BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Is there any hidden little links or anything somewhere to get a bit more specific build date than that?

No, not unless the build has actually started and then you can look at progress on the ground as areas are turned on. If your G.fast estimate is above 200Mbps then you should be OK, assuming you can find an ISP willing to sell the product still.

If you're not in a congested Virgin area and you're given a Hub 5 then you will probably have no issues, the bits that are the most toilet at VM are their customer service, the upload speeds, and the lack of IPv6.

Last edited:
That's a rip off! I pay £3 for 8 - and that's on top of getting one for free. CGNAT is something I am not a massive fan of if I'm honest.

The price is what they set it at though, unless you can negotiate it down, I'd tend to agree £8 for a single IP address does seem high.

Don't consider it as £8 for a static IP, just work out the total service cost. It doesn't matter if it's £8 for an IP if you're still paying under £35 for 500Mbps or whatever.

No, not unless the build has actually started and then you can look at progress on the ground as areas are turned on. If your G.fast estimate is above 200Mbps then you should be OK, assuming you can find an ISP willing to sell the product still.

If you're not in a congested Virgin area and you're given a Hub 5 then you will probably have no issues, the bits that are the most toilet at VM are their customer service, the upload speeds, and the lack of IPv6.

Cool thanks. Are there any telltale signs that the area is getting ready/worked on? I've seen in this thread, for example, that they do some upgrades/cabling on the poles in the street as that's where the fibre gets ran from (we've a pole outside the house so easy to keep an eye on if that's the case), or is it just a case of checking near by postcodes?

Cool thanks. Are there any telltale signs that the area is getting ready/worked on? I've seen in this thread, for example, that they do some upgrades/cabling on the poles in the street as that's where the fibre gets ran from (we've a pole outside the house so easy to keep an eye on if that's the case), or is it just a case of checking near by postcodes?

It's really obvious when they've started to run the fibre as you get loads of openreach vans and their contractors parked all over running the cables.

I pay £5 a month for my static IP with LitFibre. In the consumer space it seems about average, PlusNet didn't charge but most others do or just don't offer it. Who's your £3 with @chrisd?

Static IPs are nice and there are obviously use cases for them, but a lot of the need for them can be worked around now with reverse proxies, things like Cloudflare Tunnel, or one of the numerous overlay technologies that works behind NAT. I think some commercial banking services still operate on knowing the public IP, at this point they should get a better authentication platform.

CGNAT on the other hand is a deal breaker.

Thanks @ChrisD. For some stupid reason I didn't think could get Aquiss but it appears I can. My 12 Month LitFibre deal is up soon so this looks like a good alternative, although I'm led to believe it requires new fibre and a 2nd ONT. Can anyone confirm that moving from an Alt Net provider to OpenReach does need new cable and ONT?

Awesome! It really is something. I find myself just downloading things to see the speeds lol. Very helpful to use with my Xbox Series S as the hard drive fills up fast, so with this speed I can just download/play/uninstall most games without worrying as they download in no time at all.

Roughly:

1.5 minutes for a 10GB game
7 minutes for a 50GB game
14 minutes for a 100GB game

If running at full speed anyway!

Awesome! It really is something. I find myself just downloading things to see the speeds lol. Very helpful to use with my Xbox Series S as the hard drive fills up fast, so with this speed I can just download/play/uninstall most games without worrying as they download in no time at all.

Roughly:

1.5 minutes for a 10GB game
7 minutes for a 50GB game
14 minutes for a 100GB game

If running at full speed anyway!

It's been just over a year since I moved house going from 26Mb FTTC to 500Mb FTTP, and even now I never get bored of seeing things download at 63MB/s, it's life changing. Like you say, not worrying about games as they download so quickly. In the past I've sat down to play a game only to find a 20GB update ruin that plan. Now it's just a mild inconvenience of waiting a few minutes.

I absolutely don't need gigabit but if it's going to cost me no more then I'll take it. It'll certainly be nice for downloading my favourite Linux isos at a fair pace! I have a few few people on my Plex server now too so the extra upload capacity will be handy. I'm also looking forward to (hopefully) being able to download torrents/usenet over VPN without being dns blackholed and killing my connection if I download too quickly, an issue with Sky I have been completely unable to resolve.

Reactions: KIA
It's been just over a year since I moved house going from 26Mb FTTC to 500Mb FTTP, and even now I never get bored of seeing things download at 63MB/s, it's life changing. Like you say, not worrying about games as they download so quickly. In the past I've sat down to play a game only to find a 20GB update ruin that plan. Now it's just a mild inconvenience of waiting a few minutes.

I absolutely don't need gigabit but if it's going to cost me no more then I'll take it. It'll certainly be nice for downloading my favourite Linux isos at a fair pace! I have a few few people on my Plex server now too so the extra upload capacity will be handy. I'm also looking forward to (hopefully) being able to download torrents/usenet over VPN without being dns blackholed and killing my connection if I download too quickly, an issue with Sky I have been completely unable to resolve.
Exactly! I downloaded a 70GB game in like 13 minutes, was averaging around 100mb/s compared to 5mb/s before! It's like going from dialup to ADSL again :D

Yeah we could have gone for a 500mb package that was the same price as our 50mb package which would have been a no brainer but..for £16 more to get 900mb..I couldn't resist lol

I didn't think ISP's did that? I use Nord VPN and connect to the P2P servers when downloading torrents, again depending on how many seeders there are I get over 100mb/s. So I can say Nord VPN does handle this connection speed very well.

Back
Top Bottom