BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Don't know if its been posted, but Openreach have confirmed distance to your aggregation point is measured using a radius, not actual line length. (link). Section 3.8.

This should make installs significantly cheaper. Using a radius my line length is 250m shorter which could be the different between affording FTTPoD or not.

Also, if you're wondering about what they actually install for a FTTPoD service (or FTTP) then I found a decent Openreach developer's guide that explains everything. Right down to the product order codes for all the different parts :) (link). Page 8+

For example, I have never liked the external CSP (customer splice point), and having a duct which enters directly in to my rack under the stairs, I'm glad to see they offer the choice to have the CSP mounted internally.

Interesting stuff, nice find.

Potentially dumb question: I have a nice big BT manhole in my front garden (2 year old development) that is mostly empty except for the black joining box and the old cables in it. Doesn't that mean it's relatively to get the fibre into there from the nearest aggregation point? Surely no digging is involved so install cost should be minimal? (assuming it's near the FTTC cabinet which I'm currently using...). Presumably not everyone is in this situation.

9kbs LOL

God this is bad.

Made one phone call to customer services and boy are they useless, all they wanted to do was remotely assist my pc!

Please don't tell me i've made a mistake by leaving Virgin for something worse lol

It doesn't sound like you're on one of the new "unlimited" packages. When did you join?

BT Infinity installed two days ago.

Getting around 76mb down and 18mb up.

I'm more than happy with this considering they predicted 60mb, the Openworld engineers also replaced the copper all the way to the cabinet.

The best part, stable pings!

8mIME5G.png

vs Virgin Media:

a7f5744af7506ae65c8a7781921254fd.png

One day they might actually sort their internal routing out so people aren't being bounced around the country just to get onto the internet :S then pings will pretty much halve to the internet gateway itself.

Getting my fibre installed tomorrow is there anything I should do or look out for when the engineer comes?

I already have an ADSL faceplate so need to make sure this is replaced with the fibre one?

Getting my fibre installed tomorrow is there anything I should do or look out for when the engineer comes?

I already have an ADSL faceplate so need to make sure this is replaced with the fibre one?

Engineer does that anyway.

Main thing is where do you want the modem installed, where do you want the router installed, eg next to modem or next to PC.

Distance between the master socket and your PC and how do you get the cables from it to PC.

eg do you have the HH3 next to your PC or next to modem ?

I know the engineer should change the face plate, I read either in this thread or somewhere else the engineer that installed there fibre didn't change the faceplate.

Already have an ADSL extension kit which from what I understand can be used for the fibre modem. If not I'll just have it next the the master socket.

With Aol for 12 Years never had great speeds but has mainly been reliable 1.5/2.0MB my address only has an estimated 3MB (1 Mile from Exchange and poor cabling I would imagine)

Had multiple problems over last 3/4 months, given them plenty of opertunity's to sort the problem (intermitent connection for 1/2 month then none what so ever) two engineers came out after waiting 3/4 week for each and couldn't do a thing, then refered us to high technitions who never turned up etc without going into it we had a pretty bad departure as a customer from them!

Just got a text should recieved BT Hub tomorrow, and be online Friday.

23MB Estimated D/L 5MB Upload, Should beat 150/180KB per sec download and an extremely poor connection with more than one computer online at the same time.

Not the best I know, at my brothers address he is on 16MB on DLS, 80/20 with Fibre but this is 10 x better than previous so it will feel luxurious I'm sure.

Also the BT Sports and ESPN is a nice touch.

Counting down the days, hours, minutes, seconds.. been a long time without internet now!

Oh and it took us 3 weeks, to get the tag removed off our line.. even with ofcom having contacted them.

Originally needed a MAC code which never arrived whilst we were still connected as requested, then couldn't get one as we wern't.. but would still request us one and allow us to wait 5 days then break the news for a second time.

Appauling, stay away if that's how a 12 year loyal customer is treated, also found them very rude once we had cancled our contract and multiple cut offs and being on hold for 30 mins at a time!

Yeah make him a cup of tea....

:p

Good luck and don't forget to report back on the results :)

and a choccy biccy, helps if you want them to put in extra wiring.

He had 1 cuppa. Replaced the master socket as it was old, reused my existing ADSL extension wiring and that had a better connection than on the master socket! Also checked all the phone extensions were still working. Nice chap. :)

This is what I'm getting;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24278234&postcount=873

But direct connections through the HomeHub 3 can't ever go over 30Mbit. However wireless speeds can go to 50-60 Mbit.

Is it just that the HomeHub is crap? I'd have thought that the modem supplied for BT Infinity would at least be able to support the service it was provided with.

Turns out that using homeplugs with the modem don't give the full homeplug speed somehow.

Homeplug on it's own (into OpenReach Modem) - 50Mb
Homeplug via HomeHub3 - 30Mb Max
Direct Ethernet connection to HomeHub - 75Mb

Doesn't make any sense.

He had 1 cuppa. Replaced the master socket as it was old, reused my existing ADSL extension wiring and that had a better connection than on the master socket! Also checked all the phone extensions were still working. Nice chap. :)

This is what I'm getting;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24278234&postcount=873

Could I ask what you were predicted on the checker before hand?

Ive had a 1/1.8MB Connection for years, with 0.30 Upload...
So still not amazing compared to some people's but amazing to me and a huge improvement the checker states for FTTC for me 23MB Download 6MB Up.

Could I ask what you were predicted on the checker before hand?

Ive had a 1/1.8MB Connection for years, with 0.30 Upload...
So still not amazing compared to some people's but amazing to me and a huge improvement the checker states for FTTC for me 23MB Download 6MB Up.

The checker predicted 'Up to' 15.6Mbps down and 'Up to' 3.8Mbps up.
I was getting 8.6/0.9 before.

The Postcode database info said a speed increase of 4.24

I'm about 1.4km from the cabinet.

The checker predicted 'Up to' 15.6Mbps down and 'Up to' 3.8Mbps up.
I was getting 8.6/0.9 before.

The Postcode database info said a speed increase of 4.24

I'm about 1.4km from the cabinet.

I see, Thanks.

Im less from the cabinet myself, and been predicted that. Hopefully I will be fortunate like yourself and get speeds higher than the predicted 23MB but will be happy with anything over 20!

Back
Top Bottom