Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Official Thread

Soldato
That's not who I was on about. The ladder one is the one that's gone downhill, they're not offshore.

Edit: It's so bloody annoying not being able to mention their damn name in here! :p

That's a real shame. I think we should all band together and complain. It's the only reason i went there rather than anywhere else. We'll see what happens...and if it ain't good enough i'll be having some words.

Soldato
well my company dispatched on wednesday apparently so its all looking good :D hoping to get together with some ocuk guys and get a few games in! I wont be playing on friday tho :(

Soldato
Cancelled my pre-order for the 360, as I will be picking up a PS3 tomorrow, so decided to get it for that instead.
Will be interesting to see what it's like, only tried the beta on my 360...

I've heard PSN is in its infancy, so to speak, so that could be the reason for the lower MP score, i.e. it's not as 'established' as Live?

Scort.

Soldato
Cancelled my pre-order for the 360, as I will be picking up a PS3 tomorrow, so decided to get it for that instead.
Will be interesting to see what it's like, only tried the beta on my 360...

I've heard PSN is in its infancy, so to speak, so that could be the reason for the lower MP score, i.e. it's not as 'established' as Live?

Scort.
I'd go for the 360 version if you have both options. 3 main reasons:

360 pad is better for shooters. This one is down to opinion of course so disregard if you feel otherwise.

Matches will be much easier to find on 360 as the number of 360's online is far greater than the number of PS3's online.

The matchmaking on PS3 is an unknown quantity as Infinity Ward had to build it all from scratch. The 360 version simply uses the matchmaking built into Live. When you include things like the across the board FL that Live offers, it's hard to think of a single reason to go for the PS3 version over the 360 version if given the choice.

Caporegime
I'd go for the 360 version if you have both options. 3 main reasons:

360 pad is better for shooters. This one is down to opinion of course so disregard if you feel otherwise.

Matches will be much easier to find on 360 as the number of 360's online is far greater than the number of PS3's online.

The matchmaking on PS3 is an unknown quantity as Infinity Ward had to build it all from scratch. The 360 version simply uses the matchmaking built into Live. When you include things like the across the board FL that Live offers, it's hard to think of a single reason to go for the PS3 version over the 360 version if given the choice.

You asked for a single reason: Hosted servers, over p2p servers.

The only times I have tried to play 16 player games on a 360 it has been abysmal as most of the users have crappy connections which led to lag, dropouts etc. I think most 360 users will agree with this. The others will say "smaller games are better". ;)

Having said this I did not play the COD4 beta so have no direct experience of this, with this particular game.

Only time will tell which is better for online stability I guess.

rp200

Edit: I don't plan on buying this on either system.

Soldato
You asked for a single reason: Hosted servers, over p2p servers.

The only times I have tried to play 16 player games on a 360 it has been abysmal as most of the users have crappy connections which led to lag, dropouts etc. I think most 360 users will agree with this. The others will say "smaller games are better". ;)

Having said this I did not play the COD4 beta so have no direct experience of this, with this particular game.

Only time will tell which is better for online stability I guess.

rp200

Edit: I don't plan on buying this on either system.
You're right, dedicated servers is a huge plus point for the PS3, and something which I forgot to mention. From my point of view, another advantage is that I can run my PS3 at 1080p, something which I can't do with my 360 as my tv doesn't support 1080p over VGA (and it looks terrible over component).

Even with those, the online would have to be extremely bad for me to go for the PS3 version.

Associate
You're right, dedicated servers is a huge plus point for the PS3, and something which I forgot to mention. From my point of view, another advantage is that I can run my PS3 at 1080p, something which I can't do with my 360 as my tv doesn't support 1080p over VGA (and it looks terrible over component).

Even with those, the online would have to be extremely bad for me to go for the PS3 version.

I'm getting mine on 360.

Better controls and more friends online.

Soldato
Has anyone had a dispatch email from the 'ladder' company.
My status is still showing as ordered.. nothing else!.
This is really really poor for them, they always used to be spot on.

JUSt spoke to the online help person and they say its being dispatched this morning.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest, I am just as happy to own the game on PS3 as I am for 360.

I have only got back into console gaming this year (last unit owned was a Dreamcast), and to be honest, I think both joypads are pap :p Given time though, I got used to the 360 one, so can’t imagine PS3 will be any different.

I understand that the MP side of the PS3 is a but rubbish at the moment, I have only just heard that the option to private chat still isn’t working – apparently cutting you off when you start a game, but this doesn’t bother me too much.

It will be interesting to see if/how the limited space on 360 discs has affected the game, if at all…

Scort.

Associate
Just been into my local German retailer as they are good at having games out on the Wednesday or Thursday before release. They have the PC version and the PS3 version. No 360 one though.

Soldato

The BETA ran superbly for me, had a few games where i lagged out which was annoying, but considering the amount i played, was unsurprising.

dedicated servers would be so much better though i'd imagine.

PS. if you have a 360 and a PS3 then there is only one version worth getting...the one with achievements ;)

Back
Top Bottom