BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
0rN6QOI.jpg

My 2004 e46 M3.

Soldato
Deposit down on a Boxster 981 S, so my 135i is going a lot earlier than expected.

In an ideal world, I would keep the 135i alongside the Boxster. It's a recipe for the perfect reasonably-priced sports car.

3L I6, manual, reasonably short wheelbase, convertible, all the mod cons you need inc: adaptive xenons; CarPlay; decent stereo with upgraded amplifier/DSP; heated seats; cruise.

I wasn't intending to get a 981 S yet, but the right one came up and so I couldn't resist.

I'll be keeping the 135i for the rest of the year, as there's some driving I still want to do with it. I genuinely love driving this car.

Last edited:

OG

OG

Associate
530d in for service/few investigation bits with BMW Harrogate, they rather kindly tried to give me an 840i as a courtesy car but with a 39 week pregnant wife and two car seats to get in the back I had to let down the pretty excited service person ('we've got you a really good courtesy car!') :(... soo drove back in an X6.. ironically I think the boot is effectively the same size as the 8s eries due to stupid shape of the rear end! But at least there's room for everyone/easier to get into for my wife should we need to make an emergency dash to the hospital!

Have asked them to investigate the auto headlights turning off/on in quick succession in broad daylight which happens maybe once every month or so, not the biggest deal in the world but I feel like a bit of a prat when it happens and someone is in front as probably looks like I'm just flashing them.

Soldato
can't transplant that to new car - twas nice kit from you earlier discussion here.

No it’s BMW specific. I’ve set it up with time alignment and EQd it to my tastes.

If I was keeping the car I’d add a crossover between the front mid and tweeter, since currently they’re getting the same signal. At higher volumes it can distort quite a bit with certain tracks.

Soldato
Having previously had a 320i and didn’t mind it. I’ve been back in the market and looking at 5 series as I need a bigger car. Can someone enlighten me on how the 530e works?
the same engine with a battery and does it drive purely on battery til it runs out or piggy backs it all the time?

Also do they all have rear folding seats or is that an extra?

Lastly are they actually any good ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having previously had a 320i and didn’t mind it. I’ve been back in the market and looking at 5 series as I need a bigger car. Can someone enlighten me on how the 530e works? Isit the same engine with a battery and does it drive purely on battery til it runs out or piggy backs it all the time? Lastly are they actually any good ?

It is the same engine with a battery, yes, but it also has a very small fuel tank and therefore a pretty poor range on petrol.

The most recent ones are not bad but the older ones I see no real value for as a used purchase. You might as well just buy a petrol one.

Soldato
It is the same engine with a battery, yes, but it also has a very small fuel tank and therefore a pretty poor range on petrol.

The most recent ones are not bad but the older ones I see no real value for as a used purchase. You might as well just buy a petrol one.
When having a browse they seem cheaper as the hybrid variant probably due to the amount being sold. I thought as much though.

Do the 5 series have rear folding seats or is that an extra?

Lastly if you had say 20k maybe push 22k for the right spec what would you recommend family of soon to be 4.

Thanks

Oh forgot to add I do 20miles a day tops maybe 8/9k a year so petrol seems best for me

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When having a browse they seem cheaper as the hybrid variant probably due to the amount being sold. I thought as much though.

For whatever reason they are less popular on the used market than the petrol and diesel versions. This makes them great value - but there is a reason people don't want them. It's up to you whether that applies to you or not.

Do the 5 series have rear folding seats or is that an extra?

Folding seats are an option on the 5 Series and not standard, though I am not sure if they were ever available in the hybrid as the boot floor is higher because of the batteries.

Lastly if you had say 20k maybe push 22k for the right spec what would you recommend family of soon to be 4.

Thanks

Oh forgot to add I do 20miles a day tops maybe 8/9k a year so petrol seems best for me

I'd look at a 520i if you don't care about performance and a 530i if you do. Both the same engine, reasonably efficient, the 520i particularly is quite good value as it's the 'worst' one in the range. They don't tend to have much in the way of options but the benefit is that you can get something much newer and lower mileage.

I think the best engine in this car is the 3 litre diesel but probably not at £20k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having previously had a 320i and didn’t mind it. I’ve been back in the market and looking at 5 series as I need a bigger car. Can someone enlighten me on how the 530e works?
the same engine with a battery and does it drive purely on battery til it runs out or piggy backs it all the time?

Also do they all have rear folding seats or is that an extra?

Lastly are they actually any good ?
I'm currently using a 2022 530e.

It has some Poke, Not much, but plenty to spin up the front wheels.

Can switch between JUST battery, eDrive (Hybrid) or Sport.
I've been using the battery mode only really. will flick into sport when i fancy, but its nice not to need to add fuel to this car.
Charging it at work on a normal 13a Plug each day. no big deal.

No idea about the seats, however what i will say is it feels smaller inside vs my 440i.
With the two rear facing seats, my passengers have the same space up front as they did in my 440i GC.. and i have about the same seating position.
The boot is absolutely pitiful vs the 440i GC. Its terrible.

the 530e is NOT a big car inside at all, and the space in that boot makes it very poor... heck my mazda 3 had a MUCH more useable boot.

Soldato
Does the xdrive not respond faster to re-distribute torque - from the front slipping wheels (can you lock it, does it remember if road surface is wet)

Back
Top Bottom