BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Just got the notification that Openreach FTTP is available here so I've placed the order with a provider that offers 1-month terms so I can have the fibre installed and an ONT on the wall alongside the existing ONT that Lit installed. Mainly to ensure any future migration is painless and also giving me an option to change provider quickly in the event of a fault that goes on for a while.

Soldato
Just got the notification that Openreach FTTP is available here so I've placed the order with a provider that offers 1-month terms so I can have the fibre installed and an ONT on the wall alongside the existing ONT that Lit installed. Mainly to ensure any future migration is painless and also giving me an option to change provider quickly in the event of a fault that goes on for a while.
Which provider?

Why the secrecy :cry:

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Soldato
I have just done an availability check with Aquiss as I am considering them for FTTP and two minutes later a technical support person replies with the details and on a Saturday! I have to say I am impressed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got to the end of their 12 months with Aquiss and negotiated a better price? First six months at half price made it decent value for the year. But moving forward it’s not good value at full price.

Man of Honour
Anyone got to the end of their 12 months with Aquiss and negotiated a better price? First six months at half price made it decent value for the year. But moving forward it’s not good value at full price.
I mean feel free to move to an ISP that is won’t do annual rises. Aquiss don’t strike me as the sort of ISP to enter games.

Associate
Been a week since we moved from Virgin 1Gb to BT 900Mb FTTP. Half the latency, full speed downloads on Steam/other game download services, one happy teddy bear. No altnet FTTP providers available yet, so this will do for a few years.

Associate
I see if you move to EE (free for existing BT customers) you can now get 900Mbs for £49 or 1.6Gbps for £69. I think the £49 is also free for 3 months. If you move to any of these they will also do you a SIM only deals with Unlimited data and calls for £10. Doesn't appear to matter how many months are left on the Bt contracts either.

Soldato
I see if you move to EE (free for existing BT customers) you can now get 900Mbs for £49 or 1.6Gbps for £69. I think the £49 is also free for 3 months. If you move to any of these they will also do you a SIM only deals with Unlimited data and calls for £10. Doesn't appear to matter how many months are left on the Bt contracts either.
115 upload with that is pretty poor.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
115 upload with that is pretty poor.
It is, but its comparable to all mainstream providers i.e. those who's services are supplied via Openreach FTTP or Virgin.

Its only the Alt nets who cover a small percentage of the country who offer higher/symmetrical upload speeds, but in reality, how many of us really need an upload in excess of 100Mbps?

Soldato
It is, but its comparable to all mainstream providers i.e. those who's services are supplied via Openreach FTTP or Virgin.

Its only the Alt nets who cover a small percentage of the country who offer higher/symmetrical upload speeds, but in reality, how many of us really need an upload in excess of 100Mbps?
EE is openreach isn't it? I thought EE is basically BT.
Are they all going to be so low on the upload.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They can only provide what Openreach offer. Openreach won't move to symmetric products until their customers (who are the ISPs, not you) ask for them and they can see their sales being impacted as a result of not offering it. Currently they have something like 35% takeup where their FTTP network is offered, which would make any other network builder jealous, so they see no need to change anything.

Back
Top Bottom