BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

If you don't care about support or a static IP then TalkTalk's network is actually really decent.

If you do care that you speak to an actual human and not a script reader in a foreign call centre, and/or want a static IP (or even /29) and IPv6 (/56) then Aquiss are really difficult to ignore.

Last edited:
UK support does have a value, though BT does also have this from my experience.

Indian call centres may serve a purpose but for sure it's headaches if you actually want help with anything. I can't stand them most of the time.

though BT does also have this from my experience.
I think they're a bit like VM, it's pot luck. They do have UK support but you tend to have to go via the script readers first.

I had a profile issue on my ONT, Aquiss booked Openreach out within about an hour of my first email to them with evidence.

I think they're a bit like VM, it's pot luck. They do have UK support but you tend to have to go via the script readers first.

I had a profile issue on my ONT, Aquiss booked Openreach out within about an hour of my first email to them with evidence.

I actually had the same kind of thing (was on 900/50 for a bit apparently!) and when I spoke to BT it seemed to go via UK support as normal, and they sorted it fine.

Maybe not all of their staff are as technical or as good as someone like Aquiss, but I didn't have major issues sorting it out.

Perhaps I would have done via Talk Talk though. Most of the time you kind of hope these things just work :)

Update: I spoke with BT and got them to do Fibre 900 for £41/month.

This will almost immediately go up to £47 in April, that's the reason why it's cheaper now. It will save me like £15 a month for the next couple as well, swings and roundabouts!

Pretty happy with that tbh, and no changes needed.

Aquiss sounded good would have gone and checked them out if BT could do nothing decent for price.

Last edited:
I didn't think ISP's did that? I use Nord VPN and connect to the P2P servers when downloading torrents, again depending on how many seeders there are I get over 100mb/s. So I can say Nord VPN does handle this connection speed very well.

BTW it's just happened again while I was downloading via Usenet. Speed starts fluffing around then drops out altogether. I appear to lose DNS and nothing works apart from what is already cached. 5/10 minutes later it will come back to life again. This download was limited to 20MB/s and being downloaded via PIA VPN. I really can't figure out why at all. It does the same with torrents. Doesn't matter what VPN I use, even if I use Sky's own hardware. No idea!

ABCjlJx.png

Aquiss goes live on Monday and I cannot wait. But if this issue still exists then it must be hardware related further up the line? Who knows, time will tell :D

I'm not sure what to do.
Currently on Plusnet getting ~45 Mbps. I think Wildanet have installed cabling all around the area now And will offer free connection on any of their packages (200 Mbps for £25/month, 400 Mbps for £35/month or 900 Mbps for £60/month). However it's their own network and not part of Openreach so no other providers can use it, so I'd be stuck with them until Openreach do the area (estimated time is between now and Dec 2026).

I'm worried that their prices will go up (at least once the 24 month contract is over) and there still won't be any competition. I can't imagine I'll want to drop back down to 45 Mbps after I've been on FTTP for 24 months.

Has anyone had similar happen in their area? I'm wondering if it will affect the Openreach installation when that finally gets here.

Your dilemma is whether to have a 200Mbps service for 24 months and then maybe drop down to 45Mbps if you don't like the price you're quoted at renewal, or to stick with 45Mbps. If you need the speed then you need the speed.

Last edited:
Guys, which one would you go for? Just got keys to our new house, was planning on going with virgin but just found out we have FTTP available aswell. Which is better? Virgin or FTTP? (BT, Aquiss, Talktalk).

I can get 900/100 for £41 a month through BT but its a 24 month contract where as Aquiss is £27.50 a month for 6 months and then £55 for last 6 months which averages around the same as BT monthly but it's only a 12 month contract.

I've looked through the thread briefly and Aquiss seems to be highly recommended?

FTTP. I'd go with BT given the prices you've mentioned.
Longer contract probably isn't an issue since you'll be staying there long term.

Guys, which one would you go for? Just got keys to our new house, was planning on going with virgin but just found out we have FTTP available aswell. Which is better? Virgin or FTTP? (BT, Aquiss, Talktalk).

I can get 900/100 for £41 a month through BT but its a 24 month contract where as Aquiss is £27.50 a month for 6 months and then £55 for last 6 months which averages around the same as BT monthly but it's only a 12 month contract.

I've looked through the thread briefly and Aquiss seems to be highly recommended?
Don’t think you’ll find a bad word against Aquiss, free static IP as well I think. Aquiss won’t do an in contract price increase, I think BT do increase CPI+?

Definitely get FTTP rather than VM.

BT is fine, Aquiss is probably fine, not used them before, my post in here was similar to yours a few posts up :)

I just went with BT in the end as I was already with them. BT price will up in April by 15% bear in mind... and then next April probably 10%~

I recommend Aquiss if that cost increase concerns you!

So I've just discovered that if I enter my post code and choose any other house number but my own and the other 2 houses in my new build development I get the following:

Screenshot-20230213-203305.png

But for my own house number I get "Not yet available". What does this mean? Just some database error as my house is new? I have visions of the rest of the street getting FTTP and me not being able to order it because computer says no. This would literally be the story of my life :p

So I've just discovered that if I enter my post code and choose any other house number but my own and the other 2 houses in my new build development I get the following:

Screenshot-20230213-203305.png

But for my own house number I get "Not yet available". What does this mean? Just some database error as my house is new? I have visions of the rest of the street getting FTTP and me not being able to order it because computer says no. This would literally be the story of my life :p
Get in touch with Openreach. Or a provider that will listen to you and speak to them on your behalf, such as Aquiss.

It means nothing yet, it's only something you can raise to Openreach if houses around you got FTTP and you didn't.

Describe the differences between the existing homes and the new builds you're in - are they all houses rather than flats? Are they on a private road?

Last edited:
scribe the differences between the existing homes and the new builds you're in - are they all houses rather than flats? Are they on a private road?
All are houses and the road is actually the main road into the village. My house is a development of 3 houses on what used to be an orchid so its set back from the main road, built in what used to be someone's back yard sort of thing. As such the house numbers are "44B, 44C, 44D". Currently have FTTC so there is infrastructure to my house for sure.

Edit: Further to this I have found out that the FTTP is via telephone pole. Due to my house being set back essentially behind other houses, could this prevent me from being able to get it as I am not close enough to the street and they can't run a cable over another house?

Last edited:
Edit: Further to this I have found out that the FTTP is via telephone pole. Due to my house being set back essentially behind other houses, could this prevent me from being able to get it as I am not close enough to the street and they can't run a cable over another house?

How's your existing phone cable run from the telegraph pole?

Back
Top Bottom