BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Typical BT :( I've had problems like that - fairly small things you'd think could be sorted by 1st line support but they just go around in circles with no escalation path. In the past I've ended up having to contact Ian Livingston to get things properly sorted but hes moving on from BT now and by all accounts the replacement isn't likely to be as helpful in this regard.

Gonna be seriously thinking of moving to another ISP next time I run into an issue/feel like a change.

Associate
Hi all, we're thinking of switching from sky ADSL to unlimited BT infinity as it appears cheaper and no one really watches sky anymore. Is there anything to be aware of with BT as in, do they limit speeds at peak times and things like that? Thanks

Associate
No limits at any time on BT Infinity. Just be weary of the type of bill they put you on. Unless you want to be on a quarterly bill, you will have to specifically request a monthly bill from them before you take the contract out. Also, make sure they charge you the correct amount each month. If they charge you £17.50 for the first month, ring up and fix it, because the rest of that charge, will be carried forward to your next bill. It's taken me 6 months to sort mine. The service is great though. No limits at all.

Soldato
Got nothing when i transferred house. They waived install fee but that's standard iirc.

Hmmm :(

I phoned them the other day to ask when my contract was due to expire. The guy asked why I wanted to know, and I said that other providers were cheaper.

He told me to call back at the end of November, and they could reduce the price for a 12 month phone + Infinity 2 contract renewal if I paid for the line rental upfront. He couldn't give me an indicative price unfortunately.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Soldato
Had to move from my old house to another, exchange at the new place is fully subscribed for Infinity so I've had to downgrade to standard BB. Missing my 76/16Mbps connection massively.

Are there any ways to get BT to upgrade your exchange, other than doing a campaign round the village to get people to 'register interest' with them?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Had to move from my old house to another, exchange at the new place is fully subscribed for Infinity so I've had to downgrade to standard BB. Missing my 76/16Mbps connection massively.

Are there any ways to get BT to upgrade your exchange, other than doing a campaign round the village to get people to 'register interest' with them?

The cab is full?

They should add another cab if there is enough demand.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Mine now says March next year even though it should have been up weeks ago if a car wasn't parked right in front of the cab. They rescheduled for the 8th October but i'm not holding my breath as that car seems to be parked there every day, up on the pavement inches from the cab.

Soldato
what's the maximum DL/UL speed you can get on Infinity atm?

I know I can find that on BT website, but eg. VM only sells 100Mbps on their web, whereas I'm on 120Mbps package and get 126Mbps on speedtest.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
what's the maximum DL/UL speed you can get on Infinity atm?

I know I can find that on BT website, but eg. VM only sells 100Mbps on their web, whereas I'm on 120Mbps package and get 126Mbps on speedtest.

80/20

Real world throughput will be 2-3 megabits slower.

Permabanned
Does anyone understand line rental?

I am on adsl2 (at adsl speed) currently and pay BT line rental + talktalk 9.99 a month.

My line was upgraded today to 42mbit down and 6mbit upload, which isn't quite the 80/20 promised but much better than 2/1!

Both talktalk and plusnet claim for their fibre product i have to pay them line rental + fibre + phone + bt line rental...why would i pay bt line rental twice? Both come to around £40 a month.

Also I have a linksys router currently, can I use this with the fibre product, I dont want a homehub or a "technicolor wifi router" as I want control over my network.

Thanks!

Soldato
You only pay line rental once.

I pay BT for my line rental and Plusnet for my broadband. You can select broadband only on their website. It would be cheaper to pay Plusnet for them both but I'd already paid BT 12 months line rental in advance.

If your existing router is intended for adsl use then it probably won't be suitable. If you supply the model number someone will be able to tell you for sure.

Permabanned
I was looking at Plusnet and could not find an option to opt out of line rental as I already pay it to BT. There is no option on the online order form?

The router is a linksys WAG 210N. It is a bit tripe really when it comes to WiFi signal anyway - half the house has no signal so I will probably get one of those dual core 3 airel Asus ones. Do you plug that straight into the socket like ADSL or do you have to plug that into something else? I don't want people to have the ability to use my connection by paying as they go like every house around me allows.

Back
Top Bottom