BMW and M Power Owners

No idea how the E46 does things, but, different modes in a car are a good thing imho, changing how the throttle pedal reacts is great, an overly sensitive pedal in town in a PITA, a slow acting throttle pedal when driving down a country lane is annoying. Same goes for suspension, it's nice to have the options.

The modes in my car are fairly annoying, I have 3!

I is very relaxed and sluggish designed for highways.
S is sporty and gets you going fairly sharpish, great in city.
S# holds onto gears (and actually shifts (CVT)) and is far too focused for anything but enthusiastic driving.

I just want one mode damnit

Yeah the E46 is different to your M5 Sport mode, the E46 one simply lowers the pedal travel electronically so you don't have to press it in as much to get to the same revs. It is essentially a fake sport mode and makes modulating the throttle, especially on rougher road surfaces, a bit tedious and annoying. That and when you're driving around at town speeds you might forget it's in sport and go to apply "some" throttle only to be treated to a surge of power that didn't want at that time.

I can see it being useful on a track where you will be wanting to get the most out of small movements but on the road it is just a bit annoying to my eyes (and foot :p). In normal mode the throttle I think feels just right, the amount of travel needed to move the rev needle where you want it to be is just right, in Sport mode it's like flicking the Turbo switch on your Sega Megadrive gamepad and then attempting a final fatality move combination in Mortal Kombat!

Last edited:
Have you not lost all your hair at the sheer thought of choosing what mode to be in any given day? :D

It might sound ancient and old fashioned but I'm with acemastr on this, just a single mode that does everything well is how it should be!

If you only have 1 thing to choose from, you're generally happy with it, if you have 10 you always think "Could I make it better in a choose something different?"

Exactly why I don't ever want coilovers :p

If you buy an Approved Used car that's only a few months old, does it get the balance of the New Car warranty, or the 12 month Approved Used Car warranty?

From what I can tell it's the latter, but this page doesn't really clarify it.

If you buy an Approved Used car that's only a few months old, does it get the balance of the New Car warranty, or the 12 month Approved Used Car warranty?

From what I can tell it's the latter, but this page doesn't really clarify it.

I would have thought that original 3 year warranty was part of the sale of the car to the original buyer. Buying second hand it seems you'd only get the 12. If you browse the used cars, even on 14/64 plates it says 12 months warranty.

So I had a 3 hour test drive of a i8 today.

First, the doors are a massive pain it makes the car very hard to get in and out of.

The synthesised engine note to me was quite obvious, its a very easy comfortable car to drive and quick enough around town. However it really struggles to accelerate from 70 to 100.

It feels very well planted and completely stable at high speed. Overall its a lovely car but I would not buy one as if I am paying £100k for a car I would want something with a bit more grunt.

So I had a 3 hour test drive of a i8 today.

First, the doors are a massive pain it makes the car very hard to get in and out of.

The synthesised engine note to me was quite obvious, its a very easy comfortable car to drive and quick enough around town. However it really struggles to accelerate from 70 to 100.

It feels very well planted and completely stable at high speed. Overall its a lovely car but I would not buy one as if I am paying £100k for a car I would want something with a bit more grunt.

I was supposed to have a test drive this weekend but had to cancel. I've got no intention (or £100k!) to buy one either but it's such an intriguing car. I've heard that the power output is one of the only issues people have, but the overall package is what makes it desirable I guess.

I was sad to see mine go, too. What have you replaced it with?

The new car for me feels much faster than the Z4 ever did.

We can share each others pain. It doesn't get great write ups in the press but I still think it's the best car I've owned. Loved the drive, the interior, gearbox, folding roof, looks etc. The only thing I didn't like was not having cup holders!! Not going to replace it just yet. Sold it because we're moving house and I wanted some buffer money in case we need anything doing that is outside of the budget. Hopefully it won't be and I'll buy another BMW in the summer. Not sure what I'd replace it with yet but I like the idea of a 640d or a 640i. If I can find a good deal on a 5 series touring that's also an option. For now I've got an E46 330d touring, which is perfect for getting me to work and back and for cycling trips.
That's interesting you say the M135i feels faster than your Z4 because I thought it was the opposite. There wasn't much in it, but I thought my Z was slightly faster. Did you have the DCT gearbox in your Z4?

Back
Top Bottom