BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

He had 1 cuppa. Replaced the master socket as it was old, reused my existing ADSL extension wiring and that had a better connection than on the master socket! Also checked all the phone extensions were still working. Nice chap. :)

This is what I'm getting;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24278234&postcount=873

almost identical to me...............i just hope that they improve the lines at some stage.............

I was predicted much higher:( had i known id be getting these speeds id of probably gone with virmin

i get a steady 63 down and 17 up according to speedtest.net and other checkers including BT's.
... noticed that when downloading from easynews via http , i get 74 down (using download manager free )

just curious as to why ?

How accurate are BT/PlusNet/Sky's estimated speed for fibre? Do the under estimate?

Fibre is now ready in my area, and projected speeds across ALL suppliers (assuming this is fed to them from Openreach) is 22-23Mb Down and 5Mb Up.

OS1T2Cr.jpg.png

ADSL wise we only get 1Mb - 1.5Mb in the village due to the distance from the Exchange, and then also our village is in the sticks so some of us are still a decent distance from the single cabinet.

Now for most people in the village, going from 1Mb to 23Mb will be great, but a couple of years ago a private company put in wireless radio broadband which gives us a solid 20Mb, it's pretty damn reliable as its fed from the local school's fibre (joint venture) but its £24 a month - but they cannot provide a phone line at the moment as they're struggling with their VOIP solution, so still need to pay TalkTalk for a phone etc.

Just wondering whether to ditch my reliable 20Mb private broadband and ditch the talktalk package, and ditch the sky package (out of contract) and take all 3 services with one company but then its back to landline etc ...

Last edited:
eh up! Something has appeared around the corner today.

IMG_1449.jpg

I've got no idea how long it'll be until it's live. Checking my phone number doesn't mention fibre at all. A postcode check says end of March 2014. Samknows says the exchange will go live 30th September 2013.

Does the HH3 not handle multiple connections very well? I know the last HH I owned (the very first) didn't and would crumble into a heap with multiple connections.

I was downloading some stuff from my upload.net account last night, 6GB of files in 1GB packets, set them all going at the same time with a max connection of 20 on each file, started out well sitting around 8.9mb/s spiking occasionally to 10-15mb/s, after two files had finished speeds dropped to around 100kb/s overall (around 20-40kb/s on the remaining 4) and connections to each file dropped down to 1-2. Using jdownloader to download, though speeds remained the same going through chrome

Is this likely BT not liking the fact I have an Upload.to account and throttling it? Or just the HH3 is junk that can't handle what I'm asking?

No internet for too long now, 1Mb connection for years.. But tomorrow is the day an BT Engineer will arrive and install us FTTC been estimated 23MB 5-6 Up.

Our master socket is downstairs now my question is I will see if he can extened it upstairs but taking into consideration our speed we should get I assume Wifi will handle this with ease now I know wired is always the best option but would the Gigabit port make a huge difference for the main computer?

Just curious, Because if I can't get him to sort it out for upstairs Ill have to sort it out myself at some point.

Im an existing customer? I've had BT Broadband for a while now. Im sure It said existing customers are able to get it to?

You can, I've already done it. To watch on Sky I just needed my viewing card number and BT account number.

Quickly reading the site again it looks like all you need to do is log into BTsport.com with your BT details when the channel launches on 1st Aug if you intend to watch it online.

http://www.bt.com/sport/3-ways-to-watch-bt-sport.html

No internet for too long now, 1Mb connection for years.. But tomorrow is the day an BT Engineer will arrive and install us FTTC been estimated 23MB 5-6 Up.

Our master socket is downstairs now my question is I will see if he can extened it upstairs but taking into consideration our speed we should get I assume Wifi will handle this with ease now I know wired is always the best option but would the Gigabit port make a huge difference for the main computer? Or would I basically get a very similar speed over Wifi as it's not having to handle tons of MB's e.g 60/70

Just curious, Because if I can't get him to sort it out for upstairs Ill have to sort it out myself at some point.

Could anyone clear this up for me, Engineer coming this afternoon 1PM onwards.

Could anyone clear this up for me, Engineer coming this afternoon 1PM onwards.

He may be able to do it but it probably depends on who you get unfortunately. I had a new install (phone line) so I had two engineer visits - the first installed the phone line where I asked him to. You don't want an extension btw - ideally you'd want the master socket moving. I think I've heard of BT offering 'data extensions' with installs though.

Any wired connection will be an improvement over any wireless. You don't need the gigabit port though - 100mbit will more than cover whatever speeds you'll get on FTTC BT Infinity. If all you're doing is light browsing you may find that wireless is fine however.

Question about the 'new' BT Infinity Totally Unlimited, no throttling, packages that they introduced in February...

I know some ISPs like to limit FTP speed to any servers that aren't theirs. (LOL, who uses ISP provided webspace these days!? :p).
Are BT one of the ISPs do this, or is FTP unlimited? Don't want to go buying the 20mb upload package and then find they limit the FTP speed to all my sites on TSOHost.

Ta.

Does the HH3 not handle multiple connections very well? I know the last HH I owned (the very first) didn't and would crumble into a heap with multiple connections.

I was downloading some stuff from my upload.net account last night, 6GB of files in 1GB packets, set them all going at the same time with a max connection of 20 on each file, started out well sitting around 8.9mb/s spiking occasionally to 10-15mb/s, after two files had finished speeds dropped to around 100kb/s overall (around 20-40kb/s on the remaining 4) and connections to each file dropped down to 1-2. Using jdownloader to download, though speeds remained the same going through chrome

Is this likely BT not liking the fact I have an Upload.to account and throttling it? Or just the HH3 is junk that can't handle what I'm asking?

BT shouldn't throttle anything (except for maybe torrents).

I normally have 3 phones (wireless), my femtocell (wired) 2-3 computers (wireless) and a pi (wired) connected at 1 time and don't have any problems with it.

Sent an email to both BTO Enquiries and Superfast Cymru about when my area would be FTTC enabled, BT came back to me saying Superfast Cymru are responsible for fttc rollout in wales, but told me i'm on Cab 18 which was helpful.

Received an email from Superfast Cymru with less helpful info

The Superfast Cymru partnership agreement between the Welsh Government and BT ensures fairness and equity of roll-out of the network and that harder-to-reach areas are connected at the same time as those areas that are easier. To receive regular updates for your area, please visit the Superfast Cymru website at www.superfast-cymru.com and register your interest in the programme (available from the Where & When page) to receive regular updates. There is a postcode checker available on the website which will give the most up to date information on your postcode area.

Regards
Superfast-cymru

*Sigh*.....Thanks for that.

All I know is my exchange is FTTC enabled, so just have to wait a little while longer i suppose.

I know some ISPs like to limit FTP speed to any servers that aren't theirs. (LOL, who uses ISP provided webspace these days!? :p).
Are BT one of the ISPs do this, or is FTP unlimited? Don't want to go buying the 20mb upload package and then find they limit the FTP speed to all my sites on TSOHost.

FTP shouldn't be throttled.

I still have an issue with BT throttling cloud upload speeds to Microsoft, Google and their own service if I use the desktop client. This issue goes away when I use a VPN or HTTPS via browser. Very odd.

Back
Top Bottom