Car issues, engine failure.

You say that, but Lexus/Toyota seems to be able to get it right. Never any huge reliability issues with them AND their customer service is good. Take one of their cars in for warranty work (other than something minor or cosmetic) and the staff are so surprised they come out to see what it is.

Take a JLR car in and it's get to the back of the long queue and if you are lucky you won't get mugged off.

This is true, through they have had their own shares of issues aswell, they had a spare of engines in the Yaris that would burn oil like no tomorrow, but they were sorted quickly and quietly. The 2.4 engine (though I don't think this was officially sold in the UK,) had head gasket issues.

I did want to go back to Toyota, but I like the finesse of the German counter parts, I keep looking at lexus as an alternative but the CVT gear box puts me off, and the engine range available in UK, I like turbo cars, or at least cars with grunt for effortless driving, don't like having to wring an engines neck to get it going.

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested. I spoke to the garage, regarding the actual failure and what caused it. So the main crank bearing spun and blocked off the oil pathways. This caused over heating, causing two of the big end bearings give up. Causing damage to the conrods on those two cylinders and the crank. Did not snap the crank.

The garage and warranty company seem to be a stalemate . The garage wants to use their approved engine and parts providers. What makes their estimate what it is. The warranty want to the cheapest they can find.

I spoke to the warranty company, was like hitting my head against a brick wall. The operator couldn’t answer some my questions. Only the engineer could! But the engineers can’t talk to the policy holders, because they only deal the garages because they deal with technical side of thing.

They did try to connect me, to the engineer, when I told them, “that’s ok, I am engineer and if they want to talk technical terms with me I am more than happy to do that”. But the engineer refused and stated that it company policy that engineers do not talk to the warranty holder.

One of the issues now, is that the garage have now lost their window to do the engine swap. So they are not happy with the warranty, who took time to approve the repair etc.

It sounds like it’s going to happen, just when and who get their way with parts providers.

I am just glad I had some savings and was able to purchase a cheap run around. If I didn’t I think I would have been, very stressed, jumping up and down with everyone involved. I have been patient with all of this but that’s now wearing very thin.

Last edited:
This is true, through they have had their own shares of issues aswell, they had a spare of engines in the Yaris that would burn oil like no tomorrow, but they were sorted quickly and quietly. The 2.4 engine (though I don't think this was officially sold in the UK,) had head gasket issues.

I did want to go back to Toyota, but I like the finesse of the German counter parts, I keep looking at lexus as an alternative but the CVT gear box puts me off, and the engine range available in UK, I like turbo cars, or at least cars with grunt for effortless driving, don't like having to wring an engines neck to get it going.
My current run around is a little old Corolla. That it’s simple and just works. I am a Jap or German man when it comes to cars. The one time I don’t, look where it has got me lol.
I am thinking once all of this is done and everything has settled. I am thinking about getting a Lexus hybrid, as I can’t afford to go EV yet. But I will cross that bridge when that time comes.

Some of the VAG engines burn oil as well, but they just pretend it doesn't happen.

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested. I spoke to the garage, regarding the actual failure and what caused it. So the main crank bearing spun and blocked off the oil pathways. This caused over heating, causing two of the big end bearings give up. Causing damage to the conrods on those two cylinders and the crank. Did not snap the crank.

Yep, standard for these engines. Starts with a spun bearing and then catastrophic failure. If not that, it's timingchain or exploding turbo related death which is now happening to F-Paces.

Last edited:
Yep, standard for these engines. Starts with a spun bearing and then catastrophic failure. If not that, it's timingchain or exploding turbo related death which is now happening to F-Paces.

Yep definitely, I was aware of the issue when I bought it. It was definitely one of the reasons i actually take out a 3 year warranty for a change. But at the time, most of the failures appeared to be with engines that had been in JLR 4x4 vehicles. With the extra load and four wheel drive being a contributing to the issue.

Saying that in the XF and XJ owners groups I am apart of, there does seem to be an increasing number of us who having the issue.

Regarding the f-pace engines, I wouldn’t touch a jag with a Ingenium engine. Far too many issues there and Jag are just burying their head in the sand with it.

Yep definitely, I was aware of the issue when I bought it. It was definitely one of the reasons i actually take out a 3 year warranty for a change. But at the time, most of the failures appeared to be with engines that had been in JLR 4x4 vehicles. With the extra load and four wheel drive being a contributing to the issue.

Saying that in the XF and XJ owners groups I am apart of, there does seem to be an increasing number of us who having the issue.

Regarding the f-pace engines, I wouldn’t touch a jag with a Ingenium engine. Far too many issues there and Jag are just burying their head in the sand with it.

The latest thoughts are it's the drag from the auto box that causes it.

Mostly on land rovers cos of the weight they having to shift, but as it is now rather common on jags aswell

Some of the VAG engines burn oil as well, but they just pretend it doesn't happen.

Yes vaguely are a nightmare for that, apparently burning a litre of oil every 600km is perfectly within specifications..... Obviously it isn't but that's how they get out of their warranty claims

The problem also seems to be that half the people in technical postitions in their manufacturing plant, have never actually manufactured anything, so they are fairly clueless from a quality point of view about whats ok and what isnt.

I think when they went to this whole no degree no full time contract shinanigans they absolutely shot themselves in the foot. Some of the quality Department people I've dealty with over the years that probably couldnt make a dinky car let alone a proper car. It is scary!
Same with everything these days qualifications coming out the wazoo but when it comes to any practical experience they're as much use as a chocolate teapot previous employer had to get some people in who knew what they were doing, naturally they didn't have the same qualifications so were paid a lot less but they did the actual work while the other guy just pontificated

Back
Top Bottom