BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Did you do any tweaks to get that A+ grade?

I did disable quite a few things in the advanced properties of the adapter. I changed one setting then did the bufferbloat test to see if it made any difference.

The majority of the settings I changed were related to power saving/green ethernet/EEE/disabling flow/disabling offload.

Some of them didn't make much of a difference to the test results but were settings that were recommended on quite a few optimisation guides.

I didn't think ISP's did that? I use Nord VPN and connect to the P2P servers when downloading torrents, again depending on how many seeders there are I get over 100mb/s. So I can say Nord VPN does handle this connection speed very well.

Me neither. But it's an issue I've been completely unable to resolve, no matter what hardware setup I use, VPN or anything else I can think of. If switching ISP doesn't fix it I will be upset for sure lol.

Been nearly a full year on the Full Fibre 900 not had one single downtime, whats more impressive when you upgrade your PC and can afford to do a clean wipe knowing your games will be done in a matter of minutes :D

Screenshot-2023-02-05-102054.png

Been nearly a full year on the Full Fibre 900 not had one single downtime, whats more impressive when you upgrade your PC and can afford to do a clean wipe knowing your games will be done in a matter of minutes :D

Screenshot-2023-02-05-102054.png
Downloading over 900/1G is certainly fantastic :p I think when I switch to BT though I'll drop down to 500Mb. I barely ever utilise the full 1Gig I have with VM at the moment so I'm thinking 500 will be plenty, plus a small monthly saving.

Is it generally recommended to go straight with BT these days, or should I be shopping around other providers that go over Openreach (I have FTTP)? I plan to use my own mesh WiFi, if that has any bearing on which providers of which network gear. There's some BT gear screwed into the wall at this house already from the previous owners, I'm guessing with it having been turned off for over a year by the time I switch, it'll be useless now?

BT do not have any favoured status on the Openreach network, a position that is set by law. There's no inherent advantage to going with BT over any other ISP, though there are obviously differences between providers in terms of the quality of the service they provide.

Very difficult to have a guess at what the BT equipment attached to the wall is, maybe you could post some photos.

Static IPs are nice and there are obviously use cases for them, but a lot of the need for them can be worked around now with reverse proxies, things like Cloudflare Tunnel, or one of the numerous overlay technologies that works behind NAT. I think some commercial banking services still operate on knowing the public IP, at this point they should get a better authentication platform.

CGNAT on the other hand is a deal breaker.

What is so bad about CGNAT? if I go with someone like Toob then I'm stuck on it I think, unless the static IP address they give you works around any deficiencies in CGNAT?

BT do not have any favoured status on the Openreach network, a position that is set by law. There's no inherent advantage to going with BT over any other ISP, though there are obviously differences between providers in terms of the quality of the service they provide.

Very difficult to have a guess at what the BT equipment attached to the wall is, maybe you could post some photos.
I believe it's a Huawei 4-port modem with BBU, after comparing to the illustrations on this BT page.

Looks like BT inflation cost increase this year is going to be nearly 15%, I'll definitely want to avoid that if I re-contract. I am still considering Toob or BT, but if I go with BT I may drop to the 500 package as it's really plenty fast enough still.

Alternative A.N.Other supplier on the same OR backend, in theory it's the same service but places like Talk Talk may be cheaper for the same thing.

Last edited:
Yes, they use BT Wholesale, and they're superb. UK based CS/support, very responsive to emails.

Not bad, only 12 month contract as well, I guess worst case I could switch away for a year and see the lay of the land after then :)

If I stay on the same 900/120 service I doubt OR even have to do anything.

At least it's a bargaining chip with BT as well. I'll see what kind of prices the other big suppliers are doing as well.

You'll struggle to find a better provider, drop them an email and ask about switching over. It'll just be a remote job if you already have FTTP.

I wouldn't use BT if you paid me.

You'll struggle to find a better provider, drop them an email and ask about switching over. It'll just be a remote job if you already have FTTP.

I wouldn't use BT if you paid me.

I think this experience will differ but they've been basically nothing but great with me really!

I guess after the 12 months though the price is the price, they're just the standard £55/month for 900/120 with nothing special going on, BT are sometimes open to negotiating.

There's nothing really wrong with BT, they're just a bit expensive and the support is consumer oriented rather than for the "power user". I'm out of contract paying £40 for FTTC but stuck with them for the moment, I don't resent it too much.

Last edited:
A lot of the cost is going to come from OR as well though, Talk Talk are the cheapest no thrills provider so far.

£49/month for 900/120 with 18 month contract, may even come with some free Amazon Eero thing. The 500 is £39/month.

Aquiss is cheaper year 1 on their 6 months half price deal. Their 500 deal is poor with a £50 RRP making the 900 one a "may as well" at that difference.

Plusnet is £40 for 500 with a free £70 reward card, 24 month contract so average of almost £3 back per month initially. I had no problem with Plusnet service when I used to be with them, but they messed up my billing pretty badly so I swore off using them for a while. That took way too much effort to solve. They wound up refunding me via a cheque in the end.

Toob are by far the cheapest/best value for money but it's also meaning early adopter syndrome. I may be better off waiting for a year or so anyway to get initial teething issues out of the way. https://www.toob.co.uk/locations/fareham/

Anyone else worth checking out?

Back
Top Bottom