BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I think build quality on the 335i must be a bit hit and miss. I don't have a single cabin rattle on mine at all. The only noise is from things moving around in the storage compartments.

Ride is quite harsh, I'm still on the runflats, not sure if normal tyres will improve matters or not. Fuel economy for me is not that great, car is reading an average of 24.5 mpg on mainly rural A and B roads. I think you'd need to do a fair few motorway miles to get better economy, or certainly be lighter footed than I am.

In my opinion its got all the performance you'll ever need on the road, and while they are extremely tuneable I've never really felt the need to go for even a simple remap. As Fox mentions, the engine really is great with next to no noticeable lag.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Anyone know if the brake pad service indicator on an E60 with use based servicing is reliable or is detected on actual pad left or just an assumption based on time and mileage?

Basically I think mine needs some fronts but the service indicator says 9000 miles

Soldato
They use a sensor which is on the pad itself, it makes a contact once the pad has worn low enough. You will have some life left but its difficult to estimate.

Tea Drinker
Don
They use a sensor which is on the pad itself, it makes a contact once the pad has worn low enough. You will have some life left but its difficult to estimate.

I don't think that's it because it counts down from x? to zero or service due, I doubt there's a use based sensor there.

There should be a low pad sensor at the limit.

Tea Drinker
Don
Sure its a pad and not fluid change countdown indicator? Can't see how it could ever try and predict the mileage left on pads

Does both and see here middle image

combined.jpg

Soldato
Ride is quite harsh, I'm still on the runflats, not sure if normal tyres will improve matters or not.

It is absolutely like night and day. Completely different car on normal tyres. So glad I made the change. I can highly recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 as they seem to be brilliant in all conditions.

If you do make the change, make sure you pick up a compressor kit. I had been swaying towards the BMW Mobility kit, just because its the most complete kit, neatly presented in a bag and the sealant doesnt coat the inside of the compressor like with other systems, but really baulked at the price compared to other options. After much checking and trying to work out who OEMs all these kits, I found the Airman Res-Q tyre repair kit. This is made in Germany and appears to be either the OEM or from the same OEM as some of the BMW kits and all of the Volkswagen/Audi kits available.

It uses the same design as the BMW Mobility kit with a valve-through sealant bottle, meaning the compressor stays clean if you use the sealant and also you should be able to use the BMW brand sealant if you ever need to replace it. You then just buy a new sealant bottle, which comes with a new hose. It also comes with a similar speed warning sticker on the bottom of the sealant bottle which is another indicator that it is of similar OEM origin. Only £35 delivered, which compared to an extra £65 for the BMW kit is an absolute bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-ResQ-TireRepair-71-051-011-Repair/dp/B00BP5E7KI

Soldato
Thanks for the information. The tyres on mine wont be due for a while, but I think it'll need all 4 this time around. I was thinking about ditching the runflats so its best done when all tyres need replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
It uses the same design as the BMW Mobility kit with a valve-through sealant bottle, meaning the compressor stays clean if you use the sealant and also you should be able to use the BMW brand sealant if you ever need to replace it. You then just buy a new sealant bottle, which comes with a new hose. It also comes with a similar speed warning sticker on the bottom of the sealant bottle which is another indicator that it is of similar OEM origin. Only £35 delivered, which compared to an extra £65 for the BMW kit is an absolute bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AirMan-ResQ-TireRepair-71-051-011-Repair/dp/B00BP5E7KI

That's the same idea as the Honda kit too

Soldato
Does the tyre pressure monitoring system not freak out if you use non-runflats? I remember reading that somewhere when I was researching which tyres to replace my rears with.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25678826 said:
Because it's a prefacelift E60, and they suck?

Unless you have a thing about crap plastics, rattly worn trim and bizarrely wierd interiors obviously.
The interior isn't *that* bad. LCI 550s are 50% more though. Debatable whether it's worth the extra IMHO. LCI is still an improvement but hardly F10 standards.

The engine start button has worn through :eek:

tW3JsrU.png
Yeah I noticed that! Has done 225k though.
I really like the Amarone Merino leather and wood combo. Shame the Styling 152 Individual wheels are mingling.

Soldato
Expanding on before - i got an engine overheating warning come up whilst i was on the M25 the other day. Great. The car has never left me stranded before as every problem i had with it previously i could continue but just in limp mode.

However, coolant and overheating issues mean a "oh **** stop right now".

So i called BMW to pick me up (I was in the M25 roadworks). They were really great actually. They called the Highways Agency for me to alert them and asked for them to turn the CCTV cameras on me to keep an eye out. However...

After 20mins BMW called me back to say that they had spoken to the HA and they had been informed that because i was in roadworks, only HA were allowed to come out and pick me up. Great. So i waited 30 minutes for the HA to pick me up, to take me 3 miles down the road to a HA centre. BMW told me that once i knew where i was going to be dropped off, to call them back to let them know. They said that once i did that, they could be up to 90 minutes to come out. I was in for a long day (i had only just stepped off a plane from holiday!).

So the HA man turned up, got my car loaded on his flatbed (with my bumper millimetres from being ripped off), then got taken to their compound to wait for BMW to come out.

BMW Emergency Service kept calling me back and updating me and i dealt with a really good person ("Laura") who really pulled the stops out for me. However, i was told they wanted to come out and have a look at the car first to see if they could get me going again (i was 99% sure they wouldn't unless they planned on bringing a brand new water pump, a mechanic and a mobile workshop to me), but they insisted. I asked Laura what would happen if (when) they couldn't repair it at the roadside, and she said since no BMW garages would be open as it was 1600 on a Saturday, it could be put in storage for Monday or, she could have it recovered to my house (some 80 miles away). I don't think she was meant to authorise this, but she was a really really nice customer service rep and did this for me anyway.

Anyway, a guy turned up (not affiliated with BMW in any way - just a recovery agent) and he came to the conclusion that the belt may have snapped on my water pump. Until i told him that it has an electric water pump. He disagreed and said "look, it's right there!" whilst pointing towards a power steering pump. I was angry at this point.

He then decided that there was no fault with the car because he started it up again and said "oh, nothings coming up" but i pointed out that the car had cooled down and as soon as it got going again it may come back."

At this point BMW called, and it was a different rep who said that they couldn't take me home. I told her that Laura had said that this was possible, so she put me on hold and agreed to do it. She then said she thought i might want to try and drive it home but "IT IS TOTALLY YOUR DECISION". It felt massievly like she was trying to push me into driving it and if the engine melted down BMW could just say "Well, she said it was your decision". I said no, i want a lift home (which took 2 hours). So, that's the end of it.

I've scanned the codes today and driven it again. I have found that it overheats after about 15 miles, but all you need to do is restart the engine and it cools down and everything starts working again? It's weird. I have been keeping a very very close eye on the temp gauge in the secret OBD menu and you can see the temps sitting at between 90-95c perfectly for 10-15 miles (even when putting your foot to the floor), but then it completely randomly starts rapidly climbing and stops blowing hot air and when it reaches 125c it gives you the red warning. But turn the car off for 10 seconds and back on again and the hot air comes out again, the temps rapidly fall back to normal and stay there.

My strong guess is the water pump is playing up so i will have to call up BMW and get it booked in tomorrow. I just hope they don't give me the run about.

Here's my day yesterday in pictures;

Last edited:
Soldato
Found out why my car was making a horrible grinding noise. When I did the cooling system I didn't put the bottom cover on the engine bay so I could check for drips, well I had no drips but never got around to putting it back on and the prop shaft/guard got full of stones, doh! Nice simple fix however which is good, go to show they put these guards there for a reason..

Soldato
M135i Test Drive

On Saturday I popped down to the local dealership up here and grabbed a test drive of the 135i. Their Auto demonstrator was away over the weekend so I unfortunately had to take the manual they had sitting around. But,

WHAT A CAR!!! :D

As you may know, I drive some rusty old 90s Honda Type-R, but after winding up the M135i for the first, I finally realised what I've been missing out on these last few years. This thing was a damn Exocet missile! The sound was sublime (added speaker noise or not) and the pure pace from low revs all the way up to the 7k redline was ballistic. Luckily the wether was terrible, keeping me in check.

The steering seriously impressed me, a surprise for an electric system and given how direct and beautiful the Integra's hydraulic steering is. It was direct, had ok feel to it and with the excellent low driving position, just felt 'right'.

Now, my bugbear............... The manual gearbox was a horrible PITA, with the changes feeling vague and it being incredibly hard to access or move the stick around 2nd/4th area due to the high armrest. I have long lanky arms and it ****ed me off no end and there's no way I could ever live with this car in a manual. Luckily I'm driving an Auto on Wednesday :D

Interior was nice enough, plenty of room with me at 6'2", driving position was stellar as I've mentioned before and wasn't a huge change from the lovely low position in the Teg. I just felt instantly at home in here.

To round off, after getting back to the dealership I honestly wondered how I could carry on living with the Integra. Especially with my commute being a pain on the cold Scottish mornings and having to deal with the horrible Dyce traffic daily.

3dr Auto, Estoril blue and Coral Red leather ;)

Back
Top Bottom