BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

So after learning that I'm in a black hole for Infinity while around 6 cabinets around my area are enabled I contacted BT Openreach via my MP to find out what the chuff was going on.

Eventually found out that it had been suspended indefinitely due to a large cost to power the cabinet many times over what they budget per cabinet.

Whatever issue was there has been sorted between Openreach and my MP's office and now getting Infinity around November time.

Happy :)

Did you try these with uTorrent? they work for me 24/7 and max out my download speeds...

Options > Preferences

"Connection"
> Port used for incoming connections: 21

"Bandwidth"
> "Global Rate Limit Option" - ensure none of these three boxes are ticked
> "Number of Connections" - Global: 256. Per Torrent: 64. Upload slots: 8. Tick "Use additional if under 90%"

"BitTorrent"
> "Basic BitTorrent Features" - ensure all boxes are ticked except "Enable Bandwidth Management" and "Limit local peer bandwidth"
> "Protocol Encryption" - Outgoing: Forced. Allow incoming legacy connections: Ticked.

"Advanced"
> "bt.transp_disposition" - increase to 255 and click "Set"

Will double check later but I have tried a few guides online.

Anyone in the South West getting problems with HTTPS connections? Massive thread on the BT site about it and it's starting to really wind me up as BT don't seem to acknowledge it. So many sites are making to move to a secure connection and it's just timing out. I couldn't even buy a damn razor as it was timing out the natwest site.

Will double check later but I have tried a few guides online.

Anyone in the South West getting problems with HTTPS connections? Massive thread on the BT site about it and it's starting to really wind me up as BT don't seem to acknowledge it. So many sites are making to move to a secure connection and it's just timing out. I couldn't even buy a damn razor as it was timing out the natwest site.

What do you mean by problem with HTTPS? I dont have any problem with websites that use HTTPS, the only thing I knotice which is probably more firefox/google is since version 14 Firefox uses google https for all google searches.

Sometimes it take a a repeat of the search term for it to actually go off and find the search results.

Dont think its anything to do with BT however...

HTTPS connections are timing out. So Natwests secure thingy when paying for things, overclockers store etc.

Apparently it's something to do with BTs SouthWest centre.

So after learning that I'm in a black hole for Infinity while around 6 cabinets around my area are enabled I contacted BT Openreach via my MP to find out what the chuff was going on.

Eventually found out that it had been suspended indefinitely due to a large cost to power the cabinet many times over what they budget per cabinet.

Whatever issue was there has been sorted between Openreach and my MP's office and now getting Infinity around November time.

Happy :)

Seriously - don't hold your breath on this one, despite what an MP has said (not exactly well known for their truthful dialogue).
What does the BT checker say for you at the moment if you do a search? If it's definitely going to happen in November I'd expect the checker to indicate that by now.

dont think the infinity checker is all that great for the last year and a half, its been constantly putting back the release of infinity in my area 3 months at a time. I know my exchange is enabled. Just wish they'd pull their finger out.

Seriously - don't hold your breath on this one, despite what an MP has said (not exactly well known for their truthful dialogue).
What does the BT checker say for you at the moment if you do a search? If it's definitely going to happen in November I'd expect the checker to indicate that by now.

Openreach have confirmed themselves that they've commissioned the cabinet and services available to order in November.

I emailed them myself as well. I just asked my MP to apply pressure in addition to my own correspondence.

Currently says September 2012 (the standard quarterly holding date) so I'm expecting this to update sometime after then...

Last edited:
Openreach have confirmed themselves that they've commissioned the cabinet and services available to order in November.

I emailed them myself as well. I just asked my MP to apply pressure in addition to my own correspondence.

Currently says September 2012 (the standard quarterly holding date) so I'm expecting this to update sometime after then...

I got everything crossed for ya.
I honestly didn't think the exchange I'm on would get Infinity so quickly - I see so many exchanges without it and no sign of an activation date.
I've got more bandwidth than I need, but it's certainly nice having it.

Another one here getting BT Infinity.

Getting their 40/10 package for £18 a month plus line rental. I'm currently paying AAISP £20 a month for a 20mb connection (which has been excellent I will say).

But as the cabinet is across the road from my house it was a bit of a non brainer really when BT called and said my exchange was FTTC enabled.

Sept 5th is the big day! :)

Give it a few days, the speeds will go crazy but after the testing period you may end up with better speeds ;).

On the other hand my profile seems to have dropped from 44mb to 31mb...

ya shouldn't of said that, i've lost 10mbps in 5 days so far ;), have changed router last night tho(after the speed decreased.), also been taken off fast path..

in any event dlm is taking me all over the country atm, currently in Luton according to google, have been in Milton Keynes and Oxford aswell, hope by the end of the DLM, i'll actually be in Ipswich ;)(where i live incase it wasn't obvious ;))

I honestly don't see why you'd want to pay so much extra money to avoid BT. It's not a small difference either. You'd have to have very specific requirements to make it worth the extra.

How do I identify the cabinets in my street ?
Go look for them. They look like this:

original

They come in different sizes, but the give away are the breathing fins on it.

Back
Top Bottom