*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Man of Honour
Got bought a complete Autoglym kit which is pretty cool, contains most of their products, many of which I needed top ups of. I was going to wasn’t he car today, but I’ll do it another day I think. By the end of the summer if needs a good paint prep with clay, wax etc

Think I’ve got enough Bilthamber foam for the winter. Now is the time to get it, seems difficult to source in the winter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cleaning some wheel bolts, they've come up clean after putting them in lactic acid and then rinsing with IPA. Anything need to be done to them after that?

edit:

WD40

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried searching and don't think the discussions are relevant but has anyone else tried the one bucket method?

Saves on the grit guards and removes the worry of scratching the car completely.
I use one bucket. I believe it's a 15L one. Fill to about 12L. No grit guard.

If your super particular about keeping your car pristine showroom cond... Or just had a full correction done then I'd use 2 bucket.

Last edited:
Don
Saves on the grit guards
Not that grid guards are expensive anyway, but they aren't strictly necessary for 2 bucket (I don't use them, but I'm disciplined enough not to drag my mitt around in the bottom of either bucket)

removes the worry of scratching the car completely.
Not sure that's true - you are still touching the car, and even "non-touch" cleaning (like pressure washing) can probably (however unlikely) still scratch the car if any dirt/grit/contaminants gets blasted a certain way

Underboss
OP
BV5zeJh.jpg

just arrived

wait, i didn't order any blue MF towels

FREEBIE !

Last edited:
Associate
Not that grid guards are expensive anyway, but they aren't strictly necessary for 2 bucket (I don't use them, but I'm disciplined enough not to drag my mitt around in the bottom of either bucket)

Not sure that's true - you are still touching the car, and even "non-touch" cleaning (like pressure washing) can probably (however unlikely) still scratch the car if any dirt/grit/contaminants gets blasted a certain way
True on the cost but just another factor to delete and make more efficient.

In terms of scratches it's more about the chance of dirt from re-using rinsed mitts. One bucket is a fresh mitt for every section so 0 chance of dirt from the bucket harming the car vs the non-zero chance in the two bucket.

Not advocating that one bucket is wholly better just that aspect is a big positive.

Soldato
Yep one bucket in this meaning is use multiple mitts, but each one only enters the bucket when clean to pick up shampoo. Wipe car then throw on a dirty pile to be washed rather than rinsing the mitt.
Lol I'd need 20 mitts. Hell no.

2 mitts 1 bucket. Sounds like a P movie but hey.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In the summer with a ceramic coated body and filtered water I don't even have to use a mit really. A jet wash and foam will do the job for a 99% finish and because of the filtered water do not even have to towel dry. I only use a brush for wheels.

Last edited:
Soldato
The car is going in tomorrow for some last minute warranty work before the main manufacturer warranty runs out, decided to give it a clean beforrhand as it was filthy due to last cleaning it about 6 weeks ago.

Don
The car is going in tomorrow for some last minute warranty work before the main manufacturer warranty runs out, decided to give it a clean beforrhand as it was filthy due to last cleaning it about 6 weeks ago.
Always a good idea in my mind. If I present a car that looks like it's cared for, hopefully whoever works on it will take care of it too.

(I know it's not always the case, and indeed there isn't always the opportunity to, but it makes me feel better at least knowing I've tried)

Soldato
Also tell them not to wash it.

I gave my car in just after a wash and it was near damn-it immaculate. I thought I didn't have to tell them not to wash it as it was obvious it didn't need one.

What happens... They wash it and it looks 10x worse than when I gave it in.

Soldato
I always ask them to write on the service notes not to wash it, and I have some do not wash signs I hang from the rear view mirror. Not that it stopped Thames Motor Group from still washing it once, who decided to try and tell me they stopped them from doing so just in time. Only they had gone as far as dressing the tires with some god awful petroleum based dressing. It really gunked up trying to remove it.

Associate
Always a good idea in my mind. If I present a car that looks like it's cared for, hopefully whoever works on it will take care of it too.

(I know it's not always the case, and indeed there isn't always the opportunity to, but it makes me feel better at least knowing I've tried)
Never thought of that. That’s a really good case for it though.

Getting mine detailed next week so will be able to keep on top of it easier going forward (black cars, man…)

Underboss
OP
so the car pro bag i bought , it came like this

i4lVvUA.jpg

some of the clasps are open others are not

so i contacted in2detailing and they said they haven't had any complaints before but would go and check a few
and apparently they are all like this

i thought it was faulty, to me you cant use them at times

if they are saying not faulty, i can return them under distance selling act and within 30 days of receipt

Last edited:
Caporegime
id be interested to hear your thoughts on both clay towels
So I got up early today before the sun hit my drive. I foamed twice and washed my car with a mitt. Then I used the DIY detail clay towel and Iron remover. As he did in the video, spray on the panel and one on the cloth. Went in sceptical but my car hasn't had any fall out cleaning in a year and it's absolutely faultless now. I used next to no product, no marking on my paintwork and its perfectly smooth. I used quick beads afterwards and my car paint feels better than the day I picked the car up.

My wifes car hasn't had any fallout removal since 2019 so I will try the other towel when I do that car. Barely added much time to my normal wash routine. Highly recommend you give it a try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom