BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Raymond your speed probably will adjust even higher, mine went from 58mb synced for 5 days to now 69mb synced which it's been staying at....line hasn't ever disconnected since my linefault 3 weeks or so ago and latency is really good.

Have had that odd issue where this forum would load slow but not had it for a week or more now.

I am going to power off my router/hub in a few more days at 2am or so then see if line syncs at 75mb again. :) (this is best way to sync it right?)

Caporegime
The problem is that prior to this I had my router + Apple Extreme on the other side of the room because it is where the sockets are in the room.

Where the phone socket has no power sockets. The engineer basically had to plug in a 4 way extension lead slab thing and its is now across the floor on the side of the room...not pretty.

It also means now my Apple Extreme is not connected to the network since it is not connected to the BT Hub. That also means my NAS is not on the network either as that was connected to the router too !

Basically, right now, nothing that needs wires - Xbox, NAS, Apple Extreme, Bluray player, HiFi Receiver, all are not online as they are all on the other side of the room !

The white box is stuck and it needs power, i am not sure how i am going to feed it power without having that power extension lead on the floor.

Associate
You could use a longer RJ 11 cable to move the white box, or keep it where it is and run a cat5 cable between that and your apple extreme, the home hub is a wireless router and a switch, similar to the extreme. Just plug the WAN port into the LAN 1 port on the white box and configure the extreme with the Airport utility to use PPoE and the username (should be in this thread - I forget what it is) and jobs a goodun.

Man of Honour
Not sure if you can, KIA is probably the best person to ask he knows an awful lot about network stuff....i might order this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-051-AS&groupid=46&catid=1595&subcat= heard it works great with infinity and also takes up one less power socket too then.

That router won't work with FTTC, it's an ADSL router. I think you mean the RT-N56U - which incidentally is a better bit of kit than the Extreme.

Just plug the WAN port into the LAN 1 port on the white box and configure the extreme with the Airport utility to use PPoE and the username (should be in this thread - I forget what it is) and jobs a goodun.

This pretty much.

Associate
Really want fiber now....

My exchange has been ready for a long time but when I put my number into the BT website it says I cant get it yet.......So I called BT and the guy reckons the cabinets still need to be done......I live soo close to the exchnage I cant belive the cabinet will be any closer.....

Caporegime
Raymond - the engineer would have fitted a data extension socket next to your wall socket for free - did you forget to ask for it?

I wasn't home, my mum was over to "oversee" it as I was at work.

I didn't really know what the installation involved and had no idea I needed a power socket by the phone socket.

Even if I run a cat 5 to the Apple extreme, and take the BT hub that side of the room I still need 1 power socket for the white box.

Sigh.

Associate

My exchange has been ready for a long time but when I put my number into the BT website it says I cant get it yet.......So I called BT and the guy reckons the cabinets still need to be done......I live soo close to the exchnage I cant belive the cabinet will be any closer.....

I have just checked - http://fttc-check.alc.im/

And it seems to say Im directly connected to exchnage which means I cant get Fiber!!??? Any clue why?

Exchnage_zpsadc4e5f9.jpg

Man of Honour
I wasn't home, my mum was over to "oversee" it as I was at work.

I didn't really know what the installation involved and had no idea I needed a power socket by the phone socket.

Even if I run a cat 5 to the Apple extreme, and take the BT hub that side of the room I still need 1 power socket for the white box.

Sigh.

Buy a Draytec VDSL router then, no separate modem and router.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Right, after 6 weekends in a row of no internet, and despite my good deal with Virgin, its time to move.

What is the best way to gauge ISPs in my area?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Use the address checker @ https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/s...unity/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Checker.html

You might have an exchange-only line.

Back
Top Bottom