Bruce Lee vs Modern Martial Arts

Soldato
PikeyPriest said:
Hell even 2 big rugby forwards (if they are fairly strong) would probably beat black belts in any discipline, even if they had no martial arts training.

A skilled fighter would hand those rugby players ****es to them mate.

Associate
basically the more tense your muscles are the slower they move, that why lee was so good. In some of his tv episodes and in his films he had to slow down his kicks and punches so that they would look real on screen. There is a video on here that I think has been posted and it shows the power of his kicks. The guy absolutely flies and thats with a pad to soften the blow.

The basic premise of punching is all speed until you make contact and then you punch through the opponant using hips etc.

Soldato
LORD APOCALYPSE said:
UFC rules (generally)

Thou shalt not:

eye jab
open hand strike

pressure points
nerve clusters
finger locks
bite
spit
talk to them (major biggy this one)
scratch

Oh and as for the muscles debate...you do tradtional martial arts properly, you don't need musclepower. ;)
Kinda sucks the fun out of it tbh.

While you don't need to be Arnie sized to be a decent MA, being built like Bill Gates dosen't help.

Man of Honour
chrisd said:
Mas Oyama > Bruce Lee.

Hmm, I've never seen Mass Oyama fight but from reading about his exploits he was pretty effective. If memory serves he used to tour America offering to beat anyone within 2 minutes or he would give them $100(maybe the figure is wrong but it was a lot of money for the time) and retired undefeated including against boxers and pro-wrestlers. There is also a story of how he killed a bull with his bare hands and after the 'fight' the butcher proclaimed the meat unfit for human consumption, matadors be damned ;)

For whatever it is worth I think that Bruce Lee would have stood a very good chance in his own weight class at MMA and with some of the more modern training methods and maybe more mixing of disciplines could potentially have been even more effective.

Mass Oyama also would have been a very good competitor if even half the tales about him are true but from what I understand he and Bruce Lee would have been in quite different due to size differences so not exactly a fair fight and to proclaim one better than the other misses that both were great fighters in their own chosen disciplines.

Associate
I watched early UFC and Jeet Kun do didn't really do well.
He was a legend but stories of his fight were not really with top caliber opponents.
2 inch punch on stationary opponents make little sense.

Soldato
How any one thinks Bruce Lee could beat a modern MMA fighter at the top of their game is beyond me. Likewise I doubt Pele or George Best would fair well in the Premiership. What you can say is that for his time he was supremely talented and that with his potential and modern training he would most likely be holding a belt. But you can't compare the best from the past to the present without considering the advantages modern training provides.

/edit wow just seen the date thread necro or what.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Even 7 years on and being in love with Bruce Lee he wouldn't get anywhere in MMA.
To be fair he did start Jeet Kune Do which was taking the best from all martial arts because he realised no one fighting art was good enough.
I agree with Xordium that the likes of Pele & Best wouldn't do very well in the Premier and Stanley Matthews would have just been hard tackled into submission.
I was only saying yesterday about how todays lady tennis players would fair against 70s/80s male tennis players.

Soldato
I'd still opt for Bruce lee over modern day fighters. One point which is touched upon by a few folk is 'steroid meathead' of modern mma fighters. Lee would have a more natural disciplined training regime while modern fighters have an endless list of 'supplements' which they take as part of their training. Would that give them an unfair advantage? Perhaps.

Same would apply to the comparison of pele and best to modern footballers. Completely different training methods then to now. An advantage that pele and best would have though is when they're challenged they won't dive around like a bunch of fairies that modern day footballers do :p

Permabanned
A well rounded MMA fighter at the top of his game would hand Lee's ass to him on a silver platter yes.

But no doubt some traditionalists will state that Lee was a god, and founded Jeet Kune Do, and won loads of Martial Arts Contests by saying 'boo' or some nonsense.

MMA fighters don't fight like martial artists, they brawl. 1 on 1 with Bruce Lee without pinning him to the ground with a street technique and they would lose.

Permabanned
Wasn't Van Damme a real world champion before going into films? Can remember watching a documentary about him and he seemed a genuine hard nut.

Steven Seagal would easily break him.

In fact, Steven Seagal would beat any of those UFC fairies, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, you name 'em.

Srsly.

Back
Top Bottom