BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Zen flat out refused to help me or put me on the original backhaul, until I quoted their own Tc&Cs to them. They then put an order through to go back onto BTW backhaul, that never happened and it turned into a right mess. I managed to get out of my contract in the end.

I'm not too fussed if they aren't, as we have MS3 (altnet fibre) laying right now in my area, plus we have VM Gig1 which I'm on currently. But I am curious whether Openreach are suddenly going to deploy all over town their own FTTP or not next year potentially.

So this local altnet MS3 Networks took a tad longer than I thought, by which time I re-contracted to VM for 18 months (March 2024) now. But they went live before xmas and now have some pretty good deals on.

It seems MS3 act as a wholesaler, so have a bunch of fairly small ISPs offering their services. The best offer I've found is on LinkBroadbands - 900Mb up/down symmetrical for £39.99pm, first 6 months free on a 12 month contract. So I'd only pay the last 6 months of this year over the contract period, seems dirt cheap?!

Am I stupid for still wanting to order this altnet fibre service, so I'd have 2x 1Gb lines? I mean VM aren't bad in my area, but I'm such a nerd I want true symmetrical fibre to my home. :cry:

Last edited:
It's your money, seems like a waste to me though. What are you going to do with it after you've run a speed test?

It might be worth approaching MS3 and seeing if they will physically install the service so it's ready if/when you join an ISP, I'm not sure I'd be starting a contract if I had 14 months left on an existing one.

It's your money, seems like a waste to me though. What are you going to do with it after you've run a speed test?

It might be worth approaching MS3 and seeing if they will physically install the service so it's ready if/when you join an ISP, I'm not sure I'd be starting a contract if I had 14 months left on an existing one.

I mean I'd probably swap my home's network over to the MS3 line. Making the VM one redundant, effectively paying to use just the TV service lol.

Yeah I know it's a waste. Be nice to have them lower pings and slightly more responsive internet. Something about having true fibre run to the home, just feels good.

I'll probably wait until next year for VM to expire, keep my sensible hat on! :(

Openreach are already following in the footsteps of MS3 and laying FTTP in my area looking at Bidb.uk, seen the vans around a lot too and replacing some bad poles... So next year it seems I'll have 3+ networks for 1Gb fibre, what a world we live in.

Last edited:
Ah. April 2021 to December 2026.

Pretty broad heh

I was signed up to get updates from Openreach. Haven't heard anything.

Went on plusnet to get a copy of a utility bill for something unrelated and noticed I was out of contract paying a high price for a 60mb line (£43). Clicked on their Offers so I could get another 12 month deal and saw, lo, 900mb full fibre.

Confirmed on Openreach website. Ordered, engineer coming tomorrow.

Happy New Year tbqfh

Last edited:
The roof has came in on my mum's bungalow due to a burst water pipe, everything in there is ******. :(

Do PlusNet do temporary relocations? She's moving 20-30 foot away, but I the new place doesn't have internet. I guess it would have to be a PlusNet house move, followed by another house move when the original bungalow is refurbished?

Failing that, I think I'll be able to run a cable between the places as they are adjacent.

The roof has came in on my mum's bungalow due to a burst water pipe, everything in there is ******. :(

Do PlusNet do temporary relocations? She's moving 20-30 foot away, but I the new place doesn't have internet. I guess it would have to be a PlusNet house move, followed by another house move when the original bungalow is refurbished?

Failing that, I think I'll be able to run a cable between the places as they are adjacent.
I can't answer your question, Chris, but I'm sorry to hear about your mum's bungalow. I hope she was insured, and gets it sorted soon. Here if you need anything (somehow).

Frustratingly not insured, it was on her list to do apparently. Thanks - it's an awful situation, she's been staying here for some time and we think the place has had several inches of water in it for at least a week. Clothes, furniture, appliances etc.

Frustratingly not insured, it was on her list to do apparently. Thanks - it's an awful situation, she's been staying here for some time and we think the place has had several inches of water in it for at least a week. Clothes, furniture, appliances etc.
God, you must be up the wall. I hope you/she manage to salvage the place as best you can, and that it's not as bad as initially feared.

Zen seem to have changed my Direct Debit date with no warning from December onwards, that's just annoying more than anything else. Speeds still seem inconsistent now as I seem to need to kill the PPP session several times to get it back to full speed. I am tempted to buy the rest of the contract out and move over to Aquiss later this year.

Last edited:
So I checked my order history and I see this:

"FTTC Network Migration," I did not order anything, so is this a case of Zen putting me on their backhaul do you think?

100%. I cannot believe how poorly Zen are handling this - first of all to build a network that simply doesn't work properly, and then to lie to people when they raise issues. They even went as far as putting out press releases about how they'd solved the issues.

Last edited:
100%. I cannot believe how poorly Zen are handling this - first of all to build a network that simply doesn't work properly, and then to lie to people when they raise issues. They even went as far as putting out press releases about how they'd solved the issues.
What the?! I have a FTTP (900mb) order with them that is due on 20th Jan. I called 3 times to speak to 3 different people so I got the correct information I specifically asked about which backhaul I am on and they confidently said (after checking their system) that it's all with BT and they have no ownership of any of the line for my property. Now this has annoyed me as I don't want any issues like people have been mentioning.

I was thinking about cancelling and going with Aquiss? but they said they would have to cancel the engineer and rebook it so it would be 5-6 weeks.

Would it be possible to be cheeky and let BT complete the upgrade to my property, then cancel & switch to Aquiss (takes 2 weeks) or does it not work that way?

Last edited:
You can absolutely do that, get FTTP installed, have a PON light on your ONT and then if Zen can't provide a service that works you cancel with them and go elsewhere.

Within 14 days of ordering. Cooling-off periods are not a try-and-buy, they are to account for you changing your mind on the contract. Lots of providers won't give you an install date for two weeks for that reason.

Last edited:
This is the response I got this morning from Zen:

Cooling off period - The contract term is the length of time you commit to taking a service. You will be notified of your contract term when you place your order. At the end of the contract term, you service will continue on a month-by-month basis unless you specifically enter into a new contract term for a new service. You can end your service at any time by giving us 14 days’ notice but if you do so during the contract term you will still be liable to pay the charges due for the service from the date of termination to the end of the contract term. If you want to terminate more than one service, you must tell us when you give us notice. If you terminate one service, this does not mean that all services will be automatically terminated. You must follow the applicable termination process for each service you receive from us If we terminate your service, we will give you 14 days' notice and we will refund any charges paid in advance for the period after the termination date. When your service ends, we may ask you to return the equipment to us or let us collect it. If you fail to do so, we may charge you for the replacement cost and recovery costs of the equipment.

Contract regarding connection/speeds - If your Broadband Service is continuously performing below outside of the ‘Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed’ we provided in the confirmation email we sent to you and we are unable to resolve the issue within 30 days of you reporting this issue to us, then you may terminate our agreement without penalty but the charges for your use of the services up to the point of termination will not be refunded.

Migration - I have checked and you are with our TalkTalk supplier, this migration was an equipment migration for improvements.

So now they're saying this, is that good or bad news, no idea what TalkTalk equipment is like. Just to give some information the package I am on now is 52mb and I get that speed with 14ms ping. So if I'm getting that type of performance on FTTC does bode well for FTTP?

And it also sounds like the cooling period starts from the order date? so back in December..I am pretty sure the person on the phone said it's from activation/live date as that makes sense

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom