BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Well, the new i4 is boring the pants off me to be honest ....
why then - weight&dynamics, or , as MrRockliffe suggested software user interface - roll on an electric touring 3/5 for space, though

Only way I can think this will happen is through software. Feels like every company is becoming a software company :(
like the gravy train they're trying to develop for software options (self driving aside) ?
I think the end game is apple/google/microsoft taking over - and that would probably drive down cost & increase customer satisfaction
I want phone calls via the car sim and no restriction on native HU navigation & streaming options.

Soldato
Soldato
Is it a standard M2 or Comp? Looks like the standard to me

If so, what’s stopped you looking at the competition variant?
Comp is more expensive to service, engine typically less reliable, sounds worse, more expensive. Of course it is a better car but it sounds like Gibbo wants something for a few months which he can then punt on. At 26-27k price point this is far easier than something 37-38k+, especially as a private sale, rather than spend money on mods making it sound better etc.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Is it a standard M2 or Comp? Looks like the standard to me

If so, what’s stopped you looking at the competition variant?

Standard M2 manual with comp wheels, also a deal has been done, so shall be collecting it soon. :)

Also had this for weekend:

IMG_2168.jpeg IMG_2165.jpeg IMG_2126.jpeg

Looks better in flesh and easy to drive though definetely feels bigger than older M2’s and the whole car feels rubbery hard to explain but it’s not raw at all not even on track mode, it’s left me cold and for anyone who likes an M car to somewhat feel raw and edgy they won’t enjoy this but anyone looking for a daily nice driver well it’s a very rounded car but not for me.

I’ve gone with original M2 for this exact reason it sounds so superior but feels more direct, connected and raw. Not complaint though was great to get it for so long. :)

Permabanned
and exhausts!! BMW have lost the plot big time! The M2 looks like it was being 3d printed and they ran out of printer material just as the hit the top of the grill
Taking design cues from a Honda Civic?

iu

Soldato
Congrats on the new car @Gibbo. Long Beach Blue is a stunning colour!

Quick question for you - what are your thoughts on moving from an LCI M135i into an OG LCI M2 or M2C?

I'm asking because I've had my M135i for over 5 years now and to be honest I'm a little bored. I've always wanted an M2 and now it's realistic, but dare I say it, not sure if it'll actually be worth it? My stock M135i has zero issues and the mileage is low for the age (43k), so I'd be moving purely for enjoyment purposes only.

I haven't driven an M2 yet, but I did sit in an LCI M2 yesterday and cabin wise it felt identical to my current car (admittedly I didn't use iDrive 6 which would feel very different). This is a bit of a concern, as I'd like both the cabin and driving experience to look/feel notably better.

A quick look on Autotrader turned up a 2018 LCI M2 with 22k miles, competition wheels, carbon fibre exterior kit, HK audio, reverse assist camera and a bunch of other extras for £32,490. Competitions are from around £36-37k onwards.

I'd prefer trade over private and ideally a low mileage example due to the length of time it would stay with me for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quick question for you - what are your thoughts on moving from an LCI M135i into an OG LCI M2 or M2C?
It will feel much better and more special on the road. Whether that is worth it to you for the cost to keep/run etc is an individual choice.

Maybe also look at an F82 as the cabin is an (albeit small) step up from the 1/2 series of that generation.

Soldato
It will feel much better and more special on the road. Whether that is worth it to you for the cost to keep/run etc is an individual choice.

Maybe also look at an F82 as the cabin is an (albeit small) step up from the 1/2 series of that generation.
That's exactly what I'm after - a more special car.

I'm not a massive fan of the F82 M4, but I would be open to trying it at least.

In terms of running costs, how different will the M2 be compared to my M135i? Tyres, discs and pads, yes all will be more expensive. BMW Warranty and insurance, marginally more expensive. Car tax will effectively be double - £290 > £560? Overall more expensive yes, but drastically different?

Caporegime

In terms of running costs, how different will the M2 be compared to my M135i? Tyres, discs and pads, yes all will be more expensive. BMW Warranty and insurance, marginally more expensive. Car tax will effectively be double - £290 > £560? Overall more expensive yes, but drastically different?

Warranty is significantly more expensive.

Soldato
Definitely. M cars all share the same warranty system. M2 or M5 - it's very expensive.
I just picked a random N55 2018 M2 from Autotrader and checked the price - £1445 compared to £320 on my M135i. I was expecting an increase but not that level of increase! :eek:

Man of Honour

Mine is £1500-£2000 a year before fuel: warranty, tax (soon to come down), and insurance. Spark plug service on the S55 (M2 Comp) is ~£1k at a dealer. No idea about N55 servicing I'm afraid. Tyres are going to wear quicker as the geo will be more aggressive, so check the prices of them. Think my rears have done ~5k and will need replacing soon but it depends on how you drive it, MDM mode and junctions do get addictive! Not sure on the M2 brakes but M3/M4 brakes are quite expensive for the discs and the rears tend to wear out quickly if TC is left on.

I do miss my M140, it was easier to live with day to day and genuine 40+ mpg on the motorway, but show it a corner (even with the diff) or a nice bit of tarmac and it quickly faltered and felt out of its depth. F80 definitely feels more special, even at low speed, the front end is lovely and it just feels like a special bit of kit.

Not sure on use case but M2 I don't think has independent suspension/steering/throttle settings like the M3/4 do hence I know a lot mod them and put on more compliant suspension.

Man of Honour
I just picked a random N55 2018 M2 from Autotrader and checked the price - £1445 compared to £320 on my M135i. I was expecting an increase but not that level of increase! :eek:
Yeah they are not cheap, buy an AUC car and extend the warranty, or find a private one where the current owner has insured warranty as it can be transferred and extended, my M3 is ~£875 I think, with £250 excess and BMW breakdown.

Some dealers used to give you 2 years AUC however I have heard that is less and less likely to happen now post Covid madness.

Personally if you are getting an N55 I'd be tempted to run without warranty and chuck some money into savings.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
and exhausts!! BMW have lost the plot big time! The M2 looks like it was being 3d printed and they ran out of printer material just as the hit the top of the grill

It’s a 3-4k option for that ugly looking exhaust and it seemed quiet to my ears.

I think it’ll be a fantastic car - rare to get manual 6 cylinders as new as an M2.

Enjoy!

Yes hope I gel with it, they say it’s most akin to an E30/E36 or so the press say but the press also sing praises for this latest model M2 and I was left cold by it to the point I was not excited about driving it back and I’ve never not been excited about an M car before it just felt too plush should really be a m240i as I say it felt rubbery and when I put it in softer mode it just got softer but worse that the body control felt poor, think it’s weight was showing but in firmest setting it rode fine and would be easy to daily to do big miles but it’s not special apart from the way it looks which some may find epic and some ugly all I say it’s better in person and it certainly turned heads not sure for right reasons though with all stuck on tat.

Congrats on the new car @Gibbo. Long Beach Blue is a stunning colour!

I'm asking because I've had my M135i for over 5 years now and to be honest I'm a little bored. I've always wanted an M2 and now it's realistic, but dare I say it, not sure if it'll actually be worth it? My stock M135i has zero issues and the mileage is low for the age (43k), so I'd be moving purely for enjoyment purposes only.

I haven't driven an M2 yet, but I did sit in an LCI M2 yesterday and cabin wise it felt identical to my current car (admittedly I didn't use iDrive 6 which would feel very different). This is a bit of a concern, as I'd like both the cabin and driving experience to look/feel notably better.

A quick look on Autotrader turned up a 2018 LCI M2 with 22k miles, competition wheels, carbon fibre exterior kit, HK audio, reverse assist camera and a bunch of other extras for £32,490. Competitions are from around £36-37k onwards.

I'd prefer trade over private and ideally a low mileage example due to the length of time it would stay with me for.

I’ve not driven a 135i for a long time but expect the M2 OG to be rawer and feel that bit more special but don’t expect a different car, interior is same and performance not world apart the M2 has styling, sounds good and rides a lot more firm.

Prices are in free fall so whatever you buy don’t buy at top end of market you will get hit harder. Car I’m buying has 45k miles and is OK spec with full BMW history and has what I wanted which was manual seats (you sit lower), heated seats, manual, sensors/camera etc. no HK audio and got it for a good price so I know if I lose on it then it’s a maximum of 1-2k.

The Competition rides a touch better and has the M engine but I actually prefer the N55 for noise and it’s more reliable and economic unit ideal as a daily potentially, and I just wanted the rawest modern smallest current M car always fancied one so ticking it off the list.

Go drive them though you may just find it too similar to what you have and warranty wise I’d self warranty as I think if you keep it standard, go for a manual then it’s best to bank the £1500 per year towards repair bills, I’m no expert but from my research OG manual M2’s tend to be prettt safe bets just check the diff for leaks and that all electrics and lights work.

OcUK Staff
Comp is more expensive to service, engine typically less reliable, sounds worse, more expensive. Of course it is a better car but it sounds like Gibbo wants something for a few months which he can then punt on. At 26-27k price point this is far easier than something 37-38k+, especially as a private sale, rather than spend money on mods making it sound better etc.

Yeah though if me and Mrs really gel with it then it could potentially replace the GR.

One thing I will say after getting out the G87 M2 and then into the GR Yaris is that the GR just felt so much more engaging and focused around the driving pleasure, I agree with the hype it got by reviewers on the driving dynamics and I also agree about the basic nasty interior but to drive it made me smile more than latest M2, where the M2 won is it did feel way more special than a Yaris and the interior quality and toys were on a different level.

So if the OG M2 can rival the GR in driving stakes it may replace it as even an OG M2 is a far nicer place to be than a Yaris and feels more special.

Just to note the latest M2 I test drove was a manual also.

OcUK Staff
It's due to the particulate filter. With the Quadrifoglio you can put on a Akrapovic for quite a lot of money and it sounds... exactly like the stock one.

Yeah but my Quad sounded awesome but it was a 66 so again no filters and I drove it everywhere in race mode lol. Amazing car but did not really bond with it but it felt no bigger than new M2, had far better steering and it felt lighter too with none of rubbery feeling but the ride was fine, the Alfa was also far far quicker or felt it which is what matters to me. The new M2 was quick but even approaching big speeds it felt like I was not going fast which is a big no for me.

Back
Top Bottom