BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Then do one of two things.

1) Connect the WAN port of the TC (assuming it has one) to LAN 1 of the BT modem, and config the PPoE settings as per what is required. This is also mentioned on the previous page. By doing this you no longer need the BT hub.
2) Buy a Draytec to replace the modem and hub, and connect the TC to the Draytec via cable or wireless. Not sure if you can set the TC up as an access point, easiest way is probably setting it as a wireless client, OSX will be able to see it through the Draytec.

Caporegime
I used to use Xilo for ADSL before moving to Sky for FTTC. They were great and had their pricing not been so high for FTTC when I was looking to switch I'd still be with them.

Aye, thats my major concern with them, adding on installation and line rental makes them a very pricey option. I can't believe I'd say this but I might even be tempted back to Sky, if their FTTC is better than their adsl. There is just something about going with BT that makes me cringe.

Associate
Ain't this a cheaper alternative to the Draytek all in one solution.

Billion BiPAC 8200N under the 100 mark.

Or would i just get one of the Asus RT-N 56U-65U-66U..

Caporegime
Then do one of two things.

1) Connect the WAN port of the TC (assuming it has one) to LAN 1 of the BT modem, and config the PPoE settings as per what is required. This is also mentioned on the previous page. By doing this you no longer need the BT hub.
2) Buy a Draytec to replace the modem and hub, and connect the TC to the Draytec via cable or wireless. Not sure if you can set the TC up as an access point, easiest way is probably setting it as a wireless client, OSX will be able to see it through the Draytec.

I think option one would be the way to go, i mean the BT white box modem is actually fixed to the wall now so might as well use it. Just need to run a long Cat 5 to the Apple TC.

Ordered a lead, should be here tomorrow, £5.

Soldato
Oh nooooo I just googled what that is....:(

I knew there was reason why I was syncing at 24.4MB on ADSL2......

Its not all bad, they are enabling exchange lines, just slower than cabinets.

I'm in the same boat, but can now order infinity via BT, just waiting on Sky to catchup :)

I guess there reaching out to people who will receive the biggest benefit when going infinity first

Caporegime
To be able to actually watch full HD content without waiting or buffering is a dream !

Apple TV's movie rental finally becomes useful.
Netflix's HD content now looks nicer
Can watch a live streaming whilst downloading another large file saves so much time.
I can finally upload wedding album designs to my printers and not having to send them a disc also saves time and money.

But I just know that in 5 years there will be something faster than this still and 100mb will seem like 1mb.

Don
To be able to actually watch full HD content without waiting or buffering is a dream !

Apple TV's movie rental finally becomes useful.
Netflix's HD content now looks nicer
Can watch a live streaming whilst downloading another large file saves so much time.
I can finally upload wedding album designs to my printers and not having to send them a disc also saves time and money.

But I just know that in 5 years there will be something faster than this still and 100mb will seem like 1mb.

Welcome to the 21st Century :)

Associate

I'm in the same boat, but can now order infinity via BT, just waiting on Sky to catchup :)

I guess there reaching out to people who will receive the biggest benefit when going infinity first

So were you on an Exchnage Only line aswell, and now they fixed it?

Soldato
That FTTC checker shows my cabinet as being FTTP, does that mean it's taking longer to get fibre because of that?

Exchange has been enabled for over a year now :(

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Do you live in Cornwall?

Finally managed to get infinity to my address, only a year later than the planner said. On the plus side its 160mb fttp. Just got a two week wait now.

Lucky son of a... :D

Please post a speedtest when it's live.

Soldato
Anyone got a good deal from BT for unlimited deal?

What deal did you get?

They've currently got an offer of Infinity 2 unlimited for £20 for 3 or 4 months £24 per month after - Phone Line rental 14.50.

I went through TCB site too and it offered £30 cashback to sign up - but BT have declined it for some reason - i'm currently contesting it, but what the heck - defo worth a shot ;)

Back
Top Bottom