BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27471404 said:
I'm pretty sure that's probably rubbish.

I'd probably enjoy driving around in an M3 I could comfortably afford rather than one I had to get into huge debt for just to tell everyone I had an M3 when I was 20 :p

When you're 20 you can:

Go out for a blast on some empty roads at 5am just because you feel like it.
Go on road trips whenever you want, wherever you want.
Spend as much as you want on fuel because you don't have to budget for mortgage/wife/kids.
Not have to justify the purchase to anyone else but yourself.

None of those things are very likely to happen when you're 40. If your idea of appreciating an M3 is taking it for a slow drive to a country pub with the wife and kids every month then crack on, but personally I think I'd enjoy the ownership far more when I only had myself to worry about.

I completely agree that getting into the kind of debt you'd struggle to repay at 20 is very stupid, but I don't see the problem with a manageable debt which you can easily repay whist enjoying an epic car.

Man of Honour
When you're 20 you can:

Go out for a blast on some empty roads at 5am just because you feel like it.
Go on road trips whenever you want, wherever you want.
Spend as much as you want on fuel because you don't have to budget for mortgage/wife/kids.
Not have to justify the purchase to anyone else but yourself.

None of those things are very likely to happen when you're 40. If your idea of appreciating an M3 is taking it for a slow drive to a country pub with the wife and kids every month then crack on, but personally I think I'd enjoy the ownership far more when I only had myself to worry about.

I completely agree that getting into the kind of debt you'd struggle to repay at 20 is very stupid, but I don't see the problem with a manageable debt which you can easily repay whist enjoying an epic car.

I'm miles from 40 so I'll let Housey tell you how totally rubbish what you've posted is.

You make it sound like your life ends when you get to 40 or something.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27471667 said:
I'm miles from 40 so I'll let Housey tell you how totally rubbish what you've posted is.

You make it sound like your life ends when you get to 40 or something.

I'm aware that you're not 40 - you replied to the post where I stated I'd enjoy an M3 more at 20 than 40 and said it was rubbish, so I continued to use that example. Not sure why you thought I was referring to you - you don't even own an M3 :confused:

I'm sure Housey has a great time with his cars, as do a lot of 40+ year olds, and I hope that I have the opportunity to enjoy cars when I'm 40 as well. Doesn't change the fact that I'd have more opportunities to enjoy an M3 now than in 20 years time though, which was my original point.

Man of Honour
You can't really know that, that's my point. Life is what you make it. If you want to go for 5am blasts in your car you can do it any age. You don't need to get yourself into a pile of debt to do it quickly whilst you are 20. You are more likely to have the financial means to take your M3 blasting across the alps at 40 than you are 20, for a start. You could afford really nice hotels, too :D

Essentially, it's rubbish, you are not more likely to enjoy an M3 than you are at 25, 30, or whenever. Infact its probably more credible to suggest you are less likely to enjoy it at 20 - especially as it'll be a millstone around you neck if, as he says, massive debt is required to purchase it, then you've got the ridiculous waste of money that will be the obscene insurance bill, etc etc. Pointless. Do it later when the expenses of owning it are merely trivial.

Plenty of other great cars to enjoy at 20. It's just an M3, after all. A fast 3 Series.

Lots of people on the internet seem to attach ages to car ownership and I just don't see the point. You see it on PH all the time. 'Yea I've got an Audi S3 and I'm only 20!' as if it's some sort of aspirational badge of honour or something.

Plus 40 is twice 20 - its AGES away! Not ruining yourself buying a 7 year old 3 Series at 20 does't mean you need to wait until you are 40 to do it. Whats wrong with 23? Or 27? Perhaps 33? maybe 37 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;27471707 said:
You can't really know that, that's my point. Life is what you make it. If you want to go for 5am blasts in your car you can do it any age. You don't need to get yourself into a pile of debt to do it quickly whilst you are 20. You are more likely to have the financial means to take your M3 blasting across the alps at 40 than you are 20, for a start. You could afford really nice hotels, too :D

Essentially, it's rubbish, you are not more likely to enjoy an M3 than you are at 25, 30, or whenever. Infact its probably more credible to suggest you are less likely to enjoy it at 20 - especially as it'll be a millstone around you neck if, as he says, massive debt is required to purchase it, then you've got the ridiculous waste of money that will be the obscene insurance bill, etc etc. Pointless. Do it later when the expenses of owning it are merely trivial.

Plenty of other great cars to enjoy at 20. It's just an M3, after all. A fast 3 Series.

Lots of people on the internet seem to attach ages to car ownership and I just don't see the point. You see it on PH all the time. 'Yea I've got an Audi S3 and I'm only 20!' as if it's some sort of aspirational badge of honour or something.

Plus 40 is twice 20 - its AGES away! Not ruining yourself buying a 7 year old 3 Series at 20 does't mean you need to wait until you are 40 to do it. Whats wrong with 23? Or 27? Perhaps 33? maybe 37 :p

I never said that getting into a huge amount of debt which you struggle to pay is in any way a good idea - hence why I don't have an E92 M3 of my own :p

What I am saying however, is that if you can easily afford the repayments at a young age then do it, because your priorities may change later in life. Insurance is only going to be a few hundred more than it would be at 30-40, which in terms of running an M3 is peanuts really.

Yes, there are plenty of older guys on PH having a great time driving all over Europe in nice cars, but almost all of them are wealthier than the vast majority of us. It's also very noticeable the amount of threads you get from people bemoaning having to search for some kind of boring, practical car because their situation doesn't allow them to purchase the car they want.

Basically, unless it was going to put me into the kind of debt that affected other aspects of my life, I can't imagine looking back at owning an M3 at 20 and regretting it. I can however imagine looking back when I'm older at not owning an M3 and feeling gutted that I'd missed my chance.

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Can. Worms. Everywhere :p

[TW]Fox;27471207 said:
Your earning power will probably increase as you get older, there is plenty of time to own decent cars. The only reason why being 20 has anything at all to do with buying an M3 quickly before you are not 20 anymore is the 'bling bling m8 look im only twenny innit' rubbish which I doubt is you.

So in reality it doesn't matter, you might well only live once but you live for a very long time during which you can own very many cars.

As much as I'm not one for keeping up with the Joneses, I'll be completely honest and say there is the smallest element of vanity in it. Not loads otherwise there's no point in going any further than a 320D M-Sport+ AMG Line Super-Swagger edition, but seeing someone do a double take whilst you're filling up does raise a smile. Be perfectly honest, you must have enjoyed it when you were young and driving a nearly new E39 around?

A decent CSL will cost circa £30k and those things are appreciating too :p

Full paint correction, that will sort me out for the long run as all I then have to do is wash it as per normal then apply the seal (476s, natch) to keep the paint in that condition year round :cool:

Everything else is tastefully done, as if it could have been a factory option at purchase, well, apart from the Andrive nav unit which will be running Android Auto when the update is out.

Let's stop applying sensible logic to a CSL :p. Sounds very very good, guessing you've seen the work of the detailer before? Also completely random, which head unit did you have in your 318Ci? A friend has the single-DIN stereo in his E46 and is considering upgrading and I remember yours being rather good.

What kind of debt are we talking. I haven't seen any kind of a 'budget' in any of these posts.

He could be loaded for all I know.

I say do what you can afford/want.

Most definitely not loaded lol. Budget is flexible but would be a ~£10-15k deposit, the rest financed/bank loan. Going to keep mouth shut now and stop fantasizing until work have told me what to expect as a bonus

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Let's stop applying sensible logic to a CSL :p. Sounds very very good, guessing you've seen the work of the detailer before? Also completely random, which head unit did you have in your 318Ci? A friend has the single-DIN stereo in his E46 and is considering upgrading and I remember yours being rather good.

Yup he's got a gallery up on his pages and I've seen his work in person. If he's good enough for detailing world sponsorship then he's good enough for me :p

That would be the Alpine 178BT head unit. Really a brilliant unit with more SQ settings than you can shake a stick at.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Yup he's got a gallery up on his pages and I've seen his work in person. If he's good enough for detailing world sponsorship then he's good enough for me :p

That would be the Alpine 178BT head unit. Really a brilliant unit with more SQ settings than you can shake a stick at.

Who are you using? The sponsored guys on Detailing World achieve fantastic results. Thanks for the info, have passed it on :)

Surely it makes more sense to throw that money into a house, especially with today’s economy. Get yourself grounded first - then start splashing money on unnecessaries.

House purchase definitely won't happen for another 2 or 3 years yet, still waiting for GF to finish uni and then get a job with decent income, hence the temptation for frivolity in the mean time.

Caporegime
I'm aware that you're not 40 - you replied to the post where I stated I'd enjoy an M3 more at 20 than 40 and said it was rubbish, so I continued to use that example. Not sure why you thought I was referring to you - you don't even own an M3 :confused:

I'm sure Housey has a great time with his cars, as do a lot of 40+ year olds, and I hope that I have the opportunity to enjoy cars when I'm 40 as well. Doesn't change the fact that I'd have more opportunities to enjoy an M3 now than in 20 years time though, which was my original point.

I think by enjoy, you mean enjoy all the pussy you imagine you'll get being a 20 year old in a bling motor hanging out at the local club with all the girls eager to drop their knickers because they think you have money.

Soldato
OP
Dear lord this gets even better, just had Sytner Sunningdale phone me and ask me if I'm interested in buying a Z4 (like the one I was after 20 months ago) :D Clearly they don't look at the name of the previous owner on the V5.

Soldato
I'm going to look at this tomorrow. I've spoken to the seller, He wants around 20k 'buy it now' If all goes well I think I'll offer maybe 18.5 there and then. Seem about right?
I did a HPI check and all fine except a typo..
We have the following mileages recorded for this registration:

338,000 miles recorded on 8 Jul 2014
36,000 miles recorded on 18 Dec 2012

I'll be getting a warranty from BMW if I purchase but is there anything I should look out for?

Back
Top Bottom