Carrying something for self defence

Caporegime
I don't think you'd have much problem stabbing a burglar in your house so long as he didn't immediately run away when first confronted... I mean if you've caught him inside your house and his immediate action is to resist/not get out of there then fair game. The issue is though it ought to be something you've simply grabbed in the heat of the moment and not a premeditated attack. That complete stranger breaking into your house is a threat and you don't know what he's carrying, people have shot burglars and been fine in terms of the law so stabbing shouldn't be an issue in legitimate self defence either.

However if you hear someone attempting to break in and you sneak out the back door, creep round and stab them in the back then you' might well be in big trouble. That is a bit more premeditated and there isn't arguably an immediate need to defend yourself.

Soldato
You are still only allowed to use reasonable and proportional force.

ex:
If someone breaks into your house and you clock them on the head once with a blunt object and knock them out I'd be VERY surprised if any court in this land will find you guilty of a crime. (Reasonable force)
However if you decide to batter them into a coma then good luck in court, because you're gonna need it!

Ohh and your stabbing them in the neck with a 12inch knife WILL land you in serious trouble unless you can prove that he posed a threat to you or a loved ones life. ie. he came at you with a weapon

Am not being funny but if an intruder is in your home what is reasonable force?

You don't know if they are carrying a weapon, you don't know what there motives are, are they there to rob you or kill you.

I don't give a flying ****, you break into my house you getting it no matter what the law says. ;)

Caporegime
The OP sounds like you're trying to secure a scrap yard and then your talk of implants makes it sound like you develop medical products.

Soldato
Am not being funny but if an intruder is in your home what is reasonable force?

You don't know if they are carrying a weapon, you don't know what there motives are, are they there to rob you or kill you.

I don't give a flying ****, you break into my house you getting it no matter what the law says. ;)

Crazy would invite them up to his bedroom and show them endless Donald Trump videos....

Soldato
I reckon the kind of unscrupulous characters you would encounter in a violent situation would have experience and an ability to kick your ass anyway. Carrying a weapon with zero experience of scrapping with people is probably a surefire way of having it used against you :D

Soldato
kubotan legal if on your keys I have one wife has one ect

Gov site says no..

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes

Edit : reading there is some debate on the non hollow ones being legal. Sounds like a massive grey area which could bite you on the ass.

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can use reasonable force to defend yourself. Is planting a baseball bat / metal bar considered reasonable? Probably more on the side of pre-meditated assault, if you injured them with it.

I really hate the law when it comes to this.

"Reasonable Force"

If your life is in danger you aren't going to take out some digital scales and measure the force of blows you will inflict before hand.

Then in court the only way to get around it is by saying "I feared for my life." "I was fearful they were going to kill me."

Soldato
The sword cane is fine on your property but a fair chance of prison if in public even if you were attacked:(:mad::confused:

However anyone can have a "bad" knee and need to use a walking aid, there are some handy carbon fibre walking sticks available that are handy to have around should the need arise and you have a painful ankle or whatnot.

Soldato
Are you the actual security guard then? Surely your training states not to engage unless you have no option. The torch is a good idea, however, if you had the torch in that situation would you really have stood a chance against two guys, one of which already had a weapon? The odds are against you.

I know most people seem to think that they could do over a burglar, but what if there are 4 of them? There are so many variables that the best option, as you found out, is to call the police ASAP, hence why I said rape alarm, it'll make a lot of noise and hopefully cause them to scupper.

Excuse the tabloid link but even a professional boxer can get done over by a 17 year old: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/anthony-crolla-attack-boy-aged-4842820

Associate
I don't understand this argument that if you carry a weapon it's likely to be taken and used against you. If it is that easy then there's no need to carry anything for protection, just disarm your attacker and use their weapon.

Back
Top Bottom