BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

^^

Yes HH5 has all gigabit pots.

However, i would recommend a gigabit switch for all wired computers, and the wireless ones, if they are G/N it wont matter for speed, unless you have wireless AC adapter.

If you got the HH5 you would simply plug it in, but you dont need the white openreach modem, would take seconds.

My setup right now is

HH5 -> Cisco switch -> server + my pc

HH5 wireless ->tv
->laptop
->mobile

I'd look up the TV on wired however i have no way to hide the cable without decent effort, either way plex sorts it out fine.

Seems your luckily not on the crazy routing a lot are on - some crazy **** *** at BT seems to think Somerset and Sheffield are close to each other :( so I get an extra ~12ms on my latency before I've even got close to the internet itself.

You know i've had enough BT engineers come around fixing problems that i could make a TV show about it, while i was with o2.

I bet if you calculate the cost of all the people talking to me from call centers + cost of engineers o2 have lost sums well into the thousands, even when making profit from mobile phone contracts for the last 5 years.

So really i deserve this :D

^^

Yes HH5 has all gigabit pots.

However, i would recommend a gigabit switch for all wired computers, and the wireless ones, if they are G/N it wont matter for speed, unless you have wireless AC adapter.

If you got the HH5 you would simply plug it in, but you dont need the white openreach modem, would take seconds.

My setup right now is

HH5 wireless ->tv
->laptop
->mobile

I'd look up the TV on wired however i have no way to hide the cable without decent effort, either way plex sorts it out fine.

I have a 8 port gigabit switch, which will connect my new NAS with link aggregation, hence I want to make sure it is connected to a gigabit port. I also have apple time capsule and it's wireless performance is streets ahead of the BT HH3.

My setup right now is

HH5 wireless ->tv
->laptop
->mobile

How have you connected the switch, is it to the red port or one of the four lan ports on the HH5?

Faceplate changed, HH5 plugged in and we are done.

Old:

qv7d.jpg

New:

xh8g.jpg

:D

I might be having a problem.

My upload speed which is around 17-18mbit. Thats what speedtest.net tells me consistently, if i upload to google drive it is also going @ that speed or close enough. However uploading to 3 friends directly and also using filesovermiles.com or 2-3 other speed test websites such as http://speedof.me/, my upload is only about 6-8mbit.

Which is leading me to believe that upload speed is limited except to specific servers, like google or speedtest.net and probably other popular ones like drop box or whatever.

Anyone else can run these tests and post.. Thanks

My cabinet is enabled, but the BT wholesale website says not available at my address. However the website says that other addresses connected to the same cabinet can get FTTC. I'm probably about 200 metres at most away from the cabinet, so I'm not quite understanding how BT decide which properties can get FTTC and which can't.

It's all made even more annoying by the fact that there a 3 new build properties 2 doors down the road from me which are connected to a different cabinet and have access to 80/20 FTTC. :mad:

I'm not getting on with the <8Mbps I'm getting in my new address. I was on 19+Mbps at my old place. So I'm looking into Fibre.

I have 3 months to go on my Sky telephone/internet contract, but it only costs £11pm to cancel early. So I've been looking at my options.

Sky won't do me any offers on fibre whilst I'm a customer, so I could wait until January and see what I could get. But Sky c0cked up my house switch, so I'm quite happy to ditch them.

BT are currently offering £100 Sainsburys voucher and TCB £84, which makes them a contender. They estimate my d/l speeds will be ~42Mbps on Infinity 2, so I may as well just go with Infinity 1. Although, I need to do it today as the offer expires soon and I'm still worried about all the horror stories I hear about BT. :(

Last edited:
Ah, yes, download limits. I don't do those. ;)

I've read into it some more and it may be worth paying the extra couple of quid per month to go with Inf 2 and get the HH5 with ac usb dongle for my laptop.

I'm on Infinity and have been for a while; I've had no problems, I will be moving to Plusnet but not due to the poor service etc it's just cheaper (plusnet that is).

Should be fine on Infinity.

I have a 8 port gigabit switch, which will connect my new NAS with link aggregation, hence I want to make sure it is connected to a gigabit port. I also have apple time capsule and it's wireless performance is streets ahead of the BT HH3.

Ray you know you can use the TC in place of the HH3 right? Just wondered if that would be better for you as a solution :)

Our estimate was 42mb but we're getting 80, so don't believe the estimate.

Going direct to the BT website gave me three options:

1) Infinity 1 - 40gb cap
2) Infinity 1 - unlimited
3) Infinity 2 - unlimited

Going via TopCashBack, I only got 1) & 3), so I went with 3) anyway. It is encouraging that I might get more than 40Mbps. :D

Yet another openreach administrative £*!$ up. I had FTTC installed Monday morning. Engineer arrived on time installed the faceplate and modem. Although we struggled to setup my router we got there on the end.

Received an email from my ISP this morning saying that the engineer was unable to access the property to install the service and I would be charged for the missed appointment. I don't think so!!

Quick update on this. I contacted my ISP (zen) and told them that the appointment wasn't missed and that it's all installed and working. They cancelled the missed appointment charge and said they'd chase up bt to mark the job as complete. Received a phone call this morning from an openreach engineer saying that he'd be around shortly to install our fibre. Think he was a bit confused to hear it was done a week ago. Who'd have guessed that a communications company would have internal communication problems?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom