BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
IF you live in Wales, if you haven't already got fibre, you can't have Fibre unless the Welsh Government says so according to BT now. They have enabled the exchange, but aren't processing orders. Instead refering to an announcement made by the Welsh Government.

"Dear Mejinks

Thank you for contacting us about fibre broadband.

The Welsh Government is now responsible for the rollout of fibre broadband in Wales.

Please see their announcement below:"

Talk about fob off. That 'response' took 9 days to craft. Honestly, this country would be better off with BT broken up into regional telecoms companies. They just don't give a rats ****. When I have contracted for Major government organizations such as HMRC and Welsh Government, BT treat them with the same contempt leaving them out in the cold when they have broken things and not bothered fixing them or on major rollouts such as PSBA.

118UK tried to deal with BT while I was there, in the end we went with NTL as it was then because BT couldn't get the simplest of things right and gave barefaced lies when confronted. We went on to become the largest OLO on NTLs network, spending several hundred thousand pounds. BT didn't even try to find out where they went wrong.

I have a deep hatred for BT because of this now.

Associate
That looks like Welsh government interference in private industry, what can BT do if the authorities there want to take control of everything? It'll take ages to get anything approved from the state(when it comes to public interest).

Associate
oh yes got my line back to normal after a profile reset lucky really the guy said you're getting 66meg thats fine your line cant take much more
trying to fob me off

i said i want a profile reset he said we cant he said he would phone up and check
done that and that shamed him up full 80megs again fastpath :)

he also was like I should fine me because i use lan 2

Link to result: http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1350896622&v=17562280

Last edited:
Associate
BT Infinity 160Mb i can order this but maxrate my line can take is 95 ;/
or is this FTTP

not sure i really need it but you know you just want the faster speeds lol

Last edited:
Associate
does anyone know what Retrain Reason: 2
means on the modem stats when i first got it use to be 0

my Attainable rate is going down almost all the time now wont be long before it goes below 80meg ;/

MAX Attainable rate (kbit/s) 89644 was 118meg max when first installed

i guess the cab is getting full? Attainable rate was 95max yesturday not sure whats going on lol maybe its where bt reset my profile today

and when i use the phone the maxrate goes down another 2meg that normal?

Last edited:
Soldato
I finally got Infinity installed after waiting ages for my cab to go live, I work for Openreach so I get it for free :) Considering that much of my d side cable route is aluminium cable and I am a fair distance from the cabinet I am happy with the speeds I am getting:
2257671452.png

The engineer who did the install reported a sync of 43/12.5 when first installed, I have an ECI modem so I haven't been able to hack it to view line stats yet (looks to be a hassle) but I'm still happy with the speed I'm getting. My ping time was 9ms on speedtest.net at first so that has risen a little as well...

Associate
not bad as you get it for free you lucky sod

btw if you do hack the modem if an engineer comes round pull out the lan 2 so it doesn't know you hacked it
engineer came round mine gave me some stick about it when it was connected he said i could get a fine he was not happy at all

i was like mate keep your noes out

Last edited:
Don
i was like mate keep your noes out

You sound like a grade-A arse and a PITA customer. The BT Engineer was just doing his job :rolleyes:

I finally got Infinity installed after waiting ages for my cab to go live, I work for Openreach so I get it for free :) Considering that much of my d side cable route is aluminium cable and I am a fair distance from the cabinet I am happy with the speeds I am getting:
2257671452.png

The engineer who did the install reported a sync of 43/12.5 when first installed, I have an ECI modem so I haven't been able to hack it to view line stats yet (looks to be a hassle) but I'm still happy with the speed I'm getting. My ping time was 9ms on speedtest.net at first so that has risen a little as well...

Is that using the Infinity 2 profile? Either way, 35Mbps on an Aluminium line is pretty good! Your ping time will vary depending on the speedtest server that you're using anyway :).

Associate
haha grade a ass? i didn't say it to him...

and his job was to reset my profile he also said i can not replace the modem erm yes i can

the guy made me laugh tho saying My line could only take 66meg and he was going to leave i said wait up a min i got bt to book you because my profile has gone down
no way was he going without it getting it reset so he made some calls and it was reset now back to 80megs i said i told you..

He was calling me a liar when i told him i was on 80megs for the last 5 months fine he was thats when he went on about me using lan 2

@scoobyrichuk looks like you're on interleaving try a speed test with bbmax
i find them more stable

Last Result:
Download Speed: 81524 kbps (10190.5 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 17876 kbps (2234.5 KB/sec )

:)

going to replace my home hub+modem with
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=11522

looks a decent price good reviews about it also

Last edited:
Soldato
The BT engineer that came to my parents house asked me how to hack the modem and I showed him lol, gave me a few spare too. Even the executive level guys in Openreach asked if I hacked the modem when I had a fault and they didn't care and where happy to talk about the stats.

must have had a grumpy BT engineer.

Associate
he was grumpy and wanted to leave asap was in a rush by the looks of it if i didnt ask for a reset he would have just left me on the capped speeds
he was like mate you're getting 60meg so?? i use to have 80 so could you please ask them to reset my profile

he was going on like i was lieing i use to have 80 he said no way would you get 80...i said i had it for 5 months he was laughing
shut him up tho when i synced at 79999

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom