*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Associate
It’ll be fine but I think you could get better value by purchasing separate stuff.

Das6 V2 + Koch Chemie Red Pad/Compound + Purple Pad/Compound would be a good place to start.

5.5/5 inch pads rather than 6/6.5

Got any pictures of the paint? Not sure I’d start at wet sanding - I’d be inclined to try polishing it first and then wet sanding if you NEED to.
I'll try to get get some tomorrow. The roof is burnt with bird poo.

Soldato
All washed down and clean after the winds and rains of the past few days. That’s not snow on the ground btw, just foam! Used my standard 1, 2, 3 of Autoglym Polar Blast, Polar Wash and Polar Seal. Left the wheels for another day as I only intended to give the car a quick rinse down.

Picked up quite a few stone chips on the front spoiler that I’ll need to look at. They aren’t deep but there are a few of them - are chipsticks still an option these days?

Last edited:
Soldato
My bottles of Aqua Coat arrived yesterday and I’m off until Thursday so should be able to put it to use.

I’ll get some videos of water behaviour and upload as a GIF here :)
Looking forward to it.

Good luck though as temps are too cold for me now. Gave it a wash a few days back when it was 13 degs.

Apart form the Auto Finesse order confirmation email early in the week we've have no updates on the order at all. Talk about snappy service. Anyhow I'm sure they'll turn up eventually.

Soldato
Looking forward to it.

Good luck though as temps are too cold for me now. Gave it a wash a few days back when it was 13 degs.

Apart form the Auto Finesse order confirmation email early in the week we've have no updates on the order at all. Talk about snappy service. Anyhow I'm sure they'll turn up eventually.

My Partners Car is only ever cleaned inside and outside by me, she’s always with the car but on Wednesday I should be able to spend a few hours on it, I can’t let a little cold put me off :p It’s rotten being the family wagon.

That’s not great, always been quite quick with me and I ordered the day I posted.

I saw something on their socials about a new distribution centre, that and the Christmas/New Year period causing delays perhaps.

Argue the working days and get your postage fee back, winner winner!

Last edited:
Soldato
On the only day I had some time to give our cars a clean it was of course raining….

Despite the weather I soldiered on and went ahead with a quick maintenance wash followed by Aqua Coat.

Gyeon Wet Coat is a step above in water behaviour, more than I originally remembered but Aqua is still a great performer and considering how cheaply it was available… no brainer!

Water Behaivour on Glass is next level, still performs well on Paintwork and produces lovely beading from rainfall but when being hit directly with a hose it tends to sheet on paintwork.
IMG-7143.gif

This car goes many months between washes and no pre existing protection was present as you can see below.

IMG-7145.gif

Results after application of Aqua Coat

Last edited:
Soldato
Is Aqua Coat being discontinued, checked the AF website and it's sold out in all sizes apart from 5L.

I currently use Polar Seal from AG but always like checking out new products :)

Soldato
Need to start washing my car more often but I struggle for facilities based on where I live. We have a jet-wash but it's broken at the minute so it's a manual hosepipe (low pressure). I've got a few things but having had the car 2 months I need to set some kind of base layer. I have a pack of the Auto-finesse detailing kit from my previous car, at least!

Underboss
OP
Need to start washing my car more often but I struggle for facilities based on where I live. We have a jet-wash but it's broken at the minute so it's a manual hosepipe (low pressure). I've got a few things but having had the car 2 months I need to set some kind of base layer. I have a pack of the Auto-finesse detailing kit from my previous car, at least!

I know the feeling

It's difficult where I live, as much as I enjoy washing it, my car is like 100 yards up the road

Soldato
Two questions if I may, to the hive mind of detailing and washing :)

I'm currently using AG Polar stuff on my cars - Polar Blast, Wash then Polar Seal. Seems to be decent stuff. However I've been looking at other spray on/rinse off alternatives to the Polar Seal just out of curiosity, really.

Looking at Koch Chemie PW which seems to get good reviews. Also Gyeon Wet Coat. Just looking for something to use every few weeks during the winter road grime season. Anyone got any experiences with either of these? I keep seeing Facebook ads popping up from places like EZ Detailing and similar, with stuff that appears to do the same thing but I don't know enough about all the different types available to make an informed choice, hence the question. Pretty happy with the AG Polar Seal so far but who knows, maybe there's better stuff out there? Also, can you spray these finishing sealant products on wheels? What if it gets on the brake discs? I find AG Polar Seal can leave stains on the windscreen even when properly rinsed and dried off - do Koch Chemie PW or Gyeon Wet Coat do something similar?

Second question - I currently use a Karcher K2. It serves its purpose but lately I've been considering buying something to replace it. The Karcher K4 seems to be a front runner but there's also a Halfords Advanced PW50 washer on sale which appears to be a bit more powerful (2500W motor and 195 bar pressure vs the K4 at 1800W and 130 bar). One difference is the Halfords one has a hose on a drum which rolls up and stores on the washer body, although I can't see that as much of a huge advantage.

Is power/higher pressure 'all that' when it comes to pressure washers? Does it make much difference at the end of the day?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be decent stuff. However I've been looking at other spray on/rinse off alternatives to the Polar Seal just out of curiosity, really.

I use Bilt Hamber Touch On, or GTechniq Ceramic Wash.

Touch on can be used in a snow foam bottle, topped up with water. Spray on, rinse off. Comes in little packets.

Ceramic wash replaces your wash. It’s easier, as it removes a step, but it’s not as hydrophobic. Plus they ask you to use cold water - not a chance am I doing that in the winter :p

I like touch on to just speed up my wash process.

I’ve actually got some wet coat to try out next, I can let you know my thoughts if you like. I generally find though that the spray on with a bottle and then rinse off types to not be great - mainly the coverage.

Soldato
I’ve actually got some wet coat to try out next, I can let you know my thoughts if you like. I generally find though that the spray on with a bottle and then rinse off types to not be great - mainly the coverage.

Cheers, yes - please do let me know your thoughts. I'm of a mind to just order a bottle of both PW and Wet Coat and just try them out, I'll end up getting through them anyway over the coming months.

Soldato
Second question - I currently use a Karcher K2. It serves its purpose but lately I've been considering buying something to replace it. The Karcher K4 seems to be a front runner but there's also a Halfords Advanced PW50 washer on sale which appears to be a bit more powerful (2500W motor and 195 bar pressure vs the K4 at 1800W and 130 bar). One difference is the Halfords one has a hose on a drum which rolls up and stores on the washer body, although I can't see that as much of a huge advantage.

Is power/higher pressure 'all that' when it comes to pressure washers? Does it make much difference at the end of the day?

Forgot to add this to my post above.

Water flow rate is king, not pressure, for car washing.

I’ve had and used different pressure washers, including the one you have now.

I’ve currently got a K5 which is about all you ever need for car washing.

My list for future washer would be:

-> 8m+ hose on a reel - I upgraded my standard Karcher one to a 10m, which isn’t on a reel. It’s a PITA and gets tangled a lot. Putting away is also annoying.

-> Metal pump for longevity.

-> High flow rate.

Based on the above, I would probably end up with something from Ava which meets the above.

Soldato
Hi people

having two new cars delivered around June time and have been asked to buy the Guard X from Mercedes on both cars.
We have refrained from purchasing this as have sought an independent detailer locally https://blackcountrydetailing.co.uk/services/new-car-paint-protection/

Obviously I'm still looking into detailing and ceramic coating as I'm a complete novice with this but (maybe a stupid question) is it worth it?

Speaking to the detailer yesterday he quoted £499 per car and will remove all imperfections to paint and then protect the whole car. interior, exterior, wheels and windows.
He stated the ceramic coating can last upto approx 5 years. Looking at the portfolio it shows some pretty impressive results.

What protection does ceramic coating have for the paint?

Back
Top Bottom