BMW and M Power Owners

Onboard Computer.

There were two versions available on the E39 - a basic one and an extended one available as an option (or as standard with navigation).

CIC retrofitting for CCC cars has become much cheaper recently. When I was looking in 2012 it was still around a grand for the equipment plus coding; seems you can get it all done now for under £500. I think that's one of the only downsides to earlier E9x M3's but now it's a lot more affordable.

CIC retrofitting for CCC cars has become much cheaper recently. When I was looking in 2012 it was still around a grand for the equipment plus coding; seems you can get it all done now for under £500. I think that's one of the only downsides to earlier E9x M3's but now it's a lot more affordable.
On a similar note, what is noteworthy about the newest iDrive?
Is it still called CIC or iDrive Touch or what?

I've noticed the knob is bigger so I presume that'll be finger recognition.

Anything else that makes it better than the older CIC?

It's NBT. It looks and feels a bit swisher to use, but beyond that, I have less functionality with the NBT over the CIC, but I think that's more to do with the way some of the functions are now charged for.

Think of NBT as an enhanced, swisher and more modern looking CIC. I beleive the 'official' name for NBT is actually 'CIC-High' which further shows its an evolution of CIC.

Whereas CIC was a revolution over CCC. You'd feel seriously short changed with a CCC car these days - it absolutely looks its age and is very low resolution with non intuitive menus etc. Whereas CIC is still fairly excellent to use.

It is fairly crappy how BMW stripped a load of the standard features out and now charge extra for them. What is it you are missing xs2man, isn't it just the ConnectedDrive services? Or do you miss out on the Enhanced Bluetooth as standard too?

Last edited:
Yeah, miss out on the enhanced bluetooth. But also in my 335d with CIC I was able to get the news "apps" without connecting my phone via USB. And I could look up information about my current location, or wherever I had set in my nav as a destination etc... Weather, local attractions etc...

I didn't have "full" internet with my CIC, I couldn't look up google, or search from there, but I could do some stuff, reading the news headlines for example, which made sitting about in the car a bit nicer. I'm missing that functionality at least, but on the other hand, I can flash my lights and stick my heating on before I get to the car, for whatever that's worth.

I do have ConnectedDrive with my NBT Pro Nav, but it does feel a bit stripped back compared to what I had with the CIC. I wasn't willing to pay for such basic things that should have been included (enhanced BT for example, can just be coded in. If it's just a software change, then why charge £400+ for it?).

I am not in any way endorsing the £400 charge for Enhanced Bluetooth, but it's more than a software change if you spec it upfront. It includes a cradle which is wired into the car's antenna to provide a better signal, and it also charges the phone at the same time.

Yeah, miss out on the enhanced bluetooth. But also in my 335d with CIC I was able to get the news "apps" without connecting my phone via USB. And I could look up information about my current location, or wherever I had set in my nav as a destination etc... Weather, local attractions etc...

I didn't have "full" internet with my CIC, I couldn't look up google, or search from there, but I could do some stuff, reading the news headlines for example, which made sitting about in the car a bit nicer. I'm missing that functionality at least, but on the other hand, I can flash my lights and stick my heating on before I get to the car, for whatever that's worth.

I do have ConnectedDrive with my NBT Pro Nav, but it does feel a bit stripped back compared to what I had with the CIC. I wasn't willing to pay for such basic things that should have been included (enhanced BT for example, can just be coded in. If it's just a software change, then why charge £400+ for it?).

Have you tried the software change, yet? I'm really keen to enable BT streaming, it seems crazy it's not already included with Pro Nav.

Back
Top Bottom