came out and filled the empty (!!) coolant tank with water and pressure tested it for a leak. He couldn't find the leak, but the pressure was slowly dropping.

So, my brand new (to me) car is going in tomorrow to be looked at :(

I also managed to scratch the front bumper on this stupid little wall in my driveway.

The 150 mile drive was lovely, but other than that it's been a ****** car day.

I think I’ve got some vouchers left for Total Car Check, which I used when purchasing my car.

You can have one if you like. I looked into them as car vertical seemed expensive - they all use the same database, but with less marketing apparently.
Thanks for the code mate.

This is the car I was going to see…! Wasn’t advertised as Cat S.

So the car wasn’t actually written off, but it was only 9 months old when it was sold via a salvage auction, so the value of the car at that point was what stopped it being written off I guess.

I’m sure it’ll pop up on AT again at the same price tomorrow.

Drove about 150 miles today, and about 145 miles in my car came up saying that the coolant was low and that, while I didn't need to stop, I needed to fill it. It then got to the point of saying I needed to pull over and stop the car.

I managed to limp home as I was very close and called BMW roadside assistance. The guy came out and filled the empty (!!) coolant tank with water and pressure tested it for a leak. He couldn't find the leak, but the pressure was slowly dropping.

So, my brand new (to me) car is going in tomorrow to be looked at :(

I also managed to scratch the front bumper on this stupid little wall in my driveway.

The 150 mile drive was lovely, but other than that it's been a ****** car day.
Reject it? 14 days ?

Back
Top Bottom