BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
I'll try and get BMW to look at it, I have also had a couple of "incidents" with my MFD going all dodgy in eco pro mode, so I'll get them to look at that if nothing else.

I think it's normal, but happy to hear back what your findings are. They can look at mine too if yours is broken :D

Man of Honour
High pressure fuel pump priming, perhaps? If I'm under the bonnet of my car I occasionally hear similar noises and relay clicks which I have presumed are something to do with the fuel delivery or ignition (obviously not applicable to a 530d though) system.

Why would the fuel pump be priming itself on a locked and alarmed car?

Soldato
Wow, no shortage of replies, thanks guys!

To be clear, I haven't started looking at the relative deals out there, so the loan vs PCP, new vs used is something I haven't got into yet, I'm doing some more technical learning at the moment to see what I would want in terms of spec range, then I'll look at whether it's within budget - if I'm going to commit to something I want to commit to the right car, not a compromise that I might not be happy with.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27470188 said:
So either:

a) Buy a car you don't need a whacking huge amount of dealer finance to get into

or

b) Take out a personal loan for @ low APR and use cash for the rest.

I don't get the whole brand new low model car thing. The 'low APR' is cancelled out by the fact you are paying loads of money for something like a 320i.

Option b) would be the right way to go IMHO if you want to borrow for a car.

There are many better cars than a 320i most of which are within your reach and that's sensible alternatives rather than LOLZ GET A 10 YR OLD BENTLEY INNIT.

But if the APR offered on a new car through dealer finance is competitive with a loan, why not? And after looking around, the finance APR would be lower by around 2% or more compared to an unsecured loan. Saving a few thousand over the course of the loan. I know there is a saving to be made by buying second hand, but that difference closes up somewhat when you look at the interest differences and possible greater discount opportunities on a new purchase.

And it's more a case of finding a spec that I want rather than finding a low milage example for the 428i.

I certainly don't want a 10 year old Bentley :p.

Man of Honour
But if the APR offered on a new car through dealer finance is competitive with a loan, why not?

That's not what I said.

I'm talking about using a loan to fund a cheaper car, not a brand new car, in response to your idea that new is better than used because the finance is cheaper.

Buying a brand new car with a fairly rubbish engine variant because 'the finance is low rate' just seems a bit silly.

There are high specification 328i/428i and even 335i/435i around for the same or less money than you'd pay for a 320i or a 420i.

If you are totally loaded then do what you like (Though if you are loaded then why settle for a 320i) but if you are not why stretch into a financed base engined car? Whats the point? The 320i really is absolutely nothing special. It's certainly not worth borrowing over 30,000 quid to drive around in.

What about this for an example of my point. After negotiation, I'd be suprised if you didn't drive away in this for a price beginning with 23:

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/3-Series/...90694-604785021-3497290.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

How is a brand new 320i on dealer finance better than that?

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/3-Series/...90694-604694928-3497010.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Or that?

Or how about this - surely nobody would rather buy a 320i over this just because the 320i is new:

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/3-Series/...90695-604801575-3497162.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

All of these cars will be immaculate, smell new and have a cast iron warranty.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, you're talking about apr being lower - but i've never seen any deal on a new car offering less than the 3.9% you'll get just now (call it 5% worst case if you've decent credit history) without effectively removing your negotiation power....thereby removing the benefit of the lower apr.

Starting with something that's already taken a slight depreciation hit is always going to be a good way to go if you couldn't otherwise afford that same car new, provided you aren't strangled with either financing 100%, a terrible rate or committed to just handing it back, taking any hit at the back end of the deal and starting again

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Wow. Second one is a great price. Suspect that was near 40k rrp. I have a 328i, great engine considering its a 4 pot.

Man of Honour
I have a 328i, great engine considering its a 4 pot.

How do you find the engine? I've toyed with the idea of swapping to a 528i if one popped up but I've never driven one and can't find one to test drive without going out of my way. On paper it looks excellent but... it's 4 cylinders and the 270bhp 4 cylinder Cadillac I rent on holiday sounds coarse and unpleasant :(

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
CSL it is then :cool:

Seems our parents are similar chap, when I was 20 my dad was very nonchalant about car choices, in fact encouraged me to go out and get faster toys if I ever mentioned them.

My advice would be to not go down that route (not knowing anything about your personal finances, mind), always better to be comfortable and move out as a priority. Just my two pence.

Life is too short to not buy what you want (within reason) though.

A CSL is actually somewhat of a sensible choice with the possible appreciation :p Yeah lots of life choices to be made and all that, don't want to look back in a few years and think what I could have done, but equally don't want to screw myself over financially.

[TW]Fox;27470350 said:
I can't think what that has to do with anything really :confused:

Because in a few years when there's lots of other financial commitments like a house/family etc, then priorities will change and it may be quite a few more years until it's reasonable to spend large sums of money solely on myself?

Well, you only live once, if you truly desire a V8 and an E92 M3 ticks that desire then nobody can stop you fulfilling that desire :p

Remember last year I told you I'd happily wait for the right E46 M3 to pop up, it had to have red leather and maybe be a convertible and that I'd like a different body colour? That happened and I had to have it!

Just the tips to fit once the wind and rain sod off. Tomorrow the whole car is being detailed so will drop it off at the guy's unit for 3 days. I am pretty confident it will be one of the nicest examples of an E46 M3 I'll see on the road.

Unfortunately my mind is more than capable of stopping itself :p

Considering the general standard of E46 M3s (at least what I see round here) you're definitely on to a winner. Anything special being done or just a full paint correction?

Soldato
Because in a few years when there's lots of other financial commitments like a house/family etc, then priorities will change and it may be quite a few more years until it's reasonable to spend large sums of money solely on myself?

Or you may have a fairly healthy combined income to rely on pre-children, not too stressed by mortgage payments because you could put a decent bit down ;)

An e46 M3 would give you just as much if not more fun at half the outlay. If one absolutely must have a v8 a 540i may look like an ancient motor now, but they still make a wonderful noise at a couple of grand

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27471102 said:
That's not what I said.

I'm talking about using a loan to fund a cheaper car, not a brand new car, in response to your idea that new is better than used because the finance is cheaper.

Buying a brand new car with a fairly rubbish engine variant because 'the finance is low rate' just seems a bit silly.

There are high specification 328i/428i and even 335i/435i around for the same or less money than you'd pay for a 320i or a 420i.

If you are totally loaded then do what you like (Though if you are loaded then why settle for a 320i) but if you are not why stretch into a financed base engined car? Whats the point? The 320i really is absolutely nothing special. It's certainly not worth borrowing over 30,000 quid to drive around in.

Fair one on that point then. Yeah, I wasn't talking about using finance to get a new base model spec car, a loan for a second hand car is a much better option, that's what I did for my first car as the APR was much better than I could have been offered through a finance company.

Man of Honour

Your earning power will probably increase as you get older, there is plenty of time to own decent cars. The only reason why being 20 has anything at all to do with buying an M3 quickly before you are not 20 anymore is the 'bling bling m8 look im only twenny innit' rubbish which I doubt is you.

So in reality it doesn't matter, you might well only live once but you live for a very long time during which you can own very many cars.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A CSL is actually somewhat of a sensible choice with the possible appreciation :p Yeah lots of life choices to be made and all that, don't want to look back in a few years and think what I could have done, but equally don't want to screw myself over financially.

Unfortunately my mind is more than capable of stopping itself :p

Considering the general standard of E46 M3s (at least what I see round here) you're definitely on to a winner. Anything special being done or just a full paint correction?

A decent CSL will cost circa £30k and those things are appreciating too :p

Full paint correction, that will sort me out for the long run as all I then have to do is wash it as per normal then apply the seal (476s, natch) to keep the paint in that condition year round :cool:

Everything else is tastefully done, as if it could have been a factory option at purchase, well, apart from the Andrive nav unit which will be running Android Auto when the update is out.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27471207 said:
Your earning power will probably increase as you get older, there is plenty of time to own decent cars. The only reason why being 20 has anything at all to do with buying an M3 quickly before you are not 20 anymore is the 'bling bling m8 look im only twenny innit' rubbish which I doubt is you.

So in reality it doesn't matter, you might well only live once but you live for a very long time during which you can own very many cars.

Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy driving around in an E92 M3 far more at 20 than I would at 40.

Man of Honour
Be that as it may, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy driving around in an E92 M3 far more at 20 than I would at 40.

I'm pretty sure that's probably rubbish.

I'd probably enjoy driving around in an M3 I could comfortably afford rather than one I had to get into huge debt for just to tell everyone I had an M3 when I was 20 :p

Back
Top Bottom