BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Very happy with the CSC7 so far, amazing grip and feedback in the torrential rain earlier. No more having to tip toe the car around like I would have with the MPSS.
I'm running sport contact 5 I think. The run flat version... I think.. I slide too easily.

How much better are the csc7?

Soldato
I'm running sport contact 5 I think. The run flat version... I think.. I slide too easily.

How much better are the csc7?

I'd say if you are going from CSC5 runflats to non RFT's you will notice a very considerable overall improvement in handling, steering and comfort. I went from Bridgestone Turanza RFT's on my M340i Touring to CSC7's and having read lots of people on some owners groups lamenting the vast improvement to the car when doing so, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. However, the difference is apparent almost as soon as you drive away from the tyre fitter. Give it a bit of scrub-in time and I now see what all the fuss was about :cool: .

Decent price too, I got mine fitted at the tail end of October and with a discount code on Black Circles it worked out at £609.84 inc fitting for 4 x 19" CSC7's. Can't really complain at that!!

Soldato
I replaced the X5 with a new family car. Enter the M340D xDrive. I really wanted a touring, but simply couldn't find one with the spec I wanted. The missus didn't want a car without the 360 surround view, so it really limited the options. I'm not sure if there was a supply issue with this, but hardly any cars for sale come with the surround view.

Full spec:

2022 car, 15k miles
Comfort Pack (Electric memory seats, Heated steering wheel, Keyless entry)
Tech Pack (Harman Kardon, Gesture Control, Heads Up)
Visibility Pack (Laser Lights, Auto hi-beam)
Driving Assistant Plus (lane keep & distance control)
Parking Assistant Plus (360 cams)

I'm not a massive fan of the black wheels, or red calipers, but as a daily proposition for her it's a great car, and returns decent MPG.

Out of interest, why did you go for the d over the i? I’m thinking of switching from my F11 530d touring to an M340i or M340d touring and I’m struggling to decide. I do about 18k miles per year including a couple of trips to France and some camping trips, so I’m leaning towards the d a little at the moment.

Soldato
I'd say if you are going from CSC5 runflats to non RFT's you will notice a very considerable overall improvement in handling, steering and comfort. I went from Bridgestone Turanza RFT's on my M340i Touring to CSC7's and having read lots of people on some owners groups lamenting the vast improvement to the car when doing so, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. However, the difference is apparent almost as soon as you drive away from the tyre fitter. Give it a bit of scrub-in time and I now see what all the fuss was about :cool: .

Decent price too, I got mine fitted at the tail end of October and with a discount code on Black Circles it worked out at £609.84 inc fitting for 4 x 19" CSC7's. Can't really complain at that!!
I'd not be able to stretch to all 4 for a while.
Can just about fit two for the rear into next month's budget.

Man of Honour
Out of interest, why did you go for the d over the i? I’m thinking of switching from my F11 530d touring to an M340i or M340d touring and I’m struggling to decide. I do about 18k miles per year including a couple of trips to France and some camping trips, so I’m leaning towards the d a little at the moment.

I went from a 530d to an M340i.

It never fails to do at least 40mpg on any long journey and the engine is fantastic.

However the diesel is even more efficient, so it'll depend on what you want from the car. The M340i is more fun and feels more special, but the diesel is a fantastic engine as well with the benefit of better range on a tank of fuel.

Soldato
It's not a great spec tbh, it's missing absolutely loads.

No comfort seats
No upgraded leather
No 360 cameras
No driving assistant professional (radar cruise with lane keep etc)
No sunroof
No paint

Comfort seats are the non-negotiable for me in a 5 series, they're properly excellent in my m550

That feels like top money for what must be one of the oldest g30s with a sub par spec, I guess you're paying for the mileage.
Morning bud, looked to have comfort, technolog, visibility packs, have a missed something on the leather, paint side? I know it’s Alpine White :(

Man of Honour
Morning bud, looked to have comfort, technolog, visibility packs, have a missed something on the leather, paint side? I know it’s Alpine White :(

The specification is fine, it's very difficult to find something like a 530d with the specification he is speaking about.

Most of them have far less specification than the one you've found. It is unusual to find one as early as that, so it was perhaps dealer launch car, these all had a good specification and I think that car represents a good example of what was considered a good specification at the time.

Obviously it won't compare to an M550i, but it is half the price.

A quick look at the brochure for the 2017-2020 5 series will show you there are dozens and dozens of items of optional equipment available, if was one of the last cars BMW offered before reducing most things to just being in a few options packages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically, because it's not my car, but the wifeys/family car. I'll drive it once or twice a week maybe. And she'll be filling it up. She'll be a much happier camper @ 45+mpg than 25+ mpg.

I checked the lifetime trip computer when I picked the car up and the previous owner was a saint, averaging 51.5 MPG. I can't get anywhere near that but I probably have a lead foot. I guess on a longer run the numbers will ramp up.

Soldato
I went from a 530d to an M340i.

It never fails to do at least 40mpg on any long journey and the engine is fantastic.

However the diesel is even more efficient, so it'll depend on what you want from the car. The M340i is more fun and feels more special, but the diesel is a fantastic engine as well with the benefit of better range on a tank of fuel.
Thanks for the info. My wife has an Audi S1 for a bit of engaging fun, else I’d definitely be looking at the M340i. Will try to test drive them back-to-back to help with the decision rather than basing it off of stats and reviews.

Soldato
The M340i is excellent on fuel it's within 10-15% of the M340d, I could comfortably get 43-45mpg on motorway runs in a M340i some have said 50mpg but I've never managed that I suspect there maybe a reset of the computer going on after the engine has warmed up or they cruise under the speed limit ! With the same kind of driving the M340d will do low 50s the same as my old 535/335d.

I can't quiet remember the long term average I got but the M340i was around 34mpg and the 535/335d was 38mpg

Last edited:
Soldato

To everyone who ditches runflats, what do you do if you get a puncture?

Soldato
The M340i is excellent on fuel it's within 10-15% of the M340d, I could comfortably get 43-45mpg on motorway runs in a M340i some have said 50mpg but I've never managed that I suspect there maybe a reset of the computer going on after the engine has warmed up or they cruise under the speed limit ! With the same kind of driving the M340d will do low 50s the same as my old 535/335d.

I can't quiet remember the long term average I got but the M340i was around 34mpg and the 535/335d was 38mpg
That's interesting. I spoke to a friend who has an m340i prior to purchasing my m340d and he averages 26mpg! I put me right off the petrol version so I didn't even consider it.

Soldato
To everyone who ditches runflats, what do you do if you get a puncture?
I pull over, and cry a little whilst I wait for the RAC.
Or I'd call my wife / inlaws if I'm local. Take the wheel off, pop to my local tyre place, get it fixed/ replaced and then pop it back on and drive home...

What else do you do?

Soldato
I pull over, and cry a little whilst I wait for the RAC.
Or I'd call my wife / inlaws if I'm local. Take the wheel off, pop to my local tyre place, get it fixed/ replaced and then pop it back on and drive home...

What else do you do?

I've had a lot of success - well, twice I think - with those puncture repair kits. Those times were a screw/nail in the tyre. You'll need a jack etc. but it's just another measure to avoid having to wait for the RAC.

Man of Honour
That's interesting. I spoke to a friend who has an m340i prior to purchasing my m340d and he averages 26mpg! I put me right off the petrol version so I didn't even consider it.
The B58 can be extremely frugal on a run but it's still a 6 cyl petrol, if it's only used around town or on short trips then mid 20's is entirely normal.

Man of Honour

My car has averaged 34mpg since I got it.

My 530d averaged 37mpg over the time I had it, though it had the older engine.

Id probably have been quite happy to buy the diesel if one had appeared in the right specification, both engines are absolutely excellent.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's bonkers high for a 3L 6 isn't it. I mostly do short journeys as I live in Central London - my 2019 M2Comp has averaged about 25Mpg over those miles, which is way better than I expected.

Best/worst here over 24k miles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom