BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Realise I'm a little late to the party but just chipping in with my fuel economy on m340i over about 20k miles is 33.7. A good long run is between 40-45mpg.

Associate
I think I ended up with an overall average of around 28.4mpg on my M340i over 24,000 miles.

In constrast the M3 is showing an average of 23 for December over 715 miles, although until the 12th December it was still being run in and the weather has been rubbish so will see what it reports in the coming months!

Man of Honour
Realise I'm a little late to the party but just chipping in with my fuel economy on m340i over about 20k miles is 33.7. A good long run is between 40-45mpg.

Very similar to mine. I've averaged about 35 and unless the traffic or the weather is bad then any Motorway journey will do 45 or so and other long journeys at least 40. It really is incredible - it's about 2mpg worse than my 530d was.

Soldato
What are peoples thoughts on the 8 series? I have had my 2015 F10 530D for over 5 years and it has been great. Probably the last time i posted in this thread was when i got it. The F10 is at 130k and starting to need money spent on it. Rear diff mount and flex disk just cost a fair bit to replace. The BMW sales people have been turning my head when ive been in.

My miles are nearly all motorway. I do around 350 a week. I like to stick cruise control on and waft down the motorway.

I like the look of the 3 door 8 series, either a 840d Xdrive or the M850i. The 840d is a head choice and the M850i a heart choice. The only two things i wish my F10 had are comfort seats and rear folding seats. Just for when i need to transport something too long. I found this a real pain in my F10.

Any horrific stories with the 8 series? Or chocolate engines?

Man of Honour
I think they are excellent cars. I considered one for a bit but the huge cost of the BMW warranty meant I ruled it out.

The engines are the same as you'll find in the rest of the BMW range - there is nothing unique about the engines, gearbox or the electronics in an 8 Series. Which made the idea of paying more than double what I was already paying for a not exactly cheap 5 Series warranty something I wasn't going to do.

If extended warranties are not something you are interested in, then the 8 Series is a great car.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did think about it when i got the 5 series, got a quote but decided to not bother with it. Turned out to be a fine decision or a lucky one.

I would prefer approved used for the first 12 months. I did try an I4 recently but dont really like a smaller car for the motorway journeys. I have a GR Yaris for fun but driving it distance on a motorway its not a nice place to be. I have been burnt (financially) buying the wife a brand new EV so not keen to try another.

Im very much stick it on cruise control and put an audio book on. It may sound strange but i like the feel of a bit of a barge when on the motorway.

How are the new 3 series? is the M340d worth considering? How are things like road/wind noise on a 3 series these days?

Man of Honour
In the end I replaced my 2015 5 series with an M340i. It's a great car and I'm very happy with it. It's absolutely fine for long journeys, which is what most of my mileage is, but it isn't quite as refined as the 5 series was. But it makes up for this in other areas, much of it feels like a step forward from my 5 series and the engine is fantastic. As I discussed above I am finding it's only about 2mpg worse than my 530d was

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on the 8 series?
Love my M850i Coupe, but it was a very expensive decision to buy it. Probably depreciated by nearly £1k a month since I bought it used, plus warranty is expensive as mentioned. I might replace it with a 3 or 5 series later in the year.

Soldato
Love my M850i Coupe, but it was a very expensive decision to buy it. Probably depreciated by nearly £1k a month since I bought it used, plus warranty is expensive as mentioned. I might replace it with a 3 or 5 series later in the year.
Interesting, I looked at one in the show room a couple of years ago i think and it was over £100k new. Looking back just realised that was november 2019!

they have come down a lot in price which is why im considering it. Would be an interesting decision to take the hit on the recent value slump then sell would it not?

If its Blue with silver wheels i could be interested :p

Associate
Interesting, I looked at one in the show room a couple of years ago i think and it was over £100k new. Looking back just realised that was november 2019!

they have come down a lot in price which is why im considering it. Would be an interesting decision to take the hit on the recent value slump then sell would it not?

If its Blue with silver wheels i could be interested :p
Mine is the Sonic Speed Blue with silver wheels- had to be ;)

Mine is a 2019 model, roughly £110k list (Premium, Technology, Visibility packs and carbon roof). Bought for £52k in July 2022. Seemed like a good deal, but would be lucky to get £40k for it now - more likely high 30s. I guess if you are planning to keep it for the long haul, depreciation doesn't matter as much and you're getting quite a lot for your money.

ETA: Just to give you an idea, now paying £134 a month for the BMW comprehensive warranty with roadside assist and £250 excess. No excess was something like £215 a month.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is the colour/wheel combo I am after. The black wheels ruin it IMHO.

I would likely keep for at least 5 years. I bought my F10 at 3 years old and it will be 9 in September.

In terms of the warranty, I am guessing its to cover any big ticket repairs. Was there anything scary that made you opt for it?

Associate
Was there anything scary that made you opt for it?
Nothing specific. The N63 is supposed to be pretty reliable with the latest revision. However the car gets the 8 series premium charged if anything needs doing. It's a hedge to reduce my background anxiety levels.

Any cars in particular you're looking at?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What are peoples thoughts on the 8 series?

I had one for the past year, covering about 12k miles. An 840i Coupe, late 2020 in Tanzanite Blue - lots of spec. I have changed it for a 5 Series mainly for practicality reasons, as well as the values dropping. The BMW dealer I sold it to actually made a loss on it, and WBAC were offering £12k less than they gave me (though their prices have dropped a lot lately for most cars).

It was a great car and never had any issues (aside from horrible squeaking brakes that seem to plague a lot of BMWs), it looked fantastic and drove well, but it's a large car and a cruiser, don't think of it as any sort of sports car. Ride quality is ok, but it's firm enough in comfort mode and sport etc is just pointlessly firm. Thin tyres on 20's don't help here. In terms of comfort and refinement, my previous 7 Series was much better.

The first thing to note is that the Coupe looks better (to my eye) but is very much a 2+2 at best. You can cram 4 adults into it but you won't be able to drive far. I saw it as a 3 seater, as the passengers on the passenger side can squash up a bit, but there's no head room in the back at all.

Another unusual thing is the width, it's one of the widest cars you'll find on the road and with the big doors, it can make parking a bit troublesome. The Gran Coupe has smaller doors but is still very wide.

The LCI model (2022) has minimal changes. The front grille lights up and has twin slats, and the main interior screen is larger, but does look a bit awkward. There are a couple of new wheel designs too, but that's it.

In terms of things going wrong, it's mechanically very similar to something like an M340i, less so in fact as it has no xDrive system to go wrong. I would imagine a lot of the electrical systems are the same. Of course this can depend on spec, if you have Laserlights for example, replacing one of those would no doubt be a huge expense. Or if the Driving Assistant system packed up. The warranty is stupidly expensive and formed part of the reason I changed it too, you're probably better off just risking it, but that's a personal decision - it's gambling vs insurance, effectively.

Coming onto the spec, mine had a lot, Laserlights, B&W Audio, Driving Assistant Pro. I'd say they are all worth it but not a must have by any means. The standard lights are still adaptive and the Lasers are perhaps 10% brighter at a push. The B&W is better than the standard HK but it depends how fussy you are about audio. The ventilated seats are meh, they are not cooled (like a Range Rover), but do keep your back a bit fresher when it's warm. If you're often on the motorway as mentioned, Driving Assistant Pro is brilliant, but it's very dodgy on winding country roads and you'll have to carefully monitor it. HUD is standard.

All in all I would definitely recommend it, it's one of the nicest looking cars you'll come across and people do tend to show an interest in it too.

Soldato
340i - Potential cost/tax rises of diesel and maintenance would put me off the i6 diesels, even for a few mpg more on motorways,
you'd loose the lovely tonality of the i6 petrol as well, pushing it to near rev-limit,
mild hybrid and x-drive on latest 340i/d both seem too to add some reliability and efficiency/weight issues for long term ownership, though - i6 rip.

Man of Honour
Service done today and MOT passed.....after ANOTHER new wheel this time on the 530D which was cracked. Yea, I could have go it repaired (it is in the boot so I can get it refereed and fixed) but I don't have the time right now. Their tyre price (I replaced that too as it was damaged) started at £509.....which changed to £360 when I shouted a bit. £1800 all in....nice (NOT).

Stealers.

Did embarrass myself a touch collecting it this morning. Wheel looked different shades (due to shadows) but when we moved it was fine. I didn't get shouty thankfully and said sorry to the smiley girl on service reception.

Bah humbug.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, dealers seem to have extortionate prices for tyres.

Clean-Shot-2024-01-04-at-19-07-47-2x.png

Back
Top Bottom