Bought a GTR

Associate
I think that is really the american market on their big open roads everything feels slow, drive it round some nice country A roads in the UK and the grip you get is insane, the cornering and braking g-force is as fun as the acceleration.

It is a great car for people without high driving ability who need something that feels very exciting and wild under them that will kick your ass if you make a tiny mistake.

You are absolutely right of course. It is a shame that the focus on the GTR seems to be upon its impressive drivetrain whereas the chassis is equally impressive.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the car and driving it as was intended. Have you though of doing any trackdays to explore its limits?

Your car looks great. The colours of the wheel, brake calliper and body really compliment each other. Very jealous :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You are absolutely right of course. It is a shame that the focus on the GTR seems to be upon its impressive drivetrain whereas the chassis equally impressive.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the car and driving it as was intended. Have you though of doing any trackdays to explore its limits?

Your car looks great. The colours of the wheel, brake calliper and body really compliment each other. Very jealous :p

Thanks, I would love to do some track driving, I think I would like to do it in an instructors car first though to get used to driving on a track with other cars about before worrying about doing it in my own car.

Just a question of finding the time and place!

Soldato
OP
Update!

For those that didn't go to the RR day here are the details:

I decided to send my car to SVM (http://severnvalleymotorsport.co.uk/) for the following:

SVM 80mm intakes (allows greater MAF resolution for tuning)
SVM 1050cc injectors (stock are 570cc and max out at around 580bhp)
SVM 102mm full de-cat exhaust system (stock is very restrictive and has 4 cats)
SVM Gearbox cir-clips upgrades (means I can launch is as much as I like without the stock cir clips slipping off the shafts and the gears falling off in the box!)
Cobb Access Port w/ TCM - Tuned on Shell V-Power 99RON by Ben Linney at GTC (Ben is the Jedi Master of GTR tuning)

Car being loaded up
wp20121119002.jpg

Arrived at SVM 210 miles later
jamespike004.jpg

Floor panels removed
jamespikegtr003.jpg

Movember mechanic getting ready to drop the gearbox!
jamespikegtr006.jpg

Gearbox/rear diff assembly down
jamespikegtr009.jpg

Stock cir clip
jamespikegtr014.jpg

SVM cir clip
jamespikegtr021.jpg

stock cir clips
jamespikegtr024.jpg

SVM cir clips
jamespikegtr015.jpg

GTC Cast Heat wrapped turbo downpipes
imgp7812.jpg

Full exhaust system with V-Band Couplings! (shame to cover it up with all the under panels!)
SvmExhaustSytem2014.jpg

Large Intake tubes with air filters inside front bumper
goodbyejamepikegtr003.jpg

Final Result at the OCUK Rolling Road day! (Thanks Kosta, Ace Modder and tweedbean for pictures and video.)
543095_10151135715893372_1491607585_n.jpg

ar12gtr.jpg

Hope to have another video from Kosta when he is finished with it.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
It's cool they sent you photos of the work being done :)

Love the car! I think the colour is perfect.

Thanks! I love the colour also, in the sunlight it is really amazing.

SVM are awesome, one of the best "tuners" about.

They sent me so many pictures I just tried to pick out some key ones for the thread.

Their customer service manager also emailed, text or called me with updates every day letting me know what they were working on and how everything was going.
Including sending the pictures as they went along. Couldn't have asked for a better service.

Soldato
I voted to go and hope I can, won't really know until we get closer to the date.

GTR's don't appeal visually or from a driving perspective?

Speaking from the comfort of my armchair as I haven't driven one, it's hard for me to get excited about the overall package. Yeah the numbers look fantastic and it's a very very capable car but even the average driver can drive these very very fast. And from what owners have said, they are just too fast for the road. Something less capable that you can push harder is more my idea of fun :)

But please, I challenge you to prove me wrong :p

The fastest thing I've been in is a 600bhp Evo VII so I'd be very interested in experiencing this! :)

Soldato
OP
Speaking from the comfort of my armchair as I haven't driven one, it's hard for me to get excited about the overall package. Yeah the numbers look fantastic and it's a very very capable car but even the average driver can drive these very very fast. And from what owners have said, they are just too fast for the road. Something less capable that you can push harder is more my idea of fun :)

But please, I challenge you to prove me wrong :p

The fastest thing I've been in is a 600bhp Evo VII so I'd be very interested in experiencing this! :)

One of the reasons (it is also the ultimate nerd car with the multifunction display) why I bought it, the computer system is so damn good, doesn't matter if the roads of full of water or bone dry you can just floor it, wait a bit and you are off!
I am sure also that with all the assists turned off it would take a lot of skill to drive it fast around a track if you so wish.
Corner to corner though, the road just vanishes behind you, its not a car, its a teleportation device :D

Would be happy to give you a passenger ride!

Soldato
One of the reasons (it is also the ultimate nerd car with the multifunction display) why I bought it, the computer system is so damn good, doesn't matter if the roads of full of water or bone dry you can just floor it, wait a bit and you are off!
I am sure also that with all the assists turned off it would take a lot of skill to drive it fast around a track if you so wish.
Corner to corner though, the road just vanishes behind you, its not a car, its a teleportation device :D

Would be happy to give you a passenger ride!

Soldato
OP
Awesome, you can tell when people have a passion for what they do.

Shame you're so far North, if you're ever in the South East gimme a shout would love to take some photos :)

Norwich isn't really North :( but it might as well be, without any motorways it takes just as long to get anywhere.

I always get the train to London.

Come watch the football in Norwich some time!

Caporegime
Norwich isn't really North :( but it might as well be, without any motorways it takes just as long to get anywhere.

I always get the train to London.

Come watch the football in Norwich some time!

Ah it's not too bad, only 114 miles.
Might have to arrange that when the weather brightens up :)

OcUK Staff
:eek:

Drivetrain losses look a teeny bit high though:p

Its a MAHAA dyno, the most accurate for measuring engine flywheel power as it does not guess the engine power with a formulation it actually uses the coast down to accurately give flywheel power.

Many stock newish well maintained cars have run and made within 1BHP of their claimed power several times, its accuracy is pretty spot on.

As such the MAHAA dyno has no interest in wheel figures, if you want accurate wheel figures you need a Dynojet or Mustang dyno, but they guess the flywheel figure with a fudge factor!

Mahaa all the way! :)

Back
Top Bottom