Break checked and crashed

Soldato
What should a professional driver do in this situation? Slow down to let him in? I think the worst bit about the car driver is they've made no intention whether they want to speed up past the lorry or tuck in behind them. It's actually almost looks the case that the car didn't see/realise the road was closed until it was too late.

Yes, the car driver has made some severe errors of judgement in how and when he overtakes, how he has not really gone fast enough to complete the manoeuvre in the space he has, and how he has misjudged closing speeds. A professional (or merely competent driver) should see that, and for the sake of lifting off the accelerator for a few seconds, let the person in for the greater good of preventing someone else having an accident (which for all you know you might get caught up in).

If I see another driver getting themselves into trouble, I'm not going to be an ******* and block them out when I can safely give them a way out of the bad situation they've got themselves into. We've all made mistakes on the roads, there's no need to make those mistakes worse when you can help someone. When it's obvious you're both going to end up at the same place at the same time and you can prevent that from happening, then it's important to do so for everyone's sake.

Caporegime
What should a professional driver do in this situation? Slow down to let him in? I think the worst bit about the car driver is they've made no intention whether they want to speed up past the lorry or tuck in behind them. It's actually almost looks the case that the car didn't see/realise the road was closed until it was too late.
As a professional, in charge of a ~44t killing machine, you allow for the un-professionalism of the ameatuer driver, it's that simple.
Not my words but advice given years back which I can't argue against.

Associate
OP
Thank you for all your replies, appreciate your comments and opinions. I must admit the footage doesnt show the whole fact and true story or even the speed (60 miles as per that sector of highway)
There were other factors in that moment that made me react the way I reacted but I accept being at fault here.

Hopefully one day I will be a better driver like most users here.

Soldato
Hat off to you for posting again, usually people (forum regulars) run away after ridicule. You could do an advanced drivers course and discuss the video with the instructor.

Associate
OP
So we can understand, did you try to overtake the car? Because I'm struggling to understand any of this having watched the video numerous times.
That is correct. I was worried that he would brake check me again. I tried to over take him but he sped up and was on my left.
In the mean while the white golf (that the audi cut off by going to lane 1) was now behind me and trying to overtake me on my right side (2nd lane). I guess he wanted to catch up and get revenge from the audi driver and didnt see that he was exiting. A mix of **** ups

I could have used the brakes? Of course. In my rear mirror I had the Golf and a second later I had him on my right side. So yeah, I preferred to hit the barrier instead of crashing other cars and perhaps be in a even more dangerous situation.

As I said, the dash cam doesnt show all this of course and I should have explained properly from the very beginning, also the wide angle of the dashcam shows that I was very close to the car, I wasnt. Speed was 60 m/h as per that M1 sector.

Thank you for your question by the way, it encouraged me to reply to my own post after being trolled :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That is correct. I was worried that he would brake check me again. I tried to over take him but he sped up and was on my left.
In the mean while the white golf (that the audi cut off by going to lane 1) was now behind me and trying to overtake me on my right side (2nd lane). I guess he wanted to catch up and get revenge from the audi driver and didnt see that he was exiting. A mix of **** ups

I could have use the brakes. Of course. In my rear mirror I had the Golf and a second later I had him on my right side. So yeah, I preferred to hit the barrier instead of crashing other cars and perhaps be in a even more dangerous situation.

As I said, the dash cam doesnt show all this of course and I should have explained properly from the very beginning, also the wide angle of the dashcam shows that I was very close to the car, I wasnt. Speed was 60 m/h as per that M1 sector.

Thank you for your question by the way, it encouraged me to reply to my own post after being trolled :)

I still don't understand why you ended up on the slip road, or why you didn't just continue on the slip road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom