BMW and M Power Owners

Perhaps the previous owner installed a bypass module (cheap on ebay) so as to not get the airbag warning light come up (used to be common fault on E46). Have you not had the car into BMW recently from the letters they sent out about the airbag recall?

The seats do not have airbags in them, only the dash, doors and pillars do.

Perhaps the previous owner installed a bypass module (cheap on ebay) so as to not get the airbag warning light come up (used to be common fault on E46). Have you not had the car into BMW recently from the letters they sent out about the airbag recall?

The seats do not have airbags in them, only the dash, doors and pillars do.

Thanks mrk - yeah I think I was one of the first people to have them in, I had the car in for an oil service in September 2014 and they replaced it there and then. But they didn't mention anything about the occupancy sensor being off.

In terms of functionality I'm guessing the airbags should be fine?

Do you mean the passenger airbag in working order? If you've not got a warning light and you're certain a bypass module hasn't been installed under the seat then yes there's no reason the airbag should not fire in the event of an accident and there being a passenger in the seat!

[TW]Fox;27526723 said:
Has anyone got an x28i? I'd appreciate some thoughts about how they compare to the 6 cylinder engines. I've never driven one and can't find any to have a go in so getting practical experience is difficult.

I often rent a Cadillac ATS which has a 270bhp 2.0T and whilst the performance is excellent the noise the thing makes is irritating and gruff and it's putting me off 4 pots in general. Whats the BMW 2 litre like?

What sort of fuel economy do you get on a long trip?

Have you asked on PH as well? Might reach a wider audience.

Fed up of the diesel? :p

I would guess the refinement of the engine in a BMW, especially an F10 should easily surpass that of the Cadillac. I wouldn't describe mine as annoying and gruff when I accelerate hard, and that's a Ford ;) it has quite a meaty sound to it in fact.

Edit: nvm that's not a 2.0T

Last edited:
FWD as well I believe? Remember when BMW did just a handful of models? Good times...

Yes I believe so, also remember hearing that's the way they're going to head for the new 1 series? (Not the facelift, but the next new model) I assume there's a logical decision behind it in terms of commercials/more space inside the car, but doesn't look good for an M135i replacement unless they go for some sort of 4WD system a la Golf R/A45 AMG.

Do you mean the passenger airbag in working order? If you've not got a warning light and you're certain a bypass module hasn't been installed under the seat then yes there's no reason the airbag should not fire in the event of an accident and there being a passenger in the seat!

I've had a look under the passenger seat today and can't see any bypass module that's been installed, but there's definitely no warning when the seat belt is taken off and someone is in the seat.

Short of driving it into a brick wall, is there any way I can find out if it would work in the event of an accident? Is it an open circuit that's closed once it's detected weight on the seat? Or vice versa?

Edit; I've just read this, I'll check later if I've had this done;
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=771535

Last edited:
I've had a look under the passenger seat today and can't see any bypass module that's been installed, but there's definitely no warning when the seat belt is taken off and someone is in the seat.

Short of driving it into a brick wall, is there any way I can find out if it would work in the event of an accident? Is it an open circuit that's closed once it's detected weight on the seat? Or vice versa?

Edit; I've just read this, I'll check later if I've had this done;
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=771535

Oh do you mean the seatbelt light on the dash doesn't come on if someone is sat in the passenger seat? TBH I've never noticed this although all my passengers do buckle up immediately. Maybe I should put it to the test next time :o

Cleaned it at the weekend for the first time this year. I've also since put the M Tech rear lip spoiler on, too:

photo_2015-01-26_17-36-23_zpsohap0ynm.jpg

photo_2015-01-26_17-36-30_zpsew1hfoeh.jpg

I stlil don't understand why they made the rear diffuser on the F10 body coloured, is it still body coloured on the M Sport bumper? Being black sections off the rear end nicely and gives a sportier appearance! With your spoiler it would look proper reet Fox.

What's the best forum for getting advice on an e46? There seem to be a few like Bimmerzone, e46zone e46fanaticss...

You've named a few already :p UK members will be wanting to also check out BMWland and take advantage of some member discounts via Cotswold group in the relevant sections. Bimmerforums is also another one.

Back
Top Bottom