Botched execution in the US

Soldato
This is starting to look more and more like incompetence now that facts are coming out. It may well change the entire debate in the US because the very nature of how it was performed could well be unconstitutional. I can see the doctor and a few others losing their job at the very least most likely on charges.

Caporegime
Sad thing is the lawyers for both of the accused tried to gain information about the drugs to be used, the supplier etc... prior to the execution. Even the supplier's name is protected and kept secret under state law. Its pretty dubious to carry out an experimental, untested execution on a human regardless of the suspects being complete scumbags.

In fact for people laughing and saying good riddance etc.. the result of this is that the one who raped and killed a baby has now had his execution delayed.

Soldato
This is starting to look more and more like incompetence now that facts are coming out. It may well change the entire debate in the US because the very nature of how it was performed could well be unconstitutional. I can see the doctor and a few others losing their job at the very least most likely on charges.

Do you have more information? Would be interested in reading this.

Sad thing is the lawyers for both of the accused tried to gain information about the drugs to be used, the supplier etc... prior to the execution. Even the supplier's name is protected and kept secret under state law. Its pretty dubious to carry out an experimental, untested execution on a human regardless of the suspects being complete scumbags.

In fact for people laughing and saying good riddance etc.. the result of this is that the one who raped and killed a baby has now had his execution delayed.

I read somewhere, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that their executions were initially stayed after the request for that information because it was determined they had a right to know, but the governor of Oklahoma scheduled the executions anyway. Can anyone confirm that?

It's not like states don't have secondary and tertiary execution methods available to them, so if they must go ahead and carry out executions in this period of poor availability of suitable drugs, why are they not using something tried and tested?

I'm really hoping that this gets those states still carrying out executions to think again. Given that six have abolished capital punishment since 2007, maybe there is a good chance of that happening, although I appreciate for certain states (Texas, Florida) it may take a lot more.

Caporegime
I read somewhere, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that their executions were initially stayed after the request for that information because it was determined they had a right to know, but the governor of Oklahoma scheduled the executions anyway. Can anyone confirm that?

I believe a stay of execution was granted by the state supreme court and then the Govenor decided to press ahead anyway and the state supreme court then lifted the stay.

Soldato
Do you have more information? Would be interested in reading this.

Well this has come out: http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...yton-lockett-tasered-before-botched-execution there is a fair bit of it in there.

Add into that the stuff we already know ie they didn't use an appropriate amount of sedation and/or a decent combination in the first place and it appears they basically neither sedated or paralysed him but pumped his tissue full of KCl and let it leech into his blood stream where it slowly elevated his serum potassium level giving him a heart attack.

Caporegime

this bit highlights how messed up our values are

The timeline published by Oklahoma details a chaotic scene in the death chamber before and during the failed execution, as staff struggle to place an intravenous line into Lockett, report that he was unconscious, but then did not spot that the IV connection had failed because they had covered Lockett groin with a sheet, to prevent that area of his body from being seen by witnesses.

The document is notable as much for what it leaves out as for what it reveals: there is no mention of the three minutes in which witnesses saw Lockett thrashing violently on the gurney and attempting to speak, despite having been declared unconscious. Neither does it say anything about what happened in the ten minutes between the procedure being called off and the moment Lockett died.

... its seemingly completely normal to go watch someone die but they must make sure to cover up his penis as seeing someone nude is something people shouldn't be subjected to. Going to watch someone deliberately being killed = OK, seeing someone nude = bad.

I guess its why the likes of GTA San Andreas can depict violence on a huge scale, allow participants to conduct killing sprees etc.. yet when its discovered that there is a hack to allow gamers to watch a silly 'sex scene' the publishers have to withdraw copies of the game, issue apologies etc...

Soldato
Well this has come out: http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...yton-lockett-tasered-before-botched-execution there is a fair bit of it in there.

Add into that the stuff we already know ie they didn't use an appropriate amount of sedation and/or a decent combination in the first place and it appears they basically neither sedated or paralysed him but pumped his tissue full of KCl and let it leech into his blood stream where it slowly elevated his serum potassium level giving him a heart attack.

Thanks for the link. That's pretty bad indeed. :o

Soldato

That's pretty shocking incompetence.

The expert talking about the possibility of keeping him alive by applying tourniquets was obviously talking prior to knowing that the drug was administered in a vein in the groin. Presumably, in that case, there was no way to save him.

Soldato
He killed someone and apparently laughed as he did so. If you don't want pain and suffering then don't do the crime. Why should society pay to keep this scum in prison, his choice to cross the line, now he won't be doing it again and they don't have the cost of incarcerating someone for life.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dg...n-lockett-murdered-this-is-why-he-had-to-die/

That's one horribly-written article by what appears to be a horrible person.

How tough was Clayton Lockett? He wasn’t so tough after all. And one day perhaps his defenders will meet their own Clayton Lockett and get their own little education in social justice.

So because we think a process is barbaric and that even the worst of our criminals do not deserve to suffer the way that he did, we deserve to suffer in the same way as his victim? :confused:

Nobody here, I'm sure, thinks that Lockett is anything less than utterly abhorrent and I'm quite sure any defenders are not defending what he did, but inflicting pain and suffering does not give us as a society an excuse to do the same. I notice that again the cost aspect is brought up, so I'll repeat again - it costs more to sentence someone to death and execute them than it does to lock them up forever. But I guess we can all just ignore that because revenge makes it okay. ;)

Associate
Its probably a narrow view, but I could not care a less how evil people like that get killed. Remove them from existence the cheapest and quickest way. Life in prison is far far far too good for a baby raping murderer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its probably a narrow view, but I could not care a less how evil people like that get killed. Remove them from existence the cheapest and quickest way. Life in prison is far far far too good for baby raping murderer.

Then you should be complaining about this then because this was hardly the cheapest or the quickest way and this has more than likely set back the cause of capital punishment back than anything for quite some time.

It is ironic that on one hand we had capital punishment in Iran in the news the other week demonstrating lenience and then capital punishment in the US demonstrating incompetence and torture. I would imagine the US State Dept is absolutely fuming because the fools that set this up have just paint the USA in a very poor light and I would not be shocked if people start picking up on this comparison soon to use it as a rod to beat them with.

Associate
Yer sure it wasnt efficient and that is quite ironic about the comparison between Iran and US yer.

The cause for capital punishment being pushed back where? In the UK or US? We all know that capital punishment wont be coming back in the UK and the cause for capital punishment in the US concerns me not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom