Cat C Bike

Soldato
Yeah mine was Cat C because there was damage to the headstock and marks on the forks, no mention of it being bent though, they didn't even bother to check.

*I dont know why I said there was damage to the headstock, there wasn't lol it was just to the fairing and clock bracket which attaches to the headstock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah mine was Cat C because there was damage to the headstock and marks on the forks, no mention of it being bent though, they didn't even bother to check.

They don't care - they only check the numbers to make sure it's not stolen or destroyed. MOT won't pick it up either. It's down to you to measure wheelbase and 'feel'.

I raced a 'straight' GSXR1000 once - ballistic missile and would wheelie coming down devils elbow at Malllory at 100mph+ but was slower than my 600 as couldn't get it to handle and said something was wrong. Turns out the swingarm and one fork leg were bent. It 'shouldn't' be but be wary and 'feel' for it.

The usual straight line test - get up to 60 mph and take hands off bars a bit for a second or two and be ready to catch it if it does something it shouldn't. If it rides straight it's ok, if it veers it's knackered. Like a car and tracking/subframes etc.

Caporegime
OP
yh ill check it

I would have thought the forks would be more bent/mangled if the frame was bent in anyway though but we'll see

jk84n4.jpg

there's where they have marked the wheel

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing to remember is USD forks are a lot stronger and the frame will be more likely to bend (esp if an alloy frame) as RSU forks and yokes I used to see them straightened just by pushing on them!! Scary as I used to race on them and the braking force was immense when racing!!

Soldato
They don't care - they only check the numbers to make sure it's not stolen or destroyed. MOT won't pick it up either. It's down to you to measure wheelbase and 'feel'.

I raced a 'straight' GSXR1000 once - ballistic missile and would wheelie coming down devils elbow at Malllory at 100mph+ but was slower than my 600 as couldn't get it to handle and said something was wrong. Turns out the swingarm and one fork leg were bent. It 'shouldn't' be but be wary and 'feel' for it.

The usual straight line test - get up to 60 mph and take hands off bars a bit for a second or two and be ready to catch it if it does something it shouldn't. If it rides straight it's ok, if it veers it's knackered. Like a car and tracking/subframes etc.

Yeah I have a feeling there is something wrong with the back end now, the forks I got repaired and straightened right after the crash.
But the back and is feeling strange now but it wasn't there a few months ago, I am just hoping its bearings, going to strip the swing arm next week and see whats what....

Caporegime
OP
Here now,gave it a good look over seems fine,seems narrow by the wheel/bellypan but I think that's just the way it is,forks looked straight to me,no damage or missing paint round the headstock

Just a chip on the wheel paint and a slight scuff on lower fork leg

Soldato
£3100 is a lot of money not to be 100% sure. tbh a cat c, or any insurance write off isn't something I'd consider really.

But if you've seen it now and are happy, then good deal :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope to god nothing major is wrong with it,thats all:eek::(

its a 2011 with 4k miles on the clock

EDIT: I also missed a brand new 2014 Daytona 675 with abs for £5200 0 miles

Was the daytona water damaged by any chance? Remember seeing a few street triples and daytonas going cheap when I was looking to buy at the end of last year that had been caught in a flooded dealer last year...

Back
Top Bottom