BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

My Aquiss migration completed over the hols, knocked on average about 25ms (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less) off my MW2 pings, and for nearly £50 a month less than I was paying for Zen. Zero issues apart from the fact the change over happened at 2am just as I was getting into bed, and I had to get up again and swap the credentials over in my router when it was freezing cold. :p

I was surprised just how much of a difference it made, couldn't be happier.

Pleased to hear it! I’ll be switching to them in a few months. Can’t decide on whether to stay with 500 or go 900 though.

I'm on pins to finally get FTTP and wave VM goodbye. Openreach now say 'Great news! We're building in your exchange right now...', and the BT pole next to our garden (literally almost touching my fence) has had what seems to be a CBT on it for a couple of months now. Should I hold my breath? There is FTTP two streets away from us, but it's been there a while now. I'm itching to sign up with Aquiss.

I'm kind of amazed you dropped a ping by 25ms and saved £50 - what services were you taking with Zen before?
I was on their full fibre 900 and I’ve moved to the same with Aquiss. I had Zen as soon as they offered 900 so I was on the £70 a month package, and I’m on the 6 month intro offer with Aquiss so it’ll be a little closer after that, still cheaper though.

I know, I was amazed too. It wasn’t just the pings, it hardly fluctuates either. They’ve done some cracking work on their network.

In fairness I think Zen have just ballsed theirs up to a high level. Maybe they are doing work that we can't see but you'd think they would be acting on it like it's a priority.

My Aquiss migration completed over the hols, knocked on average about 25ms (sometimes more, sometimes a bit less) off my MW2 pings, and for nearly £50 a month less than I was paying for Zen. Zero issues apart from the fact the change over happened at 2am just as I was getting into bed, and I had to get up again and swap the credentials over in my router when it was freezing cold. :p

I was surprised just how much of a difference it made, couldn't be happier.
You mean you didn’t do it with your phone from bed? Thought we were tech nerds lol

In fairness I think Zen have just ballsed theirs up to a high level. Maybe they are doing work that we can't see but you'd think they would be acting on it like it's a priority.
It’s been reported since before July time, shows how much they value their customers now. They told someone that 70ms ping in the UK is perfectly fine and nothing to worry about.

It’s been reported since before July time, shows how much they value their customers now. They told someone that 70ms ping in the UK is perfectly fine and nothing to worry about.

Hahaha oh wait you are serious. I wouldn't expect 70ms ping on 4G these days let alone fixed.

Fibre just went up the pole for my house. Hope I can order fttp soon :D
After failed installation before xmas, went live with it between xmas and new year. All good on the aquiss gb. Although i was surprised at how little my pings changed, pinging 1.1.1.1 is still around 14ms which is what it was like on fttc. Still no complains just surprised.
My edge router X cant keep up though with the full line.
14164477716.png

Hahaha oh wait you are serious. I wouldn't expect 70ms ping on 4G these days let alone fixed.
Yup, it was on TBB forums. When I got put on their backhaul, my ping went from 6-8ms to 25ms. I pointed this out to them, and they said it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. They were unhelpful and eventually stopped responding to emails.

If you had a relatively decent provider before, and a decent FTTC line, you're not going to see a big difference.
I can basically see the exchange at the end of the street and generally had fastpath on my line so no interleaving so I think it was a best case scenario really. If my ip geo locates in london does that mean likely that all my traffic is travelling from up north down to london and out? Speed test servers seem to very much choose london servers now.

Pretty much every ISP brings all their traffic back to London, there's really no point doing anything else except maybe if you're in Scotland. Anything that you're accessing on the wider Internet is going to be through peering links in London anyway, so the only benefit of your ISP having presence in say Manchester is if you want to do P2P stuff with other users who are on ISPs that also peer in Manchester.

Pretty much every ISP brings all their traffic back to London, there's really no point doing anything else except maybe if you're in Scotland. Anything that you're accessing on the wider Internet is going to be through peering links in London anyway, so the only benefit of your ISP having presence in say Manchester is if you want to do P2P stuff with other users who are on ISPs that also peer in Manchester.
Cool thanks for the explanation.

Just to add some personal experience from zen, I’m on their back haul and haven’t had any issues myself, still seeing around 9-10ms pings consistently.

However the fact remains that people have had issues, and if I had said issues I too, will be migrating, plus the way people have been treated, having to go round the houses to get out back on the original back haul was bad.

Just to add some personal experience from zen, I’m on their back haul and haven’t had any issues myself, still seeing around 9-10ms pings consistently.

However the fact remains that people have had issues, and if I had said issues I too, will be migrating, plus the way people have been treated, having to go round the houses to get out back on the original back haul was bad.
If you go to your Zen account, and go to orders (I think it's orders), you'll see a completed GEA order if you've been moved over to the new backhaul. It isn't quite as simple as that either though as some of the first hops are worse than others, so it's double jeopardy if you luck out or not. CS won't help you with it at all... how the mighty have fallen.

Back
Top Bottom