Bruce Lee vs Modern Martial Arts

Caporegime
bruce lee wouldn't enter such competitons.

did he ever do anything apart from demonstrations? after the early years

BTW on steven segal LOL
The story goes like this: while on the set of Out for Justice, Seagal happened to mention that, as a result of his Aikido training and extensive blues guitar playing, his Senseiness was impervious to chokes. LeBell, who at 58, happened to be a stunt coordinator on set at the time, opted to take Seagal up on his boisterous claim. Seagal accepted, was choked out, and proceeded to pee and/or poop his pants. Due to an alleged gag order placed on everyone from LeBell to the cast and crew who happened to witness the event, no one has come forth in the time since to confirm or deny this story. John Leguizamo brought it up once, and was promptly beaten to a pulp.

Well let today, March 12th, forever be known as a triumph for the human race, as LeBell has finally broken his silence. And according to him, even if Seagal did in fact poop himself, it’s nothing to be ashamed of.
Rest of the story at : http://www.cagepotato.com/quote-of-the-day-judo-gene-lebell-talks-the-steven-seagal-incident/

BTW mike tyson would probably destroy any martial artist in a cage fight assuming he was still near his peak

Last edited:
Caporegime
that's quite terrifying, you'd think that would put incredible strain on his muscles/bones/tendons and body in general.

I bet he could have waked up to you in the street started talking to you and using hand gestures like a lot of people do and then you would wake up in hospital without even knowing how you got there.

I bet it would have been interesting to see how his body would have coped as he aged
0:24 lol are some frames missing there or is he just that fast?
old camera but that looks pretty damn fast maybe even faster than his punch?

Last edited:
Caporegime
ok, I just watched some MMA "highlights" by video google searching for chuck liddel.

Sure, they look violent, but they don't look technically very complex. When I think of the enormous array of things a fighter can do, most of those fighters simply concentrate on being very very strong and tough, and doing lots of punches / kicks / put downs / grappling. Almost like me and my brother fight when we fight craply.

There doesn't seem to be ten tons of very technical fighting, enormous use of footwork etc... almost like some kind of insects fighting. One of them simply out damages and outlasts the other.

I'd imagined top level fighting to be more technical... this looks like two armies guys kickboxing each other. Good for 1vs1 I guess...

My thoughts exactly, it looks every scrappy. Like most street fights you see on the weekend after a bender.

Except these men are wearing speedos instead.

Soldato
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0xQjAW6Z-o

Yeah just brawling, no technique at all displayed there.

I watched that and few others and I would describe it as just brawling.

He's fast and he's good at dodging strikes but dodging a strike is not a technique. The only techniques I would dare say he did was smacking the guy with his knee's when he was punching him close up and the leg attacks, but that's really no different to two guys fighting in a street. :/

Not saying this is a bad thing or anything. o.O

that's quite terrifying, you'd think that would put incredible strain on his muscles/bones/tendons and body in general.

Well lots of practice helps with that.

Soldato
Anderson Silva having no technique sweet jesus he's one of the most well rounded and talented strikers I have ever seen and his grappling is pretty good too. Just it's rare anyone gets to that point.

Man of Honour
people seem to be thinking bruce lee was some sort of superman - he wasn't invincible you know.

And as much as I regret saying this about one of my heroes I don't think he ever took part in a proper competition fight.
There was talk about him taking somebody down within 1 minute at a demo to prove the point of Jeet kune Do and other stories seem to be myth but most of his action was just doing demonstrations.
He was bloody awesome though.

FAO ShaolinDreams :
I did five years of Uechi Ryu which to be honest consisted of mindless body pounding and was totally useless in Kumite because we let the attacker come in close, let them get the first strike in before we then counter attacked.
This obviously meant they always got the point before us :D

Caporegime
bruce lee would get pounded

in his own weight class probably do decent but against some 20 stone monster have a word with yourself.

there is fighting then there is sport fighting

they differ a lot.

imagine someone with real hunger like tyson or a person who loves fighting is actually very good at it smashing bruce. he was like 10 stone hes be in serious trouble. doesn't matter how great you are you get hit with a sledge hammer from someone whos twenty stone unless you similar build and perfectly fit you out !

i dont care how fast he was fast kick to whatever some big bear bloke would just grab him its over. that simple. he was just great at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom