BMW and M Power Owners

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
E39 M5? :cool:

I am absolutely loving the M3. The manual gearbox works so well on the road. The cutch is a bit heavier than my 318Ci but the biting point is sharper and easier to control. I love the sound of the engine and exhaust combination, especially on narrow roads or even driving under a railways bridge the echo and rasp is glorious. I had my bro in law convoy with me over the weekend and he said from his 330D, the exhaust could be heard nicely.

Overtaking has gone from being a task to an event, drop to 3rd, squeeze the throttle and zip past with lots of noise :p

The only thing I am still getting used to is the inclusion of a few creaks from around the areas where the softtop meets the windscreen. Once the car is detailed this week I will spend time cleaning all the seals and getting some dirt out of those recesses.

Stunning engine though, it just wants to live in the 4-8000 rev range :D

I've gotten around 5.1s to 60 in cold weather (lifting at just under 3krpm). 5s (maybe lower) is certainly doable on a nice warm day and seems in-line with what others online have hinted at. The Coupe with SMG gets 4.6-4.8 by the same measure.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I'd be better posting this in a dedicated thread then I'll start one up, but I was hoping this might be the place to ask.

Later this year I'm looking at potentially (for the first time ever) getting a brand new car, more than likely on some sort of PCP deal with the aim of keeping it rolling into a new deal when it comes to an end.

I currently have an ST220, and what I really want to do is take a big step up in quality, whilst (broadly) keeping in a similar performance bracket. Having had a browse of the current BMW range, I think that puts me in 320i / 420i territory, would that be about right? I'll obviously need to spend some time wearing down my local dealership to get a good deal at the time, but first is making sure I'm looking at the right cars (test drive dependent of course)!

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Why bother with a new one - get a 6 month old used one instead and you can have a well specified 428i instead of a 420i?

The 428i has identical running costs to a 420i but is much quicker - 0-60 in 5.9.

Soldato
But then why not take out either HP or preferrably a loan even if it's over a longer term to keep payments reasonable?

I've just taken a 3.9% loan from sainsburys, there are many between there and 5% that will keep total interest to a reasonable sum so long as you're not borrowing the full amount of the car it should keep you in a reasonable position

Man of Honour
There is a much higher APR on the used one compared to what's being offered on a brand new 4 series at the moment.

So either:

a) Buy a car you don't need a whacking huge amount of dealer finance to get into

or

b) Take out a personal loan for @ low APR and use cash for the rest.

I don't get the whole brand new low model car thing. The 'low APR' is cancelled out by the fact you are paying loads of money for something like a 320i.

Option b) would be the right way to go IMHO if you want to borrow for a car.

There are many better cars than a 320i most of which are within your reach and that's sensible alternatives rather than LOLZ GET A 10 YR OLD BENTLEY INNIT.

Man of Honour
http://youtu.be/kApBj71I-_Q

Any ideas on what this noise might be on a 530d?

I have no idea what it is but mine makes similar random high pitched beepy whiney noises when the engine is off and it's sitting locked on the drive. Not quite the same sound as yours but I've only heard it from outside rather than under the bonnet.

I'm pretty certain it's the same thing. If you find out what it is I'd be very interested to know!

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato

:D

We shall see, I think I'm too impatient to wait for the perfect one to come up and I'd quite like some newer toys in the car. Parents keep pushing me towards an E92 M3 (with the logic of don't be boring and sensible, I can save for a house later and you are only 20 once) but the thought of being in debt for the next ~3 years for a car to do 5k per year in doesn't sit too well with me. I'll spare everyone the full thought process as it just goes round and round in circles :p

How many changes are left to be done to the M3?

Soldato
We shall see, I think I'm too impatient to wait for the perfect one to come up and I'd quite like some newer toys in the car. Parents keep pushing me towards an E92 M3 (with the logic of don't be boring and sensible, I can save for a house later and you are only 20 once) but the thought of being in debt for the next ~3 years for a car to do 5k per year in doesn't sit too well with me. I'll spare everyone the full thought process as it just goes round and round in circles :p

CSL it is then :cool:

Seems our parents are similar chap, when I was 20 my dad was very nonchalant about car choices, in fact encouraged me to go out and get faster toys if I ever mentioned them.

My advice would be to not go down that route (not knowing anything about your personal finances, mind), always better to be comfortable and move out as a priority. Just my two pence.

Life is too short to not buy what you want (within reason) though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
:D

How many changes are left to be done to the M3?

Well, you only live once, if you truly desire a V8 and an E92 M3 ticks that desire then nobody can stop you fulfilling that desire :p

Remember last year I told you I'd happily wait for the right E46 M3 to pop up, it had to have red leather and maybe be a convertible and that I'd like a different body colour? That happened and I had to have it!

Just the tips to fit once the wind and rain sod off. Tomorrow the whole car is being detailed so will drop it off at the guy's unit for 3 days. I am pretty confident it will be one of the nicest examples of an E46 M3 I'll see on the road.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27470193 said:
I have no idea what it is but mine makes similar random high pitched beepy whiney noises when the engine is off and it's sitting locked on the drive. Not quite the same sound as yours but I've only heard it from outside rather than under the bonnet.

I'm pretty certain it's the same thing. If you find out what it is I'd be very interested to know!

I'll try and get BMW to look at it, I have also had a couple of "incidents" with my MFD going all dodgy in eco pro mode, so I'll get them to look at that if nothing else.

Soldato
It just sounds like one of the systems purging/resetting - has it always done it?

I don't recall to be honest. I usually stack it in the garage, and fire upstairs to see the kids.

It's only recently (last few months), I have noticed it, occasionally. But it does seem to be a bit more common recently (probably since it's service maybe).

Back
Top Bottom