BMW and M Power Owners

the timing chain was just done off my own back BUT they are common on the N47 engine to snap so i just changed it for my own good. See i would say there 100% better in white just for the simple fact halogen lights now look dated.Mine was on the cut off for the LED white angel lights . Mine had LED door handles and rear LED Number Plate lights just not the LED Front Lights

Sorry yes your correct it was on the facelift 2010 they changed it. Mine is a 2008 model. BMW Modified the chain on these so they did not snap. I replaced mine with a modified full chain KIT from BMW

You didn't like the amber angel eyes? :eek: - The newer BMWs with white LED halos just look aftermarket, to me :p

There's something fresh and stand-out when the halo is amber and the Xenon ball of light is nice and white in the middle, it makes the car stand out more when the lights are on, especially from a distance.

I feel the same about sidelights on cars that don't have angel eyes, when people change them to white or LED ones to match the Xenon colour. It just looks off!

Changed my angel eye bulbs for a whiter option as I think they look better.

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first car.

1999 E46 328i saloon, 139k and with most of the options.

Coming from a borrowed 75bhp Mini First R56, it will be an interesting change.

Check the diff carrier mounting points on the chassis for tearing and be wary of shunts / clonks taking up drive, ideally in this case, have a look at the diff whilst somebody gently releases the clutch to the point of bite, if it moves significantly walk away, this did for my otherwise beautiful 325i Touring (e46 2000 m/y)
Otherwise, enjoy it! :)

Tomorrow I'm picking up my first car.

1999 E46 328i saloon, 139k and with most of the options.

Coming from a borrowed 75bhp Mini First R56, it will be an interesting change.

Do you know if this has had the subframe repair done (they tear the double skinned floor)? If not you could end up with a hefty bill down the line.

I'm not sure. I read that the subframe cracking only happened on ~5% of the early E46's or something along those lines. I know the owner at the moment has not been shy spending money on it previously, surely when most of its suspension bits were being replaced the mechanic would have a good view of the subframe?

Its a very cheap car, MOT in September. If it gets through the next MOT reasonably cheaply and lasts until the one after then, I'll be happy.

[TW]Fox;27445089 said:
Nope, there are billions of base spec 520d's out there but as soon as you limit it to 530d or better, Xenons and nav suddenly the numbers dwindle. Took me ages to find mine.

I've kept an eye out since I got mine as I wouldn't mind trading into a 535i if one ever came up - I bought it because I got sick of waiting. Since then, 9 months ago, exactly zero 535i which would have been suitable came up.

Test drove a 2013 530d Touring today. Lovely car and a really great engine. Compared to the E-class (E350) I tried the other day it was much smoother and more responsive. Also very disappointed with the interior of the E-Class, it felt a lot cheaper than it should.

What are the LCI versions of the 5 series from 2013? What does LCI actual give you? All I know is that it IS desirable so I bought one today, Oct 2013 example - 530d F11 Touring M Sport Auto highly loaded with toys :) Put a grand deposit down on a AUC.

Never even drove the 530d - I currently have a 520d F11 SE 2011 and it is superb. The 530d can only be better ;-) I also waited for a 535d Touring M Sport Auto but as a AUC with low miles and 18 months+ of warranty left they are out of my budget.
EDIT: What better commendation can you get for a car that you'd buy another back to back! I looked at the Audi A6 Avant and the Mercedes E Series estate and they did not float my boat at all...

Last edited:
The LCI added a chrome strip alongside the nav screen and new front and rear lights mostly. The front lights are a mixed blessing - they added Xenons to the standard light clusters.

The plus side is you get Xenons. The downside is the standard light clusters are crappy and don't have LED indicators like the upgraded cluster (that came with Xenons pre LCI and LED's post LCI).

The 530d is mostly better than a 520d yet not in every way - I find the delay before the power comes on at low revs irritating and more noticeably in my 530d than my parents 520d...

Back
Top Bottom